Need some help

Options
Hey guys! I need a little help. This summer my weight loss journey has been very, very slow. I've lost maybe 5 pounds. I do look better than I did 4 months ago, but it's not quite there. I was eating around 1270 calories, but I got way too hungry and adjusted to 1500 recently. Also, exercise has been spotty at best. Now I'm heading back to college in a week, and I need some advice on a path forward. How do I accelerate this weight loss? How do I diet when eating primarily from the dining hall? (Also, I'm a pescatarian, so meat other than seafood is off limits). I have a very demanding class schedule--how do I fit in time to work out? Lastly, I've never tried lifting and the thought scares me to death, especially using the gym when a bunch of giant, sweaty guys are going to be there, judging this pudgy, shy girl trying to pick up a weight. Help?

Replies

• embracingashley
    embracingashley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What do you do for exercise?
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I do some Zumba videos in my basement, because I can be alone. But at college, there isn't enough space for Zumba in my dorm room. There's a mini-gym in my dorm, with exercise machines and a few hand weights, and there's a big gym on campus. But I don't have the slightest idea how to use any of the stuff in there.
  • AksGk
    AksGk Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey,
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Really works. It's only 28 mins session... :) all the best
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great for burning tons of calories. Also make use of the free weights in the gym. There are many online programs that you can follow as well as tons of youtube videos for beginner full body dumbbell routines. Lifting weights makes a world of a difference in shape. Do not be scared of lifting. I was terrified when I first started and now I love it. I do it at home, but have the confidence to now do it in a gym if I had too.

As far as food is concerned, if you are truly committed to losing weight then you will have to make sacrifices like not eating so much from the dining hall. Try and keep quick and easy foods on hand that you know the calories of. You can only guestimate food from the dining hall and it may certainly be inaccurate, which will stall your weight loss.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, and watch your macros- you're eating very carb heavy. Your college gym might have people on hand who can help- that's how I've learned to lift. I literally just ask people, "Hey, can you teach me to do that?"
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym available, as you mentioned, make use of it! Learn how to lift and use all the machines - from a professional, though! Too many people use improper form. Not only do you risk injury that way, but are ineffective.

As far as diet, it depends on what is and isn't available to you. Even if it isn't the healthiest food, just eat smaller portions. And walking around campus to and from classes should help, right?
  • embracingashley
    embracingashley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You may be interested in atomicweightloss.com then. You get emails everyday with workouts you can do and meals to make, plus the guy that runs it (used to be my PT) has a youtube channel so he shows you how to do everything.

I used to be scared of the gym too, but then I realized that there will always be someone fitter than I am and I should allow myself to be stopped by that. You will be surprised at how nice people are!

Plus I started wearing funny tops which helps break the ice like "Turning my Flab into Fab" and stuff like that. I finally own who I am and people respect that.

Maybe try the elliptical first and you can sort of people watch and see how others work out too? Maybe then you'll see someone there who inspires you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Use the gym, someone will be happy to show you and you'll love it! When you have to use the dining hall, just make conscientious decisions.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I do some Zumba videos in my basement, because I can be alone. But at college, there isn't enough space for Zumba in my dorm room. There's a mini-gym in my dorm, with exercise machines and a few hand weights, and there's a big gym on campus. But I don't have the slightest idea how to use any of the stuff in there.

Here's my tip as a college student myself--take full advantage of your campus's sports center/gym. I would think that there's a staff of instructors and trainers dedicated to helping students who are completely new to a structured routine.

Definitely find out what resources are available for that. For example, my university has a one credit Physical Ed course (non-graded) that students can take for free to get familiarized with the gym and to set up a personalized program. So, basically FREE personal training. Don't be afraid--the trainers love to help us attain healthy goals.

As far as cafeteria eating, check to see who the dining manager is, and if they have a registered dietician on staff. Bonus if they have calorie and nutrition info available for the meals (even if there's an online place with it). That way, you can make some choices ahead of time for what your day's meals will be.
  • skinnymini2552
    Options
    Use the elliptical and/or bike! I personally prefer the elliptical since you generally burn 100 calories every 10 mins! (depending on your weight of course).