Switching up days Run&WT

Hi,

I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. Someone told me if I weight train I will see more results, but shouldn't do both in the same day. How should I alternate days with running and weight training? Run MWFSun? And weight train other days? I only run 2-4 miles a day, not a ton, but have been consistently now for the last three months, 5-7 out of the week. Starting to get my definition in my abs and tighter feeling in legs. Also glutes are getting firmer! :)

Replies

• Sthere
    Sthere Posts: 59 Member
    Can anyone help me?
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    There is no reason why you can't run and lift in the same day. I would spread it out though and lift in the mornings and run in the afternoons (if it's possible).
  • Sthere
    Shouldn't there be rest days with the weights? Like every other day? I added weights on Monday was very sore... Anyone have any good ab exercises with weights?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    It really depends on your priorities, inasmuch as the resistance training is complementary to your running and it helps in retention of lean mass. There is no real reason not to do both on the same day, other than eating enough, but rest days help both.

Personally I do bodyweight training alongside runs, but my focus is on running performance rather than aesthetics.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    My point was that there is no reason why if you were running every day and decided to lift M-W-F that you can't do both on those days as well.
  • Sthere
    I want to tone up. I lost 15 lbs. down to 126 and 5'4.5" (yes the half is important! Lol) I also want to maintain my weight, maybe lose 5 lbs. more. Running is something I took up to keep me and my dogs in shape. I have crazy siberians, so 5k is nothing for them. I wanted to get their endurance up so I could possibly train them for carting and sledding. Running is something now that I realised I like the way it makes me feel, and gives my dogs an outlet for their energy. Another benefit is now I have no nerve pain in my legs anymore, must be related?
  • Sthere
    My point was that there is no reason why if you were running every day and decided to lift M-W-F that you can't do both on those days as well.

Thanks for clarification Sue!
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 130 Member
    I do Body for Life.. 6 30 minute workouts a week. 3 cardio(running, eliptical etc. I rotate every 30 days), 3 weight trainings 1 upper 2 lower body then switch the next week.

I do 3-4 60-90 minute workouts a week as 30 minute workouts everyday just isnt practical. Body for Life book and webpage are my guides.

Its very simple, very straightforward. If you would like additional help or have questions let me know.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Yes, you can do both on the same day. You can even do one right after the other. I do. It's usually recommended to lift first, simply because your form tends to break down some if you tire yourself before lifting - could be dangerous.

You can also do alternate days if you prefer.

For the ab exercises, you shouldn't need separate weighted ab exercises if you're doing compound lifts - things like squats, OHP, etc, will hit your core as well as the other muscle groups. If you want additional work, plank variations, hanging leg raises, ab wheel roll outs seem to be very productive.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    I run and lift. I generally run Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and do weights M, W, F or Saturday (depends). I have done both weights and running on the same day and found it works best for me if I spread the workouts out significantly, run in the morning, lift in the evening. On many of my lifting days I will run a mile or two afterward as well. Find what works for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I want to tone up. I lost 15 lbs. down to 126 and 5'4.5" (yes the half is important! Lol) I also want to maintain my weight, maybe lose 5 lbs. more. Running is something I took up to keep me and my dogs in shape. I have crazy siberians, so 5k is nothing for them. I wanted to get their endurance up so I could possibly train them for carting and sledding. Running is something now that I realised I like the way it makes me feel, and gives my dogs an outlet for their energy.

OK, with that in mind it's a question of identifying a resistance programme that supports your running, rather than picking a resistance plan and fitting running around it.

Rest days are important, so it's more effective to run and do resistance training on alternate days, with one day of rest per week. That probably means reducing the frequency of runs, but increasing the quality; distance, tempo or intervals. Most resistance plans will say three days per week but with a running priority you can afford to drop that to two days per week.

If you are going to do both on the same day, then again which to do first depends on your priority. Personally I run before resistance training, because poor form in running is more likely to cause an injury. What I most regularly do is 5km out to the park, do my circuit then 5km home. It's a reasonable compromise, but I do find resistance training incredibly dull.
    Another benefit is now I have no nerve pain in my legs anymore, must be related?

Wuite possibly. What I've found is that as I run, particularly trail running, my knees and ankles are much more stable than they used to be. much less cracking and general instability as the connective tissues and smaller muscles are developing.
  • Sthere
    I want to tone up. I lost 15 lbs. down to 126 and 5'4.5" (yes the half is important! Lol) I also want to maintain my weight, maybe lose 5 lbs. more. Running is something I took up to keep me and my dogs in shape. I have crazy siberians, so 5k is nothing for them. I wanted to get their endurance up so I could possibly train them for carting and sledding. Running is something now that I realised I like the way it makes me feel, and gives my dogs an outlet for their energy.

OK, with that in mind it's a question of identifying a resistance programme that supports your running, rather than picking a resistance plan and fitting running around it.

Rest days are important, so it's more effective to run and do resistance training on alternate days, with one day of rest per week. That probably means reducing the frequency of runs, but increasing the quality; distance, tempo or intervals. Most resistance plans will say three days per week but with a running priority you can afford to drop that to two days per week.

If you are going to do both on the same day, then again which to do first depends on your priority. Personally I run before resistance training, because poor form in running is more likely to cause an injury. What I most regularly do is 5km out to the park, do my circuit then 5km home. It's a reasonable compromise, but I do find resistance training incredibly dull.

[/quote]

Thanks what your saying makes a lot of sense. My one dog gets pissed at me if we don't run everyday, so maybe I'll walk the. On off days instead with the lifting. He is so smart he knows when I put on certain clothes we are going. They are literally my motivation to do this. My one dog was on her death bed 4 months ago and into 2 months she completes 5k no problem. She had cancer removed from her liver and now considered cured. No chemo, just cook for them human quality food Chinese herbs and tons of exercise.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    You are correct, alternate days......your muscles need the rest.......
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    I've been trying alternating days. I love running. (50+ miles/week) I'm trying to love lifting, but find it affects my running performance. Is this common? Is it a matter of lifting more so the body gets used to it, or must I just run less?