Losing weight without getting flabby skin???

Options
I have 100+ lbs to lose. I'm scared of getting flabby skin though. How do i prevent it? Right now i go to the gym 5x a week. I do 15-30 minutes of weights and 15-30 minutes of cardio. Would that be enough?? Im also looking for supportive friends so feel free to add me.

Replies

• numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, after a certain higher weight, your skin will have stretched too much to eliminate any chance of having excess skin once you get to an ideal weight. That's just the unfortunate truth. I would say that having 100+lbs to lose is past that marker. I had about 75 lbs to lose, and I have 10 lbs left to go, and I notice loose skin. However, the younger you are, the more water you drink, your genetics, and the slower you lose will all help to minimize the loose skin as much as possible. Toning and firming your muscles will help the skin not be *as* flabby, but it can only do so much.

If you are just starting out exercising after a long period of inactivity, then the amount of weights and cardio you are doing is good, as long as you're challenging yourself. Cardio works for fat loss, so you want to make sure you're doing enough to create a deficit (in addition to eating less). If 15 - 30 minutes of cardio creates that deficit, that's fine. But just make sure you keep a deficit.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    There's not much you can do to prevent excess skin after you're lost a lot of weight. But saggy skin is a much better problem to have than 100 extra pounds.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It's really going to depend on the person and their particular situation. You're young, so that's a big point in your favor. I do know people here who have lost 100+ and do not have loose skin. They are all young and weight train with heavy lifting.

One thing that will help is to not lose too quickly, which will allow your skin more time to adjust as you lose. You should be eating enough that you don't lose more than 2 lbs a week (after your first few weeks, which is probably going to be a pretty big initial water weight loss).

Cardio is not what reduces fat: creating a calorie deficit is what reduces body fat. I suggest you get into weight training as you are able, in order to strengthen your existing muscle and eat at least 1g protein per pound of lean body mass so that you don't lose muscle as you lose weight.

Finally, once you hit your goal, keep in mind that it takes 18 months for your skin to complete its adjustment. A surgeon told one of my friends who had lost a lot of weight that he wouldn't even consider her case until it had been 18 months that she'd kept it off, because until that time, her skin would not have finished healing. Good luck!
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The height you are makes a difference too. A person 5 feet tall losing 100 pounds or a 6 foot person loosing 100 pounds are totally different as far as the effect that the 100 pounds had on their bodies.

The body can adjust to a 100 pound weight loss quite well, especially if one is young, as you are. I'm 100 pounds overweight and 5 feet 7 inches tall. I am not expecting too much loose skin, but I have never been 50 years old either :laugh: I may be in for a surprise. But I am sure it won't be too bad, even if there is a bit more loose skin that what I would have had when I was 24 years old.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have a little. I've tried to slow down my weight loss in the hopes that my skin can keep up.

It's kind of gross. Not really noticeable to others (yet), but a little depressing to me.

If you're young, that is a huge bonus.

Food luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Eat at a reasonable deficit so your skin can shrink down better as you lose. So ~1lb a week is reasonable, or a 20% deficit from your TDEE.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    Finally, once you hit your goal, keep in mind that it takes 18 months for your skin to complete its adjustment. A surgeon told one of my friends who had lost a lot of weight that he wouldn't even consider her case until it had been 18 months that she'd kept it off, because until that time, her skin would not have finished healing. Good luck!

I did not know this! I'm no where near my goal (YET), but this is a good tidbit of information...thanks :)
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Unfortunately, if a person is morbidly obese for example, when they lose weight, they will have loose skin, as being the weight they once were, they would of stretched the skin too far and unfortunately it doesn't just disappear. If you are in that position, it is likely you will have to have surgery to remove it, but it's better to be a healthy weight and have to have skin removed, than be morbidly obese and unhealthy. I am not implying you are, I'm just talking in general here and using examples :)