What BMI are you heading for?

Options

Replies

• laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I decided to put in my target weight and tell you what my BMI would be. Based on my body mass analysis two weeks ago, I decided that I need to lose about 75 pounds to be at a good place, assuming that I stay on track with my muscle mass. The BMI number that I got based on that was still considered highly obese.

BMI can suck it. I'll know when I get there.
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle at my BMI. "Slightly obese." The BMI is not a very accurate metric.

Got me chuckling too
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Fat2Fit_imready Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    im currently: 33.1
    THEY want be to be: around 23.0
    I WANT TO BE: 27.5

which is "overweight" BUT not for my my body type!! :bigsmile:
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    According to my cardiologist, I should have a BMI of 25. Right now I'm at 31.

I don't know if I will reach that number, because while I'm losing fat, building muscle will also add weight to my body. So, BMI is not an "integral" health indicator.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Or don't you care? I know some people discount BMI as a measure

I was happy with how I looked with a BMI of 26.2 (my weight used to be stuck there before children). Now I am aiming to get there and then reassess how I look

Now, we should totally have a discussion about why you're looking at such a terrible metric such as bmi.

LOL...I got an invitation for a "health check", it's a programme that is offered to all over 40s here.

However I have a fear of health checks when I'm feeling healthy (I do have a reason for this based on anomalies that show in people but that's too much to go into right now) ...I have told myself when my BMI is closer to normal range I might just go

But the other part of me discounts it as a stupid measure

So I was just mulling it over really
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BMI is such a poor indicator for anything other than your height to weight ratio. It has nothing to do with health or physical fitness. According to my BMI (30.1) I am Obese (Height: 6'2" Weight: 235#) I have the same BMI as a person that is 5' 5" and 180# or person at 7' 5" and 340#. See how ridiculous that is? I would have to weigh 180# to have a "normal" BMI of 24. I wrestled at 180 my freshman year of High School.

Athlete's have high BMI's but are in excellent physical shape because (surprise, surprise) muscles weigh more than fat. No one would consider them Overweight or Obese. They really need to STOP using BMI as an indicator for Health. The BMI does not take into account factors such as: muscle mass, body fat %, activity level etc.

The ratio was designed by a mathemetician 200 years ago. Not a Doctor or Nutritionist or anyone that knew what the hell they were doing. I'm pretty sure Doctors could up with a stat more indicative of physical health these days.
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BMI was never intended to be a measure of an individual's health or fitness. It is a figure that was created to measure the health of a population of people. So IMO I think it is worthless measure of individual health or fitness and is grossly misused.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My doctor was happy when I hit the normal BMI range. I wasn't. I couldn't care less about BMI, I care about how I look.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    69 srs
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get to 21.5, which is only in the middle of the healthy range for me, but asking to go lower feels completely impossible. Just wanna get out of the overweight zone.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Always funny to see the BMI debate. For women, you're more at risk of being a false negative (showing "normal" BMI but with unhealthy levels of body fat) than a false positive. But the complaints are always about the false positive.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm almost in the "healthy" range so that's my immediate goal. Eventually I want to be at 21.

As far as using BMI as a measuring tool. For me it works. I'm not exceptionally athletic or muscular.
    The only people it doesn't work for are people with a lot of muscle. If you are convinced you fall into this category, measure your waist. For women it's anything below 35",.. for men I'm not sure, you can look it up.
    That should give you a more accurate measure of healthy.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BMI is a decent indicator for most people especially those who haven't done a lot of muscle building. It's worthless for me personally though. I am overweight according to BMI. Pisses me off every year when I go to my employee health screening and I lose a point due to being "overweight". Last year I went so far as to lift my shirt up and politely ask where they thought I should lose the extra weight from. You can put some stock in to BMI but it's not the end all be all indicator of heath.

Ha! I wish I could lift up my shirt and show off my toned abs and say that to my doctor! lol But my first goal would be to have my BMI at 29 so I can get out of the obese category. Once I'm in the overweight BMI range, then I guess I will have a better idea of where I need to be.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to BMI any more.... I don't feel it is a true indicator of my overall health and well being... Best of Luck
  • Chanchka
    Chanchka Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is a BMI of 20.8 (based on my goal weight). But honestly, right now, I'm just deperate to get out of the "obese" category and into the "overweight"!
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BMI is wonderful for people in denial. If someone doesn't realize how fat or skinny they are, the BMI is there to tell them.

I don't really care about the BMI when I'm done. I loved moving out of OBESE and into OVERWEIGHT. Nobody was ever so happy to become overweight, let me tell you! Did a dance of joy.

Looking forward to entering Normal. It's not far off.

But the actual number, when I'm done? I don't care.

I can't wait to get out of the obese and into overweight! I have 47 lbs to go until I get there. But I will do a dance a joy too! Congratulations on hitting that milestone and that is great you are almost in the normal range!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense on stilts, and it's not scientific in any way, shape or form. It's like trying to determine IQ by measuring skull circumference.

@jim_B

You sir are the Metaphor King LOL!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You'll get quite a few people here taking issue with BMI - they'll be very muscular, or point out it's only good measure for populations rather than individuals. But a sample of people here maybe aren't the same the general population. Relying on one thing to measure health alone isn't good. But let's face it, a great deal of people in the general population (not drawn from a health and fitness website) with a high BMI are fat, not built like the Rock. I am retaining pies and gin, not glistening guns.

I will be happy when it's around 20 I think. It's a bit arbitatry really, it is general and but something to head towards. I'm smack bang between healthy and overweight at the moment.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I can't wait to get out of the obese and into overweight! I have 47 lbs to go until I get there. But I will do a dance a joy too! Congratulations on hitting that milestone and that is great you are almost in the normal range!
    It's so weird to think of myself as overweight instead of obese because one look at my thighs and it's still FAT. Sometimes I think it: I am not obese. I just can't believe it.

Buying XLs in the regular (not Fat Lady) section of the store was a HUGE day for me. The biggest. I am not sure anything will ever top that day.

I cannot wait to buy and wear my first clothes without an X in the size. I may walk around and tell strangers, "Hey! This shirt is a large!" It's coming very soon.

But THIN is the end game.

I'll get there. So will you. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly care--I'm going for body fat percentage and overall look/size. My goal weight is based on a weight I looked good at recently enough to still be applicable, and it would be a BMI of 21.3. I know I look better below 25, but I also know I could have had a better body fat percentage and more lean mass last time I was at my goal weight (I did lots of cardio, especially running, but not enough strength training), so that could mean that my goal ends up a bit higher, although it also may mean that I work harder to get the body fat down and end up at the same weight, who knows. For me there's no way it means I'll be outside the normal BMI range, though, so I guess BMI works fine for me.