Heart Rate questions

Sprinkles77
Sprinkles77 Posts: 20
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Can you keeping your heart rate up too high during your cardio be bad for losing weight?

Just a little background here. I'm 33, weight 150 and 5'3". I have been going to the gym for 3 weeks now 3 days a week and have been doing a 25 minute cardio with elliptical or treadmill then 30 minutes of weight machines. I have not lost one pound however I have stated losing a few inches. It was pointed out to me maybe I am getting my heart rate up too high. I walk on treadmill at 3.5 for a few minutes then run at 5.5 for a few and I go back and forth. I started slowing down the running because I hit a heart rate of 192. I don't go until my chest hurts or I am dizzy I go until mu legs are too tired to handle it. In all I only end up running about 3/4 of a mile and walking abut 3/4 -1.25 miles in the 25 minute time frame. I know I still need to work on eating better so I count this as some of my non weight loss issue.

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    A high heart rate won't affect your weight loss. If anything, the harder your heart pumps, the more calories you'll burn. This is the basis of interval training where you'll do shorter bursts of a higher intensity, thus doing more work and burning more calories.

Keep in mind that the scale doesn't measure body composition. Lean mass (muscle, Bone etc) weights more than fat but takes up less space, so the result is weighing the same but losing the inches (as you've already seen).

Sounds like you're on the right track and judge by how your clothes fit, not just the number on the scale.

As far as your heart rate goes, judge yourself by how you feel and modify the intensity to that you can maintain a pace but not at the risk of passing out or collapsing.

Cheers,
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    If you've lost inches it means you have burned off some fat and your muscles are getting bigger (a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat). So you may be the same size but you are physically smaller. You're on the right track! Muscle burns more calories than fat when @ rest so you'll see a drop on the scale soon, don't worry :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I know I still need to work on eating better so I count this as some of my non weight loss issue.

Not trying to be flippant, but there is your answer.

Exercise plays a supportive role in losing weight. It is extremely important, IMO, for long-term gains, however, it plays a relatively minor role in actually losing the weight. You are doing great be getting into a routine and you are seeing physical results. As a beginner, the amount and level of exercise you are doing is not generating enough of a calorie deficit to see dramatic, fast results. It's going to take a while for you to "rev" your body up, so to speak.

In answer to your question, no, your heart rate is not too high. Pay attention to your feelings of exertion, not just heart rate. Keep doing interval type workouts where you are alternating running and walking. There is no need to push yourself to run continuously at this time. It would be better to increase your overall minutes.

If you could add 2 more days of cardio to your routine, that would help. But making diet changes and portion control are your top priorities right now. It might take a few more weeks, but you should eventually start seeing results if you are doing the right things.

My wife is about you size (actually she started a few pounds heavier). She started summer 2009 doing a similar exercise routine, but was reluctant to make serous diet changes -- in the past she had always lost weight just through exercise. After 6-7 wks, she did not lose anything and gave up for the year (she teaches elementary school, which kind of puts you in a cocoon during the school year). This summer, she tried again. Still did not see results right away, but she worked a little higher on her exercise routine and, this time, committed to some portion control and diet changes. After 7 weeks, the scale finally started to drop and she was able to drop 10-12 pounds in 3 months, which she is now trying to maintain during the school year.

So hang in there -- I know it's tough when you are not seeing results, but keep the faith.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Thanks Azdak for important reminder onf dietary changes is absolutely necessary.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Thanks Azdak for important reminder onf dietary changes is absolutely necessary.

Yup, you may be fitter with just exercise and you may even see weight loss, but you will never be truly healthy until you eat better and less.
  • Thanks for the info. I am working on portion control and what I eat but I am still over my recommended calorie limit. Not sure how you ladies and gentlemen stay under 1,600 that's counts eating my workout calories. I am sure if I can get my family on board with eating healthier it will be easier for me and better for us all. My teen is horrified I have banned chips from the house or at least I better not find the or in the trash they go.
    Azdak I understand how your wife felt, earlier this year I was dong great the same thing I am now but I added in one or two more days of cardio each week and in 10 weeks I lost 12 pounds but I got slack and regained half of them back I just have to work harder and eat smarter!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Thanks for the info. I am working on portion control and what I eat but I am still over my recommended calorie limit. Not sure how you ladies and gentlemen stay under 1,600 that's counts eating my workout calories. I am sure if I can get my family on board with eating healthier it will be easier for me and better for us all. My teen is horrified I have banned chips from the house or at least I better not find the or in the trash they go.
    Azdak I understand how your wife felt, earlier this year I was dong great the same thing I am now but I added in one or two more days of cardio each week and in 10 weeks I lost 12 pounds but I got slack and regained half of them back I just have to work harder and eat smarter!

It is very hard for me too, but with eating veggies and a few fruits and some whole grains with recommended amounts of protien it can be done. I am learning to eat more and more veggies. I am doing fruit OK nowadays but I still struggle with veggies. It is still an effort for me and I have to be very mindful of eating my 5 to 7 portions of veggies and fruits otherwise I will only have 2 or 3 fruits a day.
  • Try allowing a higher calorie limits or keep it as is, but go for nutrient density, or .... um ... I don't know what is is called but some foods take more energy to break down, digest and turn into glucose; so even though the calorie may be higher the net calorie (what's left over after convrting to glucose) is lower. Labels don't nessesarily reflect that. So ... it's more like watch the sugar counts not the carbs.

I don't know if that made sense, but I hope it helps.
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Hi Sprinkles77: My adult family does not want to make changes in thier eating either. I can't impose on them but I can control me. I really watch what I am eating during the day at work and drink lots of water. I still cook the things they, and face it I like, but I eat less at supper and try not to do seconds. I also try not to snack or severly limit the size of the snack (yes you can eat only one chip or a piece of a chocolate bar).

I also buy chips and other things that the family wants but that I don't like. I try to show the example, but until they come on board I am looking after me.

Also, don't beat yourself up for going over the calorie count. Try to meet it tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.