Any swimmers out there

Options
I started swimming again this week. It's the first time in over four years that I've gotten into the pool. Wow! I had forgotten what a great workout it is. I've been doing strength training, walking, the elliptical and yoga and thought I was in great shape but my first 1/2 mile kicked my butt! It really is a full body workout!

Does anyone else swim?

Also, I've heard that there is an MP3 player that can be worn in the pool. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, who makes it?

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I started swimming again this week. It's the first time in over four years that I've gotten into the pool. Wow! I had forgotten what a great workout it is. I've been doing strength training, walking, the elliptical and yoga and thought I was in great shape but my first 1/2 mile kicked my butt! It really is a full body workout!

Does anyone else swim?

Also, I've heard that there is an MP3 player that can be worn in the pool. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, who makes it?
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love to swim, swam competitively in my younger years. I try to get out and swim about 2x's per week. Hard to do with the kids and of course there is no daycare for the military pools. I love it for the all body workout. Muscles and cardio. Although, I remember all of our swim practices and can't believe I ever lasted that long.
  • lessertess
    Options
    I never had the opportunity to swim competitively, so have never done the drills: just laps. A few years ago when I started swimming there was a club that did swimming drills. Most of the members had been competitive swimmers in the past. I had planned on joining when I became a little more proficient and then I moved.

Those workouts are tough! I guess I'm going to have to work up to it again....
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the age where there weren't a whole lot of "girl" sports other than softball, so I had horses and rode, but my parents got me into swimming. How long do you swim for? I get only about 30 min, but I break it up into power drills to maximize the burn.
  • lessertess
    Options
    Right now I'm just doing a straight mile of laps, swim time depends on how I'm feeling but it's taking me about 40-45 minutes right now.
  • twingle08
    twingle08 Posts: 40
    Options
    The swimming device I know of is called a SwimMp3 player. I have seen them around and everyone who I've asked has said they are great! I work in the water so really struggle to go in outside of work to actually swim - I hate being wet everyday!! BUT I did go the last couple of weeks and swim a 700m swim (not far but I did it!)

I think it had been about 2 yrs since I had swam lengths! My shoulders were so sore the next day!
    m
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I started swimming again last January after some years of not doing it. Boy did I swallow a lot of water!! I didn't remember it being that hard in my younger years either, but it's like riding a bike. I usually swim 30-40 min, at least 1 mile. Once a week I swim for an hour. It's awesome--I switch it up with elliptical & walking for the legs.
  • beautifulbay
    beautifulbay Posts: 159
    Options
    I love swimming!!! It is one of my biggest joys ... exercise that's FUN!!! Get me in a pool, there is no getting me out. :bigsmile:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I LOVE swimming, and buying a waterproof case for my mp3 player changed my LIFE!

I have the H2O Audio one, it fits on over your iPod shuffle (the little square one) and I love it. It doesn't work perfectly (sound can go in and out, headphones are a bit uncomfortable) but just being able to hear music while doing endless laps is amazing.

I've always been an ocean swimmer, and started swimming regularly in the pool after my back surgery. Now, after a knee surgery, I'm back at it again. In fact, think I'll go bike down to the pool right now!
  • Doozie
    Doozie Posts: 53
    Options
    I swam competitivly growing up, I never realized what a work out it was! After 20 years I am back in the pool, it kicks my butt but I love it. It is an incredible work out.:happy:
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there, yes, I started back in the pool in Jan after 4 years out and try to go 2-3 times a week. Am going to rejoin a Masters squad to try to push myself out of my comfort zone .....I too find it a great work out as I dislike the gym anyway, why get hot and sweaty when you can keep cool in the water?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lessertess
    Options
    The swimming device I know of is called a SwimMp3 player. I have seen them around and everyone who I've asked has said they are great!

Thanks, I think I'll make it my project next weekend to find one. I'm a little less sore today than I was. I'm back in the pool tomorrow morning.

It's great to rediscover old passions isn't it!

Tess
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

Does anyone else swim?

Swimmer here!!!! sorta getting back into it is what I mean. But I have heard of this device. I beleive it is called a "dri-pod" and covers up your ipod with a water resistant cover and waterproof headphones its like 50 I think. I saw it in fitness mag
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'd love to swim for exercise, the only thing I get scared about is getting a leg cramp when I'm over my head. That happened to me once as a child swimming acrossed a pond and it was the most terrifying thing! Has this happened to any of you?
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    yeah i started taking the kids to a swim class on saturdays!
    its fun!
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I love to swim. I competed for 8 years! Now, I use that to help me in training for my triathlons! I love it. getting in the water is like home for me!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'd love to swim for exercise, the only thing I get scared about is getting a leg cramp when I'm over my head. That happened to me once as a child swimming acrossed a pond and it was the most terrifying thing! Has this happened to any of you?

It's a rarity -- get back in there! You will see it is so different as an adult, and cramps are really nothing to be scared of. You can just float on your back (or step out of the pool...LOL) until it goes away.

Tess -- did you decide what kind of player to get? I'm curious to see what people say about ones other than the H20 Audio on that I have.

Here's mine:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8640116&type=product&id=1194054019273&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8640116
  • lessertess
    Options
    Tess -- did you decide what kind of player to get? I'm curious to see what people say about ones other than the H20 Audio on that I have.

Here's mine:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8640116&type=product&id=1194054019273&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8640116

My player research is on hold until after the holiday. I'm taking a short vacation. I'm actually suffering a little anxiety over the fact that I'll be away from the gym for a few days....not sure if that a good or bad sign!