Gaining weight but losing inches!

Options
Hi Everyone!

So I stepped on the scale today, which I haven't done in a while, and I've gained 9 pounds! My body is looking much better than it did 5 months ago, and I've toned up, and lost some inches around my bust/waist/hips. (My measurements have gone from 37-27-38 to 36-26-36.5) I'm not sure why I've gained this weight even though I look slimmer? Is this muscle that I have gained?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You haven't given any detail about what your routines have been over the past 5 months. Regular strength training? Part of the weight could be standard fluctuation. Chances are your current weigh in was not the exact same circumstances as you last. Different clothing, more or less fluid/food in you, different time of day, different scale, scale in a different place: all could lead to different readings. Though I imagine if your weight is higher and your measurements smaller: its not unreasonable to gain muscle over the course of 5 months depending on what you've been doing.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Muscle for sure. Muscle weighs more than fat. And since you have been going to the gym quite a bit, it's no surprise! Don't be afraid of the weight, if you're losing inches. It's the definition coming out from the muscles getting bigger!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing something that could build muscle, like strength training, then yeah, it could definitely be muscle. If you are looking and feeling healthier, and you've been taking care of yourself, I wouldn't be too concerned with the scale.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    You haven't given any detail about what your routines have been over the past 5 months. Regular strength training? Part of the weight could be standard fluctuation. Chances are your current weigh in was not the exact same circumstances as you last. Different clothing, more or less fluid/food in you, different time of day, different scale, scale in a different place: all could lead to different readings. Though I imagine if your weight is higher and your measurements smaller: its not unreasonable to gain muscle over the course of 5 months depending on what you've been doing.

Over the past 5 months I've been working out 4 times a week for an hour each time, boxing and doing circuit training. People have been telling me I look like I've lost weight, but it's odd as to how I've actually gained weight! Thank you for your advice. :)
  • SwedishSarah
    Options
    Muscle for sure. Muscle weighs more than fat. And since you have been going to the gym quite a bit, it's no surprise! Don't be afraid of the weight, if you're losing inches. It's the definition coming out from the muscles getting bigger!

haha Thank you buddy!
  • SwedishSarah
    Options
    If you've been doing something that could build muscle, like strength training, then yeah, it could definitely be muscle. If you are looking and feeling healthier, and you've been taking care of yourself, I wouldn't be too concerned with the scale.

I've been boxing and doing circuit training for 4 times a week, an hour each time.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Well, in my mind, here is what you are saying: I look smaller, I measure smaller, but weigh more. Since you do not carry a scale around with you to show your weight - take what you are getting and run with it. As Meatloaf sang so eloquently, two out of three ain't bad. :flowerforyou:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but it is highly unlikely that you gained 9 pounds of muscle in 5 months. Unless you hit the genetic lottery. It is extremely difficult for women to gain muscle mass, even when eating above maintenance.

If you're losing inches, that's great though and keep up with what you're doing.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

No.
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but it is highly unlikely that you gained 9 pounds of muscle in 5 months. Unless you hit the genetic lottery. It is extremely difficult for women to gain muscle mass, even when eating above maintenance.

If you're losing inches, that's great though and keep up with what you're doing.

Yes.
  • SwedishSarah
    Options
    Well, in my mind, here is what you are saying: I look smaller, I measure smaller, but weigh more. Since you do not carry a scale around with you to show your weight - take what you are getting and run with it. As Meatloaf sang so eloquently, two out of three ain't bad. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for the advice! It's just confusing to me, because I don't know where the weight could be, as I look like I've lost weight! So I'll be happy with what I've got. :)
  • SwedishSarah
    Options

Don't worry, you're not raining on my parade, but I thought the exact thing as well. I just don't understand how I could have gained weight, but look like I've lost weight. I'll stick to what I'm doing, and thank you for the advice! :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    As a pp stated, unlikely muscle as that's quite a bit of muscle in that period of time. Muscle building is difficult. I spent 9 months heavy lifting, only to get down to a BF% to bulk. I've gained 6 lbs total from my lowest point over 6 months but I know not all of that is muscle. I'd be lucky if half of that was muscle (and that'd be a stretch, more like 25% out of my 6 lb gain). My measurements have only gone up maybe 2 inches total BUT there's room for error in measurements. Am I 100% sure I measured the exact same place? I...think? All my clothes fit the same, etc.

Muscle building ideally happens with a hypertrophy lifting routine, proper protein, around 1g per pound of lean body mass. It happens in other instances too but that is the ideal circumstance. Giving your body a reason to build. I dunno now I'm rambling lol
  • Aikigoth
    Aikigoth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of negativity going on here.

Yes, it is unlikely that the OP just gain muscle mass. But clearly she swapped out fat for something else if her measurements when down while weight went up. I get that clothes might be a part of it, maybe a pound or two.

But really OP you did something right. My guess would be a combination of you body adding on muscle mass, bone density and your body carrying a little more glycogen around since you upped your activity. Despite all the cranky people here claiming it is impossible for woman to add muscle mass, your genes might be geared towards it.

Keep going! :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Yes, it is unlikely that the OP just gain muscle mass. But clearly she swapped out fat for something else if her measurements when down while weight went up. I get that clothes might be a part of it, maybe a pound or two.

But really OP you did something right. My guess would be a combination of you body adding on muscle mass, bone density and your body carrying a little more glycogen around since you upped your activity. Despite all the cranky people here claiming it is impossible for woman to add muscle mass, your genes might be geared towards it.

Right, I'm not going to discredit OP may have built something? Maybe? But the science doesn't support 9 lbs of muscle gain in a woman over a 5 month period even with optimal conditions more like...

10-12 lbs of muscle over a year with heavy lifting and proper protein. It's not being negative, it's science!

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/10/13/how-fast-can-you-build-muscle-5-factors-that-affect-muscle-growth/
  • SwedishSarah
    Options
    As a pp stated, unlikely muscle as that's quite a bit of muscle in that period of time. Muscle building is difficult. I spent 9 months heavy lifting, only to get down to a BF% to bulk. I've gained 6 lbs total from my lowest point over 6 months but I know not all of that is muscle. I'd be lucky if half of that was muscle (and that'd be a stretch, more like 25% out of my 6 lb gain). My measurements have only gone up maybe 2 inches total BUT there's room for error in measurements. Am I 100% sure I measured the exact same place? I...think? All my clothes fit the same, etc.

Muscle building ideally happens with a hypertrophy lifting routine, proper protein, around 1g per pound of lean body mass. It happens in other instances too but that is the ideal circumstance. Giving your body a reason to build. I dunno now I'm rambling lol

I can understand how it is unlikely, and that's why I put this question out there. I am baffled as to how I look like I've lost weight (random people have commented to me about it), but instead I've gained weight. My measurements have gone down, and on my short frame, the change is noticeable. I also do not wear clothes when I step on the scale, so there isn't a chance that my clothes have played a part in my weight. My clothes also fit differently as well.
    I appreciate your advice! :)
  • SwedishSarah
    Options

I don't wear clothes when I step on the scale, so I know my clothes couldn't be part of the issue, possibly TOM, but other than that I weigh myself in the morning before any food or drink. I asked this question to get responses, because I was confused as to how I could gain weight yet look smaller/smaller measurements! Thank you for advice, I might have gotten some lucky genes!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Have you had that same weight for many days?
  • SwedishSarah
    Options
    Have you had that same weight for many days?

Today was the first day I've weighed myself in a while. Because I've been looking trimmer, and my measurements have gone down, I didn't think much about my weight, until I stepped on the scale today and was shocked. I'll go on the scale again in a few days to see if anything has changed.