Hot Yoga

NurseNatalie2011
NurseNatalie2011 Posts: 281
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all! I started doing hot yoga back in May and lost a lot of weight. I have slowed down d/t classes being expensive and my work/school schedule. I have started back up again but I have been having a problem finishing class. About 20-25 min into a class (some are 60 min and others 90min) I get very dizzy and nauseated. I wind up lying down for a few minutes but then I just need to leave because I really am uncomfortable. It wasn't like that in the begining and I am so disapointed it is like that now.

I am going to class in about 45 min. I am going to eat now (greek yogert, banana, granola bar, light cranberry juice) and I am hoping that having some extra food in my tummy with help.

Any one else have problems like this? Any solutions or suggestions? Thanks so much!!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I just started this a couple weeks back. All I can say is make sure you are really hydrated too.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    I just started this a couple weeks back. All I can say is make sure you are really hydrated too.

That was what I was thinking too - sounds like you aren't hydrated enough.
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    This happens to me also almost every class. Like the above poster mentioned...make sure you are really hydrated. I find I get dizzy if I haven't eaten enough to keep me powered through the class...or if I haven't drank enough water. All of the instructors I've had said that if you are dizzy...just lay down or sit down until you are feeling better and that even if you can't make it through the rest of the class...you're better off just laying there until the class is over. They say to never leave the class. There have been numerous classes where I just sit there for 3/4 of the class because I can't take the dizzyness. Just keep at it and it will gradually get easier. I was doing it religiously a couple of years ago...doing it 3 times a week and I got so used to the class that I stopped getting dizzy. Just give it time...it will pass.
  • jacinta93
    jacinta93 Posts: 3 Member
    Yes the same thing happened to me.

I recently started back with hot yoga and I felt dizzy in the third class but it only happened that day. Drink lots of water!!! and eat something light!!!

Hope this helps
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Are you eating/drinking the same you were back then?
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Definitely what the others are saying is true, make sure you are hydrated. Also, I've noticed when I'm away from yoga for a bit and then pick up again, the excessive toxin leaving the body can make me nauseaus.
  • Coconut Water!! Super hydrating, and full of electrolytes. Drink a (12 oz) bottle (Zico makes a berry flavored one, I don't like the taste of it plain) at least 20 minutes before class in order for your body to get fully hydrated. I did this for the first time last night and felt great!
  • Thanks everyone! I was thinking the same thing too...about not being hydrated enough. I will make sure to drink enough before, during and after class.

I am trying to think back to my diet when I was doing this 4-5 times a week...I think I was much more hydrated then. I drank more because I was in school full time and I always have my water bottle in class because it keeps me occupied! I am not part time because I have run out of classes to take before I graduate in June....So I for sure drink a lot less now that I think about it. Thanks for asking that!

Coconut water...I tried the plain flavor and did not like it. I will look for the Zico brand. Do you know where I can find the brand? Maybe Whole Foods?

Thanks all! I just joined the group yesterday and this has been so great already!!
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    You have to make sure you are hydrated. It happened to me a couple of times when I looked at what I had to eat and drink that day I knew I wasn't hydrated enough. Stick with it. It's so great for the mind and body.

BTW, it can be expensive, I wish they had classes that were reasonable. But I loved it.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    I used to do Hot Yoga when I was in San Francisco, then got bored by the same 23 poses over and over again in each class. Have you tried Power yoga or a rigorous Vinyasa flow class? They won't burn as many calories since you aren't pouring sweat like you do in Bikram, but it is still around 400 cals an hours, a decent sweat and all body toning. Possibly healthier alternative if you are having issues with Bikram.
  • I had a great workout! Not really dizzy at all. I made sure to drink throughout the workout and I had a protien drink after.

I am going to look into another yoga center by my house. I have heard about power yoga and it sounded interesting. Sometimes it is just too damn hott for me! Another type of yoga might be better. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.