willpower is.....

Options
124»

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on a diet of 700 to 1k cals per day but vomiting up the almonds you ate because I just didn't need the calories.

I'm not judging or whatnot, but I don't think this is a healthy approach to food.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There was a retirement party for a dear sweet man at work 2 weeks ago. my boss bought five 12-packs of soda and there were 3 left over. They are sitting in the break room still because I have had not one drop. Before this summer, I would have had a minimum of one per day.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in will power. I believe in fitting in so much good stuff into your every day life first that you don't have room for much of that isn't quite the best choice. After a while being balanced is so much of your normal lifestyle, that no will power is needed. You just live like a healthy person and know that you're treating your physical and emotional well-being right.

thats nice and all, but sometimes you just want a big salty pretzel, :laugh:

I don't actually. I don't like to be bloated. I don't like to feel like junk, period. And generally, eating junk makes me feel like junk. I seriously have NO DESIRE for junk food. I eat real ice cream. I haven't eaten pizza in so long I don't even desire it and when I do, it pretty much makes me crap my pants. I ate Taco Bell once in the last 6 months essentially because I had no other options. That's the only fast food I've eaten. Eating good food has made me hate fake food. It tastes bad, too salty, too sweet. Bring on the steak and fruit for me. My calorie allowance is so high (2700 average per day) that I can eat whatever I want and just choose not to eat that stuff because it makes me feel bad and no longer tastes good.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Knowing what you REALLY want.

I like this definition. I'm stealing it.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Only eating half of my special fried rice for tea and saving the rest for tonight..
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ...knowing that you have none, so it's better to just not take that first bite of ice cream, cake, or candy bar. One bite is too many and 1000 bites are not enough.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in will power. I believe in fitting in so much good stuff into your every day life first that you don't have room for much of that isn't quite the best choice. After a while being balanced is so much of your normal lifestyle, that no will power is needed. You just live like a healthy person and know that you're treating your physical and emotional well-being right.

thats nice and all, but sometimes you just want a big salty pretzel, :laugh:

I don't actually. I don't like to be bloated. I don't like to feel like junk, period. And generally, eating junk makes me feel like junk. I seriously have NO DESIRE for junk food. I eat real ice cream. I haven't eaten pizza in so long I don't even desire it and when I do, it pretty much makes me crap my pants. I ate Taco Bell once in the last 6 months essentially because I had no other options. That's the only fast food I've eaten. Eating good food has made me hate fake food. It tastes bad, too salty, too sweet. Bring on the steak and fruit for me. My calorie allowance is so high (2700 average per day) that I can eat whatever I want and just choose not to eat that stuff because it makes me feel bad and no longer tastes good.

how wonderful for you.
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    not taking a second helping of supper like i used to
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Will power is finite. Think of will power as an elastic band it only stretches so far. Eventually it runs out and you can't sustain what your doing in order to achieve your goal. So set yourself realistic goals, use your will power wisely don't over stretch it and you will find your making progress on your path to success.

Actually according to recent studies willpower is actually like a muscle you can strengthen with repeated use.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/good-thinking/201306/how-boost-your-willpower

Willpower is not reaching for that fourth beer on a weds.............

If it's like a muscle, though, you can only use it so often and for so many things before it gives out. I won't take the analogy as far as injury. But I do know that the more willpower I have to exert during the day, the less I have at the end of the day. No matter what I'm using it for.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    eating just one chip

HAHA yes this!!
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    ...completely unreliable when there is a plethora of junk food always within reach.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    .. not as effective as a good plan.

just about what I was going to type out. Preplanning is your best defense. It starts with what is in your fridge/pantry and sticking to a shopping list and meal planning.