Anyone mix their protien shake with coffee?

Options
Thinking of mxing a black cup of coffee with my pre-workout shake.

i usually have coffee before i work out because without it, im sluggish. but if i mix the coffee with my shake, i can eliminate the need toadd cream and sugar with my coffee...

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I use my protein powder as a substitute "creamer". I have no idea if it is healthy, or recommended, or a good idea, however. I'll be interested to see what others say...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Well, kinda - I have vanilla flavored protein (I think all of the flavored protein powders are way too sweet), and add instant espresso powder and sometimes cocoa powder. Then water and ice. Makes a decent cappucino-type (or mochacino-type) shake.

Don't try adding the protein powder to a hot liquid. You'll end up with a disgusting clumpy mess.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I tried to mix vanilla whey protein powder with hot coffee, and it coagulated the proteins and was disgusting. Think of curdled clumps of flavored non dairy creamer in your coffee. Eugh. So maybe don't try that. It was a waste of perfectly good protein powder and perfectly good coffee. High heat can be really bad for protein powder. I'm not sure if that is true for all brands, but I would think so.

Now, frozen iced coffee cubes blended with protein powder and skim milk. Oh yeah. I've done that. Its good
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use unjury protein powder and it suggests mixing either vanilla or chocolate with coffee. I does say that the coffee needs to be under 130 degrees. Otherwise bad things will happen...
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    Cold coffee, yes. Hot coffee, no. Good stuff.
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This morning I mixed chocolate whey, chocolate almond breeze (unsweetened), Trader Joe's cold brew coffee, a tablespoon of Nutella, and a tiny bit of stevia (4 drops liquid). it was delicious!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The comedian Steven Wright said that he put instant coffee in his microwave and almost went back in time. I can only assume similar results.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the ice cube coffee. that sounds awesome!

okay, i will be sure not to mix a hot coffee with the protein mix. maybe i could just toss a tbsp of instant coffee in the shake.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yep.. it's make latte with it :)
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yea wait for it to cool a bit and mix with just a tiny bit of water first, then stir it in slowly.

My worst experience was adding protein powder to oatmeal while cooking it in the microwave... worst decision in my life, been scared to add it ever again but, I think I might try adding it after its cooked and let it cool a bit (like with the coffee). Just don't like wasting protein... or eating something disgusting.
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    YES! In the winter I did this and had a nice chocolate mocha or vanilla coffee... it was a little foamy on the top, but I can get through that. I pretended I get protein packed starbucks every morning :)

I loved it. I also make iced coffees with the protein shake.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I tried to mix vanilla whey protein powder with hot coffee, and it coagulated the proteins and was disgusting. Think of curdled clumps of flavored non dairy creamer in your coffee. Eugh. So maybe don't try that. It was a waste of perfectly good protein powder and perfectly good coffee. High heat can be really bad for protein powder. I'm not sure if that is true for all brands, but I would think so.

Now, frozen iced coffee cubes blended with protein powder and skim milk. Oh yeah. I've done that. Its good

Works if you mix the protein with cold milk (or water I suppose) first then add to the coffee :)
  • bctr2013
    bctr2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do this with Toddy cold brewed coffee and Syntha-6 chocolate, it tastes and mixes great.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every day. But I chill the coffee first, and add ice and blend so it's like a chocolate coffee milkshake.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Well, kinda - I have vanilla flavored protein (I think all of the flavored protein powders are way too sweet), and add instant espresso powder and sometimes cocoa powder. Then water and ice. Makes a decent cappucino-type (or mochacino-type) shake.

Don't try adding the protein powder to a hot liquid. You'll end up with a disgusting clumpy mess.

Yep. That right there. I've tried it in hot coffee. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Cold coffee? Marvelous.
  • buxfan
    buxfan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I add the ready-made protein drinks to my coffee for the very reason you mention. It works great - good protein/calorie ratio, and the coffee tastes pretty good. I sometimes also add a splash of a sugar-free syrup to give it more of a coffee house drink.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Mocca Cappuccino flavor has caffeine in it..... Add soy and almond milk....
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I do it, and love it!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I also mix vanilla with oj. Kinda like an Orange Julius.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thinking of mxing a black cup of coffee with my pre-workout shake.

i usually have coffee before i work out because without it, im sluggish. but if i mix the coffee with my shake, i can eliminate the need toadd cream and sugar with my coffee...

Some protein powders will "cook" if you mix with hot coffee, leaving you with a lumpy mess. Personally, I cold brew coffee overnight, which also removes a lot of the bitterness that comes with coffee. The cold coffee mixes perfectly with protein powder, usually chocolate or vanilla.