Deadlift question

Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you have 10lb bumpers at the gym, then that's perfect. Otherwise, find some step aerobic steps, inevitably those are everywhere in a public gym, or a stack of 25lb plates and get enough to where the bar rests below mid-shin. OR, if the gym has a mini Oly bar which is ~25lbs, then use that with some 35lb (some gyms still carry these) or 45lbs.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't use bumper plates because they are not needed. you should not be dropping weight on a deadlift. There are 2 movements, the move up, and the move down. Both are important. Unless you are an Olympic lifter, you don't need to throw plates to the ground.

People that drop the weight on a deadlift are pus*y show-offs, trying to lift more weight than they are capable. This has been true 100% of the time, in my lifetime of witnessing people in my gym. Don't drop the weight. Set it down nicely, with both strength and grace.

Depends on what you're calling a drop. Obviously, if someone just lets go at the height of the movement, that's uncalled for and arguably a bit dangerous.

But on the other hand, if you're lowering the weight as slowly as it's coming up, you're probably wasting more energy than you should just trying to set the weight down quietly - and trying to gracefully/slowly control it once it gets below your knee is arguably risky. Put simply, not everyone is as interested in the eccentric portion of the movement. A controlled drop is what's generally recommended, and some people descend faster than others. Just because some people descend faster though doesn't make them "***** showoffs." It may well just mean that they feel they can get an additional rep if they descend more quickly, rather than spending all their energy trying to "gracefully" lower the weight and set it down "nicely." If you look at powerlifting rules, the gist is you need some semblance of control and both hands need to remain on the bar. I have yet to see a rule that says you have to set it down nice and quiet and that you must do so with strength and grace.

Could be we agree on this and it's just semantics, but words like "grace" and setting it down "nicely" are on the other end of the spectrum from "don't drop it."
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    People that drop the weight on a deadlift are pus*y show-offs, trying to lift more weight than they are capable. This has been true 100% of the time, in my lifetime of witnessing people in my gym. Don't drop the weight. Set it down nicely, with both strength and grace.

Yyyyyeah, you are clueless my friend. Come pull 415 with me and let me see you set it down "nicely". The eccentric portion has nothing to do with the deadlift. Granted, I don't know that you should just flat-out drop it in a commercial gym because it's a bit obnoxious. But trying to set it down nicely so it doesn't make noise is ridiculous. It is not a show of strength. If somebody is not capable of lifting the weight, trust me; that weight ain't coming off the ground in the first place. If they can pull it up to their waste and lock it out, they're strong enough to pull the weight.