My Fitness Pal Wrong Macros?

Options
New to this app - been recommended it, but it's confusing to say the least...

Entered my bodyweight 17st 1lb (249 lbs), now it's supposed to be 1 gram of protein per every pound of bodyweight... wondering why my fitness pal is only suggesting 152g protein to maintain this weight?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks - Steve

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Actually it's more like 1 gram per pound of lean body weight (non fat body weight) which could be anywhere between 50-90% of your body weight depending on how much body fat you have. A common average is 80% (so for you that would be 199 grams)

I believe MFP sets macros based on recommended daily allowances which tend to be much less than an athlete would want.

But it gives you the opportunity to custom set macros by percentages to get close to the goals you want.

Typical is 40/30/30, carbs, protein, fat.
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    New to this app - been recommended it, but it's confusing to say the least...

Entered my bodyweight 17st 1lb (249 lbs), now it's supposed to be 1 gram of protein per every pound of bodyweight... wondering why my fitness pal is only suggesting 152g protein to maintain this weight?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks - Steve

I went to IIFYM.com and used their calculator and go by that
  • SteveGStar
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys... i'm currently at 19% bodyfat, wanting to achieve my goal of getting down to 10% (ripped)...

Can anyone please suggest how I find my maintenance macros (protein / carbs / fats / calories needed to maintain this weight), to cut & to bulk?

A total of 3 different macros sets are what i'm looking at - but can't get my head around this?
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys... i'm currently at 19% bodyfat, wanting to achieve my goal of getting down to 10% (ripped)...

Can anyone please suggest how I find my maintenance macros (protein / carbs / fats / calories needed to maintain this weight), to cut & to bulk?

A total of 3 different macros sets are what i'm looking at - but can't get my head around this?

IIFYM.com should be able to tell you all of that

and this website might help also

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • maurice566
    Options
    Hello Everyone
    I'm Maurice566

I am new to MFP. I would like to know how you delete a meal plan if it you have made a mistake.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When it comes to entering macros on MFP, I try my best to be as close as possible. However , I use a different app that is more accurate and lets me jump back and forth with my high carb days and low carb days.