I love U but you make me sick! Wa-wa, you aren't sore!

givprayz
givprayz Posts: 328
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I love the community here, but some of you folks make me sick. What is this, complaining that your work-outs DON'T make you sore! :grumble: I'll trade. I have been in pain for 2 weeks now, just because I decided that walking alone wasn't good enough. I will continue to be sore, stike that, very sore, for another 2 or 3 weeks, even if I take it somewhat easy on myself. It's just the way it is for me, and always has been. I see you people who exercise for 2.5, 3, 4 hours a day and I want to puke. :huh: I'm lucky to make it through an hour class. And don't think I'll see huge results for all this pain, oh no, I don't know what muscle definition looks like on this body, because it never happens. Genetics: an unfair lottery that I just seem to have lost at. :sick:

(Thanks for the rant. I feel better now. No, wait, I still hurt a LOT! Grrrr!) :mad:

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    You will be surprised how quickly you get better at everything. Toughen up, lady!
  • I still get sore too!! But I actually have learned to like it!! It makes me feel like I actually did something!!

Congrats on losing 25!!!!! Obviously what you are doing is working! :bigsmile:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    whew! i am sore right now sitting on my couch. i have been doing the Jillian Michaels "No Trouble Zones" DVD and i didn't realize that some of the parts of my body that are hurting, COULD hurt. I like that aching feeling though, it makes me feel like i am accomplishing something. Its like i can feel my muscles building.
    Keep it up!! YOUR AMAZING!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Well, I am one of those who are working out , now, matter of fact , this morning, for 3 hours...........

I do it because I have exercise induced asthma and I HAVE to get my blood pressure back to what it was, of which I have done..........

Im working out 3 hours a day to lose weight, so I wont die of obesity..........Lloyd
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Sore is good. Sore means your muscles were challenged and they are repairing. However, don't overdo it so bad you can't move.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Are you stretching post workout? Drinking plenty of water? Those things really can affect your stiffness. I've also heard that coffee before or after a workout can help to prevent DOMS. (delayed onset muscle soreness). Don't know if there's truth to that though.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Oops (lol) I think I was one of those that commented that I wasn't sore after working out.

I feel your pain. but remember we are all different. I actually commend you and I know that I should probably be a litttle more sore than I am because I know I'm not giving it my all when I get out there. Sometimes it is all that I can do just to get my butt to the gym and go through the motions.

There are some days when I could spend all day and just really hit it and go for it. But usually I have my bare minimum requirements (but that's 2 hours worth) and I'm out of there as soon as I've gotten that last step done and I don't do one more.

So the lesson I've learned from your post is that I may need to increase what I consider my minimum requirements. Although, I'm addicted to exercise now and actually crave it, I don't know that I will ever get to where where I won't have days that I'm not dragging but if I expect more out of myself then I will do more.

Even going through the motion there is a benefit but more importantly it keeps me in the habit of going so that I have more days where I do feel like hitting it hard.

Thanks for being a good example and feel free to rant anytime. We all have issues that we'd like to get out and we usually feel better when we do.

Have a great day.

- Eva
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    I love the community here, but some of you folks make me sick. What is this, complaining that your work-outs DON'T make you sore! :grumble: I'll trade. I have been in pain for 2 weeks now, just because I decided that walking alone wasn't good enough. I will continue to be sore, stike that, very sore, for another 2 or 3 weeks, even if I take it somewhat easy on myself. It's just the way it is for me, and always has been. I see you people who exercise for 2.5, 3, 4 hours a day and I want to puke. :huh: I'm lucky to make it through an hour class. And don't think I'll see huge results for all this pain, oh no, I don't know what muscle definition looks like on this body, because it never happens. Genetics: an unfair lottery that I just seem to have lost at. :sick:

(Thanks for the rant. I feel better now. No, wait, I still hurt a LOT! Grrrr!) :mad:

Thanks for being so supportive of the whole ENTIRE MFP community! I appreciate being slapped in the face for a thread that I started earlier for a legitimate question. :angry: I can't believe that I can't come here to ask questions without worrying that someone will make fun of me or rant about a question I had. You're a child. Thanks for crapping on my semi-good day I was having.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Thanks for being so supportive of the whole ENTIRE MFP community! I appreciate being slapped in the face for a thread that I started earlier for a legitimate question. I can't believe that I can't come here to ask questions without worrying that someone will make fun of me or rant about a question I had. You're a child. Thanks for crapping on my semi-good day I was having.
    Chin up, twinsie! :flowerforyou: She's a newbie. :tongue:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Sore is good. Sore means your muscles were challenged and they are repairing. However, don't overdo it so bad you can't move.

Sore is not "good". Soreness means that you did something different or that you did something you weren't ready for. Soreness sometimes just happens, sometimes it is unavoidable. Soreness can indicate a bad workout as much as a good one. Soreness can be the byproduct of a workout but it should not be a goal.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member

Sore is not "good". Soreness means that you did something different or that you did something you weren't ready for. Soreness sometimes just happens, sometimes it is unavoidable. Soreness can indicate a bad workout as much as a good one. Soreness can be the byproduct of a workout but it should not be a goal.

Really? I am sore after every weight lifting workout..... I can feel exactly which muscles were targeted in the previous day's workout. Not good? :embarassed: :frown:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member

Thanks for being so supportive of the whole ENTIRE MFP community! I appreciate being slapped in the face for a thread that I started earlier for a legitimate question. :angry: I can't believe that I can't come here to ask questions without worrying that someone will make fun of me or rant about a question I had. You're a child. Thanks for crapping on my semi-good day I was having.

I'm pretty sure she was joking.....easy. No need to get inflamed
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    it is like getting blisters. -> Depends on the shoe.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581

I'm pretty sure she was joking.....easy. No need to get inflamed

Didn't read like a joke to me, but even so....those comments are not supportive.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Haha!! I went dancing Saturday night and I'm STILL sore. Honest to goodness, I am quickly realizing I am not 25 years old anymore!!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I'm sore allllll the time. I do weights. Exercise bike. & Running.

Its all about damage and recovery. I'll have a really intense work out and ignore the pain as I sweat it out for 70-90mins and then give myself a few days to recover with more moderate workouts of 30-50mins and vary the type of exercise to give my body some much deserved recovery time.

I was over 200lbs when I took up running. Believe me when I say that it hurt. But it was totally worth it now that I'm 40 lbs lighter.

Just listen to your body and don't work out thru an injury (this is the hard part) and make sure to stretch lots and lots. I use a heating pad on sore muscles sometimes and take ibuprofen when needed.

My knee's hate running (but my @ss & thighs love it).
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Have no fear dear, you will not be sore forever. :wink: Once you get fitter -- soreness will be a thing of the pass. Don't buy into the hype of no pain no gain. Pain is not necessary to be healthier and lose weight. Soreness is not pain. If you are experiencing real pain then you may be over doing it. If soreness it should feel good. Once your muscles get use to the new activites it will pass for sure or it will get better over time. It bet it will not take 2 weeks either.

I have been told that exercise is only 20 to 30 percent of it and I tend to believe this also. sorry about your genes. I thinks mines are bad too! lol! :laugh:

Hope you feel better soon.....:flowerforyou:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    I like sore (I almost said "stiff" but didn't want to start a whole new convo). I am at the gym 2 hours a pop. Last night I burn 1000+ calories from lifting and cardio. Like Az said, sore to me means I found something I wasn't working out previously.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I always believed if you were "sore" for more than a day or two, it was overuse and fatigue of your muscles. Maybe it's time to switch up to something like yoga or pilates which are less impact type of exercises. Maybe try rebounding too. I would also wonder what type of muscle recovery product you are using or your water consumption. I certainly would hope that no one was really being critical over the level of exercises each person is doing to get to their goals.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328

Wow! I think someone needs to take themselves, and everyone else, a little less seriously. I was mostly joking, but I have to say it is a bit depressing for those of us who work so hard, and hurt so much, for every little gain, to hear people complain that their workouts don't cause pain, even when they are still seeing other results. I keep getting advice like, try yoga, or stretch more. Well it was yoga that started the soreness, and I stretch like crazy (yoga forces that). It's just the way I am, the way you are just lucky enough to get results without hurting. If you want to feel slapped for it, be my guest, or lighten up and consider yourself lucky instead.
This discussion has been closed.