Is it me....

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
Is it my perception, or does every food I look at seem to have a huge amount of calories and/or fat?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's you
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It's you

Yup.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your perception, or your location maybe. What aisle/restaurant/store are you in? It might just be that the foods you choose to look at are high cal and you need to look at other foods.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    It's you

Yup.

Yes
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    No I.don't think so. There's tons of low calorie options. So it must be just you
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at veggies, then there is something wrong with the prep method that is adding a lot of calories.

If you are looking at food that tastes good... that is normal. Steak is calorie dense... well I have yet to find a cut f beef that isn't calorie dense actually. Almost anything having to do with bread will have high calorie counts unless it's that cardboard low cal stuff. Most processed and pre-packaged foods are also calorie dense. There are exceptions to every guideline, but I haven't found an exception yet worth eating.

Welcome to your lifestyle change.
  • Gidzmo
    Options
    Your perception, or your location maybe. What aisle/restaurant/store are you in? It might just be that the foods you choose to look at are high cal and you need to look at other foods.

Sometimes it's a muffin, or a can of soup, or something else. It'll be the 7-11 around the corner from work or the grocery down the street.

Just trying not to be discouraged--trying to find a bigger variety of good taste and low-calorie in the same package.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Not just you. But I've found that it's still possible to eat a lot of food for 1700 calories.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    What foods are you looking at? EMPTY OUT THOSE BAD FOODS!! THROW 'EM OUT!! lol

Start looking at healthy foods and they shouldn't look like that.

If the healthy foods are still looking like they are packed with too many calories, it could be your perception of "food" could be way off :/ then you may need to seek medical help.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Sometimes it's a muffin, or a can of soup, or something else. It'll be the 7-11 around the corner from work or the grocery down the street.

Just trying not to be discouraged--trying to find a bigger variety of good taste and low-calorie in the same package.

Muffin, cans.. 7-11.. all have bad stuff! stay away from muffins and anything canned.. the 7-11 is for lotto tickets not food.

Grocery stores, walk the perimeter.. Stay away from the bad foods!! good luck!
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    you can eat a lot if you can just watch portions and have a balance of all types of food so your not feeling deprived. You'd be suprised how much you could eat on 1500!:drinker:
  • Gidzmo
    Options
    you can eat a lot if you can just watch portions and have a balance of all types of food so your not feeling deprived. You'd be suprised how much you could eat on 1500!:drinker:

Which is what I try to do. Amazing how many calories are in a muffin!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Which is what I try to do. Amazing how many calories are in a muffin!

Muffins are crazy calorie heavy, that's true.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into getting a cookbook and some ingredients and baking the muffins yourself? You can knock out some of the calories by subbing, say, apple sauce for some of the oil if the recipe calls for it, for example, and you can use more nutrient rich whole grain flour vs white flour, that sort of thing.

As for soups - again, you can get a can for like 300 calories or make your own for way, way lower (half that or less, depending on what you put In it).

Yeah, tasty prepackaged and bakery foods are gonna be high calorie. I make a lot of those things from scratch - not often but sometimes - and the caloric count almost always comes out a little better with the plus of not having the preservative aftertaste. :)
  • wife228
    wife228 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're just looking in the wrong places.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    depends on what your definition of high is really.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into getting a cookbook and some ingredients and baking the muffins yourself? You can knock out some of the calories by subbing, say, apple sauce for some of the oil if the recipe calls for it, for example, and you can use more nutrient rich whole grain flour vs white flour, that sort of thing.

As for soups - again, you can get a can for like 300 calories or make your own for way, way lower (half that or less, depending on what you put In it).

Yeah, tasty prepackaged and bakery foods are gonna be high calorie. I make a lot of those things from scratch - not often but sometimes - and the caloric count almost always comes out a little better with the plus of not having the preservative aftertaste. :)

^^this

the package is the problem, you can make just about everything better and usually it will contain less sugar, sodium, chemicals and preservatives.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's you

Yup.

Yes

yessiree bob
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Is it my perception, or does every food I look at seem to have a huge amount of calories and/or fat?

I do not think it is just you. Many people who start this journey have this experience. In part it is because you are more aware now how many calories items have. It is good you are aware of this. Don't let it rule you though. Now that you have the knowledge, make better choices when eating. You can still eat a lot of food when you do.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes, and BTW there's nowt wrong with fat.