Summertime Diet Blues

Options
So I gained 3 lbs...and I have no excuse, its all on me. Summer just gets in the way. The past couple of weeks have been go go go, I feel like I don't have time to breathe. Living in the northeast I try to absorb as much summer as I can. But then that includes barbecues, going out to eat, beers around the fire and the list goes on and on. I feel myself slipping, not going to the gym as much, counting calories Monday through Thursday and being generally "off track". I have felt pretty good this summer losing 14 lbs and then I get into the "complacent" zone, oh I can eat that, drink a couple beers, have a cheeseburger - next thing you know its creeping back on. I am NOT gonna let this get out of control...I don't want my clothes to feel tight again whether its summer or winter! I don't know where my willpower went but I am on a mission to find it. It doesn't help either that we haven't gone food shopping in a month due to this damn Market Basket debacle, but no excuses. Anyone else running into this struggle?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Summer is just too hot. I can't go for long walks because I can't carry that much water. It's just too hot for everything but swimming.

Sometimes a friend and I will go walk around in an amusement park, where we can get water as we go, but if I'm not swimming, I mostly just hibernate until October.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say they have a hard time in the winter, over Christmas holidays, for example. Not me. I usually lose weight/maintain through the winter holidays

Summer time comes and I just want to relax, drink and eat BBQ burgers & ice cream. I've probably gained 3 or 4 pounds as well.

I tend to get re-motivated come September, so I don't know if this is some left over habit from being in school as a kid? Where summers were for fun and laziness, and fall/winter is when you buckle down. Although winter here is not exactly patio weather, so it's easier to go to the gym instead of wanting to hang out outside.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I made an excuse for one thing, I'd make excuses for everything.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Nope, more sunshine = more time outside moving!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    In my earlier less educated years at trying to lose weight, I use the same excuses. At this point in my life, the time of the year or date on the calendar is of no consequence to me. I made a commitment to lose weight and refuse to allow life to sabotage it. This isn't to state you can't enjoy summer time and time out with friends. However, you should always be mindful of the calories you consume. Either earn or save calories for special occasions. Another option is to plan a day to eat at your calories maintenance level from time to time. This way you are still in control and can have fun with more food and booze without gaining weight.
  • litaf201
    litaf201 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, food for thought...commitment is a commitment!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I used to use the same type of excuses for stuffing my face over winter. Unfortunately, winter happens every year, so I'm just going to have to deal with it.
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I find it hard in the summers as well. While I am still active, run and workout, the events and parties makes it hard. I eat good Monday - Friday and weekends I can really mess it up bad. I own it, I know it. I need to run more, workout more to balance out the fun!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. But since during the year there are many occasions to overindulge, I try to go lower as much as I can.

Thankfully, there are many holidays, weddings, birthday parties, family visiting & big dinners, etc. That's part of life!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Summer is my worst time of year. I try to be good during the week so when it comes time for fun times on the weekends I can indulge. Then back at it on Monday. I have maintained my current loss and plan to get back to more intensive training to lose another 5-10 pounds in the fall. Enjoy summer while it is here!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You have to do it day by day, and remember some days are harder than others. Now its summer but soon winter comes and you have all the parties and food for the holidays. I can't afford excuses as I want this transformation to continue.
    Best of luck!