Do you log all of your exercise?

Options
I don't tend to. I take at least 2 15-20 minute walks during my work breaks. I walk with others so it's probably about 3 mph or so. I don't tend to count it but I'm wondering if I should. It's not really exercise to me, more like a leasurely walk with co-workers.

Replies

• seemichellerun
    Options
    I don't. I just log what I do at the gym unless it's something VERY strenuous like shoveling snow or yard work.

I guess it's up to you. I know some people on here log everything, even cleaning their house.
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    it depends what you set your lifestyle as... sedentary, active, etc... if you set it as sedentary, I would definitely log it!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I feel bad adding all of my walking too. I walk a lot at work sometimes and I walk to and from the bus stop, grocery store and gym almost every day. I feel like it's part of my day and not real exercise, but it does count. Everything you do that's extra counts. If you'd rather not add it, then you don't have to. You may not be eating quite enough calories on some days though if you're burning an extra 100 by walking and not seeing that listed on your log.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would burn a bit over 100 calories on those walks with coworkers, I counted those calorie burns. We were walking brisk though.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    nah, I wouldn't ... sometimes that gives a false sense of being able to eat more.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah i agree, if you lead a sendentary lifestyle, then i'd log it...get a HRM to see just what you lose...for me I love logging my house cleaning...it's only once a week but man I burn A LOT! the reason why i'd log my "leisure walks" is because i like to eat, and that's an extra 50 calories i can eat...it really is up to you.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. If it was 4mph or over, maybe...but if you don't consider it to be exercise, don't count it as exercise.

I only log workouts, yardword (I rarely do it) and I guess shoveling. But I also have a HRM, if I didn't I wouldn't log anything but workouts.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I log when I walk on purpose of getting a work out. I don't log cleaning my house because I just have to clean my house and always have so I don't think I need to compensate for those calories.

I think if it's something that you're doing as a point of being active then yes. If it's walking to get the mail then no... Does that make sense?
  • msbuzz123
    Options
    I generally exercise for one hour a day. That I log. In addition, I am always walking to and from my kids school to drop them there, pick them up, volunteer, bring forgotten homework, etc. It's probably an additional half mile several times each week - that I don't log. I figure that some of my food estimates may not be perfectly accurate - especially when eating out - so it all averages out.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of my exercise. I just use this site to track my daily caloric intake.
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    If I break into a sweat or feel my heart beating faster, I will log it. Otherwise, I just mainly stick to me gym workouts.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For the most part I just just log my 'real' workouts. However, I work a desk job and I think it's good to get up and get out of the office once a day. This time of year, when it starts to get cold and snowy, I tend to be reluctant to go out so I started logging a short walk each time I do - I don't worry about timing it exactly or anything, just add 10 minutes of slow walking as a way to keep track of how often I do it. I just find it makes me aware. The calorie burn is negligible, I guess it's more of a mental pat on the back.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I log when I walk on purpose of getting a work out. I don't log cleaning my house because I just have to clean my house and always have so I don't think I need to compensate for those calories.

I think if it's something that you're doing as a point of being active then yes. If it's walking to get the mail then no... Does that make sense?

hahha yeah that makes sense...and it seems to be working for you...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think it depends of what you set your lifestyle as. If you put sedentary then I would definately log it because most sedentary people wouldn't usually take walks regularly. If you put active then I wouldn't because that would be then seen as part of your normal lifestyle.

I used to log pretty much everything and set my lifestyle as sedentary, but since I've got a HRM I've set it to lightly active and just log my workouts. I find i'm probably less likely to overestimate my cals that way.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't log all my workouts, no.

Edited to add: OH! If you're referring to logging my every move, that would be a definite no as well.

I keep track of my workouts but I don't log them all on MFP under my exercises section. I have a journal I keep track in with far more detail of workout times, reasons, locations etc. But I'm referencing home workouts or going to the gym, running etc.

Seems to be working for me:drinker:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to. I take at least 2 15-20 minute walks during my work breaks. I walk with others so it's probably about 3 mph or so. I don't tend to count it but I'm wondering if I should. It's not really exercise to me, more like a leasurely walk with co-workers.

I actually asked that on the message board. The response was yes it can be logged.

I try and take at least one walk during the day since I have a desk job. 3 mph is a moderate pace. I think I do about 3.5 but I have an HRM so I just get my heart rate to my 'Aerobic Zone' and keep it up. I don't count any walking less than 10 minutes (and I'm sweating a bit when I get back to my desk - I stop the HRM when my heart rate is back to normal).

I chose Sedentary since I have a desk job. The walks I take during my workday are specific workout walks - not part of my working day. At the end of the day I deliver calendar cards to my customers and that takes between 10-15 minutes of brisk walking but I don't log it since it is part of my daily activity.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Any kind of activity that is more than lying prone in bed is going to burn calories. Standing burns twice as many calories as sitting...although it's all relative. Someone who sits behind a computer isn't going to burn as much in an 8 hour workday than say someone who is on their feet all day.

I personally log all my activity as I don't feel the Lifestyle modifier is accurate enough to describe me on any given day. Yes, I have an office job by day, but I also coach hockey on the side and have an active recreational hobby base.

So if something is different from my desk job, I'll log it so I can track where I am on a given day. Eg. Spending 3 hours at the zoo on the weekend would be Casual walking 2-3 mph and is definitely different than sitting on the couch watching movies all afternoon.

Cheers.
  • rewdy
    rewdy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely DO log all my workouts. It helps you to see the value of the exercise you do. I try to do 20-30 minutes a day and that allows me to his my calorie goals a lot more easily.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    For the most part I don't log everything... only if it really is out of normal day
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

I walk to the subway every day (about 10 min on each commute) and don't typically log those walks. But my bf's apt is 2m away, so if I do that I'll log it.

If you want to count them but not as much, you could always put it in at a slower speed- say 2.5 mph. When I go shopping (like marathon sessions) I will log 1/2 the time at this slower speed, just to account for the fact that its not a sedentary day but its not a gym hit either.