Counting Sugars

Options
Hello All-

Just wanted to share this tidbit of info that my Dr (who specializes in weight loss) shared with me. When reading labels and looking at sugar content, don't just assume the amount listed is all inclusive. Processed foods have a lot of "hidden" sugars. To determine the more accurate amount of sugar in something, do the following:

Total Carbs
Minus Fiber
Divided by 5
=tsps sugar

She also recommends no more than 10-15 tsps sugar a day.

I wish you a great day and continued success in your journey :-)

J

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that turns all carbs into sugars, which is a point of view. Starches get included.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    <.< Hidden sugars? And that amount of sugar is rather low, 10-15 grams, even the nutrition council says you should have 25 grams minus the natural sugars in say like fruit.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello All-

Just wanted to share this tidbit of info that my Dr (who specializes in weight loss) shared with me. When reading labels and looking at sugar content, don't just assume the amount listed is all inclusive. Processed foods have a lot of "hidden" sugars. To determine the more accurate amount of sugar in something, do the following:

Total Carbs
    Minus Fiber
    Divided by 5
    =tsps sugar

J
    I think what your doctor forgot to tell you that the 15 tsp is discretionary calories so above your normal daily needs. In reality though unless you have a medical condition sugar is not an issue. That's part of the issue even the so called 'experts' don't really explain the issue properly they just chuck these numbers around with no rhyme nor reason or explanation
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello All-

Total Carbs
    Minus Fiber
    Divided by 5
    =tsps sugar

J
    Thank you!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar. Carbs and fiber I do.

*eats Purity mint chocolate chip ice cream*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hello All-

Total Carbs
    Minus Fiber
    Divided by 5
    =tsps sugar

J

Under this measure a potato is mostly sugar--14 g in 100 g red potato with skin. That is a POV about carbs, sure, but not what is normally meant with the recs on sugar (which are really more about avoiding excess calories/inadequate nutrition for those who don't count), and I fail to see how processing or hidden anything can be blamed.

MFP's sugar tracker is actually good if you think you might be eating sugars that are non obvious. Contrary to the dire warnings that assume people don't know what they are eating, my sugars were all from extremely obvious sources I was okay with, so I stopped tracking. But then I also don't consider the non fiber carbs in foods like potatoes or oatmeal or pasta something to avoid beyond having a general goal for carbs and calories.