It sneaks up on you.

Options
I lost my weight by April of last year. In June I had a hysterectomy. I was scared about gaining but was able to maintain my weight loss even without exercise for 6 weeks. I was eating when I was hungry and things went along just fine. Then in October, my brother came to town. I think we ate out about 3 times that weekend. About a week later, I noticed I was putting on about 2 pounds a day for about 4 days. Now I know this wasn't actually based on 4 days. I had been indulging a little too much in the weeks before but it didn't start showing until then. I found myself up about 10 pounds all of a sudden. For the last month, I've been exercising like a fiend and really trying to watch my calories. Unfortunately, it's not coming off like it came on. I'm down about 4 pounds. It is so easy to give up when things are hard, but I've since decided that it's not about the number on the scale. It's about me doing the right things. I can't freak out when I'm up a couple of pounds because I can look at my log and see that I had too much sodium the day before or I can feel that my leg muscles are way too tight from a particularly hard workout.
I guess my point is that with this process you have to keep an eye out for yourself and make sure you start doing the right things again just as soon as that scale starts going the wrong way. It is hard and it's so easy to give up, but why do that when you worked so hard to get where you are now?

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    Well done for not giving up! Your post is just the motivation I need to keep going. thank you :flowerforyou:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think it is harder with the holiday season but I know we can do this!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    So here is my question as I am in the maintenance area. How often do you weigh yourself now that you are maintaining?
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. That's not good for everyone but it works for me. If I watch it, I know when it's going the wrong way and can do something about it. When I gained this weight to begin with, it was because I didn't step on the scale for 3 months. When I maintained my post pregnancy weight loss for 10 plus years, it was because I weighed daily and adjusted my eating accordingly.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yikes! It's so easy to gain isn't it?

Well done for nipping it in the bud!! I'm afraid to say that most of us will always have to 'watch' our weight. I guess the trick is to not relax about it for too long and keep an eye on the scales.

Good luck with your new goals :flowerforyou:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. That's not good for everyone but it works for me. If I watch it, I know when it's going the wrong way and can do something about it. When I gained this weight to begin with, it was because I didn't step on the scale for 3 months. When I maintained my post pregnancy weight loss for 10 plus years, it was because I weighed daily and adjusted my eating accordingly.

Since h2o weigh is a problem and you are used to weighing yourself daily, try weighing yourself 2x's a day. In the morning before eating or drinking and at night when you are done eating and drinking. You should weigh no more than 2 pounds heavier at night, when watching you calorie intake. If you weigh more than two pounds you will know that you are retaining h2o and need to drink more water to push this weight gain out of your body. Another indication of holding on to to much h2o is , if you look like your bed sheet in the morning you are retaining water, LOL.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I can feel it when I retain water. My calves feel so darn tight they're almost painful. This happens from too much sodium as well as strength training. When I have "bed face" I also know I have extra water LOL. I usually drink water or tea with lemon in it to combat this. :)