Sodium nightmare

But contrary to what the topic says, I'm trying not to stress over it...

I love salty food! I am going way way way over my sodium intake on a daily basis, because instead of sweets, I crave savory stuff. However, on the flip side, I drink tons of water so I'm hoping that helps to counteract it.

How much does everyone really track their sodium?

Thanks in advance!
Anita

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    The only reason I "track" it, is so that I can see when I'm going to retain water. If I have an unusually high amount of sodium one day than I know that the next day the scale is going to show a gain.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Sodium's pretty important when it comes to determining when you're holding water weight, or at least, it's a great indicator of it. But there's a whole host of health problems related to eating too much salt. It's something I would definitely work to bring a little lower. I haven't tried to look at your diary, but typically if you eat less processed food it's easier to keep your salt low while still enjoying savoury flavours.

I track mine for the opposite reason as most people though; I'm sodium deficient so it's important that I'm not dropping below 1500 a day.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    But contrary to what the topic says, I'm trying not to stress over it...

I love salty food! I am going way way way over my sodium intake on a daily basis, because instead of sweets, I crave savory stuff. However, on the flip side, I drink tons of water so I'm hoping that helps to counteract it.

How much does everyone really track their sodium?

Thanks in advance!
    Anita

You love it because you are used to it. Just as sugar, you need more to taste eventually.
    If you make an effort and at least stay below the recommended dose, you will get used to less salty taste. Then if you try to reduce it further you will be surprised how your taste buds awaken instead of needing all that sodium to make things taste well. You will be more sensitive to the taste of different foods. Try it for your health.
  • heidimmto
    heidimmto Posts: 52 Member
    I am having trouble with this too. I am trying to eat as clean as possible considering I eat cafeteria food. I'm a Graduate student on a scholarship and all that. If I avoid eating processed foods (aka sodium in the bulk), it usually means that I will also go without proteins. There's just so much eggs and beans a person can take and although I do not enjoy eating deli meats (I eat turkey most of the time), I think it's the best alternative rather than fried chicken and stuff like that. Am I wrong?

i have cut on refined carbs, sugar, and dairy, but sodium is still a problem. My dinner is usually juice made apples, celery, spinach, and carrots.

I exercise daily but limit myself to walking or using the elliptical. My last weigh in didn't reflect any weight loss. Am I already hitting a plateau?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    I drink plenty of water and take water pills. I swell more in MS than I ever did in Ohio
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    I track it due medicial reasons. Maybe if I had paid closer attention when I was younger I wouldn't have the issue. But hey thats just a guess.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    my dr makes me add salt to my diet b/c I have very low blood pressure and low sodium. maybe you crave it because you need it? perhaps talk to your dr and find out if he can recommend the amount that is right for you.
    :smile:

**ETA
    you might also want to try Mrs. Dash or another salt alternative if you really do need to cut back on real sodium. my mom is on a special low sodium diet due to heart issues, and she uses LOW SALT which tastes like regular salt but has half the sodium. it comes in a little container just like regular salt. she doesn't even need to use more of it to get the same flavor. just a suggestion.