Potatoes potatoes, wtf do i do with them?

Options

Replies

• honeytgb
    honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    akgreen324
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

yoBT138.jpg?2?1921
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Anyway, who comes into a recipe thread and tells you an ingredient you want recipes for is "bad"?

"No you don't want to use up those potatoes in a recipe, because THEY. ARE. EVIL."

Bet they're a bunch of fun at parties....
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    so i have a bunch of potatoes left over from the weekend, and i dont know what to do with them
    i make some of the best mash potatoes but im burned out on those so how do you make them?>?

I par boil them, cut them into chunks then fry them in 1 tbsp rapeseed oil with red chilli, garlic, onions and white cabbage and top with an egg.

:love:
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bacon & Onion Foil Packet Potatoes

2 to 3 sheets of heavy-duty foil
    1 packet onion soup powder
    10-12 baby red potatoes, thinly sliced
    12 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
    1 small onion thinly sliced and diced
    1 cup cheese (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons butter
    Sour cream for serving (optional)

Spray each sheet of foil with cooking spray. Top each piece with equal portions of potatoes, bacon, 1 packet onion soup powder and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each serving. Wrap securely.

Grill for 20 to 30 minutes. Or you can bake it in the oven, at 350° [this must be fahrenheit - I'd prob go for 200c] for about 35 minutes or till done. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve in foil, topped with sour cream if desired.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted potatoes, rolled in chopped herbs and drizzled with garlic butter. Roasted potato soup with bacon, chives, and a dollop of sour cream. There's a million yummy things to do with potatoes.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Start a carved potato figurine company
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcfzwc245z1rjgcy1o1_400_zps7a6f9a50.gif
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    baked season fries, yummy!
    My seasoned fries recipe:
    2 large potatoes, sliced into fries or wedges (I have the seen on TV fry cutter, works great)
    1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 425
    I a medium size bowl or a gallon ziplock bag mix all ingredients together until fries are well coated.
    Place on cooking tray and back for 25-30 minutes.
    These are the tastiest fries you will ever eat!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

sorry you are getting so much flack on this thread. not everything you dig out of the ground is good for massive consumption. it appears we are in the minority here on the value of the " potato". lol

What's with the quotes around "potato"? Are you using the word as a euphemism? For what?
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Playing Mr. Potato Head is the healthiest option for them. A few toothpicks, some vegetable scraps, and some imagination can go,a long way. After a few days, take them outside for target practice (beanbag, slingshot, your choice).

I do have to admit, though, that oven roasted with olive oil and rosemary in a very hot convection oven is incredibly good, so roast some to enjoy and decorate the rest.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    My new find is to cut some new red potatoes into chunks and marinate them in oil, vinegar, and thyme for half an hour. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast them. It's a little like salt and vinegar potato chips.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    My new find is to cut some new red potatoes into chunks and marinate them in oil, vinegar, and thyme for half an hour. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast them. It's a little like salt and vinegar potato chips.

Sounds delicious.

Will be trying this...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    treat potatoes like a dessert but that is exactly the way your body will handle a potato. Moderation is key with them if you are trying to lose weight. keep it to a half cup or under per meal if you must have them . potatos are full of potassium , if you eat the skin. Ice cream is full of calcium but that doesn't mean you should eat a ton of it to get your calcium. you can get potassium from tons of other things that wont help you pack on the lbs. potatoes mean nothing to extremely active people who use those carbs fast. those people can probably also eat an extra large portion of mcdonalds French fries everyday and not gain a single pound. lightly active and sedentary people that are actively trying to lose should really limit potatoes. I love it how all these super active gym nutz are consistently pushing the carb heavy foods on people who are not extremely active. eating those foods are how most of us ballooned up to the weight we are.

1. Your body can't tell the difference between a potato and dessert.

2. Who is pushing potatoes on you? There's a difference between saying a food is healthy and pushing. Potatoes are not "bad" foods.

3. I'm sure the "gym nutz" on here are still eating foods in moderation based on their activity levels. Moderation is the key for everyone here, no matter what you do at the gym. I go to the gym a lot and potatoes mean something to me. I still account for the calories and the carbs and if I want a potato the size of my head with butter, sour cream and bacon I will eat it - if it fits into my macros.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Housemate used to make this (or something very like it) and they were delicious - http://honestcooking.com/indian-aloo-potato-fry-recipe/

And if you're after tasty potato salad recipes - http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25578/austrian-potato-salad.aspx
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    treat potatoes like a dessert but that is exactly the way your body will handle a potato. Moderation is key with them if you are trying to lose weight. keep it to a half cup or under per meal if you must have them . potatos are full of potassium , if you eat the skin. Ice cream is full of calcium but that doesn't mean you should eat a ton of it to get your calcium. you can get potassium from tons of other things that wont help you pack on the lbs. potatoes mean nothing to extremely active people who use those carbs fast. those people can probably also eat an extra large portion of mcdonalds French fries everyday and not gain a single pound. lightly active and sedentary people that are actively trying to lose should really limit potatoes. I love it how all these super active gym nutz are consistently pushing the carb heavy foods on people who are not extremely active. eating those foods are how most of us ballooned up to the weight we are.

1. Your body can't tell the difference between a potato and dessert.

2. Who is pushing potatoes on you? There's a difference between saying a food is healthy and pushing. Potatoes are not "bad" foods.

3. I'm sure the "gym nutz" on here are still eating foods in moderation based on their activity levels. Moderation is the key for everyone here, no matter what you do at the gym. I go to the gym a lot and potatoes mean something to me. I still account for the calories and the carbs and if I want a potato the size of my head with butter, sour cream and bacon I will eat it - if it fits into my macros.

Not to mention OP wants to eat potatoes, so really the anti-potato people are the ones pushing an agenda here.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't know exact calorie count but this recipe originally calls for red but have used different types.

Heat oven to 350.
    Slice up 4-6 medium potatoes
    Slice an onion ( or 2)
    Pour approx. 3 tbsps. olive oil in baking dish
    Add your potato and onions.
    Stir them around a little
    Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes

Bake covered (foil) 25 minutes
    Bake additional 20-25 till tender uncovered

Kind of a healthier version of fried potatoes.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

This post is AMAZING!
    Oh MFP! Don't ever change! EVER!!!
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options

No. Potatoes are excellent. Besides, there are people that can't stand sweet potatoes. Personally they make me gag.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    What are gym nutz? They sound delicious....