how much water is tooooooooo much

not sure which topic this should go under. anyway, i've read about water intoxication before and all that. and i actually used to be worried about not getting ENOUGH water daily and being dehydrated. but in the past couple of months ive slowly increased my intake. i drink like 3-4 16 or 18 oz bottles a day (it varies) but usually i have anywhere from 1-3 cups of tea as well.

is this way too much liquid to be a frequent thing? it's not like i don't pee a lot (i do, lol) but i'm just a paranoid person!

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Too much water is when the water comes up to your nose and you can no longer breathe. :drinker:

In all seriousness, it doesn't sounds like you are drinking too much water to me. Sounds about what I drink in a day, though I don't keep track.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    There is no exact answer. If your pee is clear all day you are hydrated enough.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    That's definitely not too much. I heard somewhere that you should drink "your weight" (ounces instead of pounds, i.e. 130 lbs = 130 oz) in water every day if you're working out. We have wellness challenges at work in which we have to drink 72 ounces of water or more per day (9 cups the recommended amount for women, men should drink 13 cups).

Just always listen to your body if you have to go to the bathroom. Holding it for an extended time can be very dangerous, and that's what leads to intoxication.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Do you have any of the symptoms listed here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/symptoms/con-20031445

If so, start worrying.

The problem is that too much water can effect your electrolyte balance, particularly sodium.

There is absolutely no need to drink that much water (unless you want to that is...) but to put your mind at rest you could pop in an electrolyte tablet now and again.

(ETA: although I should add I don't believe that is strictly necessary as you are not drinking excessively.)
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    I drank 15 bottles of water the other day. It happens.

I aim for a minimum of 4 bottles a day but normally it's 5 or 6.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Go by pee color - if it's light yellow or clear, you can back off the water a bit. :smile: (sorry the pic is big and doesn't fit, but you can open it in a new browser/tab if you want to see the whole thing.)

hydration-color.png