Do nuts trigger overeating for anybody else? Just me?

Options

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    If I have salted ones I really do tend to over eat. Plain ones, not so much. :)

Ha! I'm the opposite. The salty ones I can take or leave. It's the raw and the unsalted roasted nuts that call to me.
  • Pamelicious1988
    Pamelicious1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I adore nuts, too, but I've restricted myself to raw only. You can read up on that if you don't know how roasting and salting turns a healthful snack into junk food, more or less.

I usually eat raw almonds, and my MFP listing gives them by count rather than by the gram (10 = 70 calories), so I know too well how I used to sabotage myself by popping a handful every time I walked through the kitchen. Now I mix them with an ounce or so of organic raisins or dried cherries and snack on them while I watch TV, instead of the candy, chocolate, chips, and ice cream I used to much on for an evening treat.

For some reason, I tend to overeat raw cashews—something about the creamy texture. I rarely eat nut butters, just add a little tahini to recipes or smoothies. At 1,240 calories a day with little regular exercise to create a calorie deficit, I just can't afford them for now.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    More than once I have been tempted by a bag of pistachios at Trader Joe's and played in-the-cart-no-out-of-the-cart-no-in-the-cart-no-out-of-the-cart until I manage to walk away from them. I know that once I open that bag, they are as good as gone. They are the only nut that I have no self-control over. None.
  • krio33
    krio33 Posts: 2
    Options
    It does for me. But I have realized that a big part of the trigger is actually that I get super thirsty, and instead of realizing I need to drink water I end up indulging in more peanuts/almonds/cashews/nut butters. I have started drinking a cup of water before my nuts treat and then a cup after (or half water bottle before / half after). It definitely curbs my craving.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I definitely giggled through this entire thread.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I easily overeat nuts as I like to munch on cruchy stuff.. so I only buy small bags of about 200 cal each (haven't found anything smaller and I do not have the self control to buy a big bag and prepare portions myself..).
    I think oat biscuits make me crave more for some reason, so I stick to a bread roll instead.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I hope so
  • Caligirl0
    Caligirl0 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    roasted and salted yes.
    Pre packaged raw almonds, no...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I dislike nuts. Of any kind. Peanuts excluded, of course, but those are legumes, not nuts.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Nuts don't make me hungry but I'm not surprised you aren't the only one. Everyone is different. I eat about a dozen unsalted roasted almonds a day and about the same amount of unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Nuts may as well be potato chips or cookies for me. I can eat a ton. Especially cashews...

Ditto....

PB2 powder has chocolate and peanut butter flavors and 85% less calories than peanut butter..... again .. I digress
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I'm not crazy! I went to Fresh Market where you can make your own bags of different sorts of nuts. I got all unsalted or raw. But I thought I was going to get a bag that would last me the week. Ya... um... no.... I ate them in one sitting at work. But what I do like is that I can go to Fresh Market, get a SMALL portion and then go to work. If I buy them little bits at a time then they aren't around for me to eat like Cookie Monster eats cookies.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I only eat raw nuts. I take long rides on my road bike and always have some dates and nuts with me. Usually I put them together in the blender and make myself little snacks. They are much healthier and more effective than energy bars.

I think your problem is that you eat treated salted nuts.

I have given up nearly all processed food and have much less problems with cravings. It is the processed food which makes us addicted. It is designed to make you addictive. Lots of salt, fat and sugar.
  • kdbnmd
    kdbnmd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Omg nuts I cant stop at a handful..or a serving
    so I don't even try
  • GoForLew
    GoForLew Posts: 22
    Options
    I overeat nuts so quickly. I LOVE them, which is why I try not to keep them around too often.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    OH YES. Cashews are my arch-nemesis. One handful sends me into lunatic-mode where I either finish off the whole can or ransack the entire pantry. We don't buy them anymore. :laugh:
  • vanessahaslag
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.... Not buying another bag of trail mix until I've reached my goal weight..... Uh what is it about nuts? lol
  • Telomin
    Telomin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My tip is buying one container, then splitting it up into one serving each (on the packages it usually says how many servings there are in the pack), so just split it up, put in different for example, small plastic bags, and then you are only allowed to take one each day :) good luck!
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have to scoop a few spoonfuls into a baggy or else I would eat them all. Or, I buy them in the individual sized packages at Trader Joe's...