At the gym and I got the look.....really??

2»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    You're 34, not in high school anymore. Even if by some rare chance she was actually making a face at you, why do you care? What would you tell your kid if they came to you with the same story?
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    I am a perpetually friendly-looking person (the kind that is asked for directions everywhere in the world I go). I have to admit, though, that I likely have given people in the steam room the look you received and it had nothing to do with the people in the room.

Since I started going to a gym almost twenty years ago, I have repeatedly tried to sit in a steam room based on people's glowing endorsement of the benefits of a good steaming. I have always, without fail, reacted in the same way: (1) Walk in, stop dead in my tracks; (2) become absolutely disgusted at the heat and smell of the place; (3) looked around to see if others feel the same way--typically they look blissful; (4) felt a combination of petty (how dare they enjoy this hell) and wimpy (what's wrong with me); (5) huffily sat down and tried to figure out what the draw of this is; (6) given up, stalked away, taken a cold shower; and (7) pretty much remained grumpy until I cool down.

I stay away from the steamer for a year or two and then I venture in again, assuming that this time I suddenly become one of those steam-happy people.

I can only imagine what my face looks like when I enter a steam room.

Please give the woman who walked in some leeway. As others have stated, she could have RBF, she could be reacting to the settings of the steam shower, she could be in a bad mood, she could be a prude, or she could be like me.