working nights and struggling

Options
Hi I'm sort of new to these forums,my name is zack and 55 days a go I decided I need to do something about my body.I weighed 18 stone 1 and could bare the thought of it anymore.I have now dropped to 16 stone 8. My problem now is that I need to fit in more exercise I currently do about 2 hours a week tops.the main reason for this is I work 8pm to 8am and struggle to find time.anyone else been in this situation or any advice would be great.I'm just looking for help on when best to exercise? How they deal with sleep? And what times they eat?

Thanks for any advice given

Replies

• zack1st
    zack1st Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you for the reply,I Surpose I do struggle with the times of eating and guess that affects energy levels,I just find it hard after upto 12 hours of care work to then exercise
  • N0VV
    N0VV Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work 8pm to 8 am as well, such a struggle. You 100% have to work out on your days off, and the morning of your first night on before you get on a stretch, i usually take a rest day before my second night on because i'm way too tired.

And for nutrition, i am finding it hard. I tend to eat the unhealthiest food at work around 4am.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Zack you don't need to do more exercise. You just need to keep focused on improving what you eat and eating less calories. Focus all your efforts on your diet until you get down to a low weight. Don't stress. Stress is bad for diets.

Working nights is not great either for general health and wellbeing. But if that's your choice, well …

Honestly Zack, this is not just a personal opinion about the exercise. These days the word by researchers is that exercise is not required for weightless. You just eat more calories, or get sick of it and give up and then drop the ball on everything. I tend to do the latter myself.

They say that most long term successful weight losers have tended start exercise when they are close to reached their goal weight. If their goal was low they probably had to do it then to keep the from putting on weight again because most of us are aiming for a weight that's a bit lower than what our bodies are most comfortable at.

Anyway weight loss does not have to be hard. You do have to be organised, committed and willing to learn about embrace a new way of eating that is healthy and enjoyable.

if you want to increase you activity, the easiest way you could do it would be to buy a pedometer. These seem to motivate people to move more. I still haven't tried it but i am convinced they would work like that for some time but i wonder if people stop it after a while as well. You know the gizmo could be boring but anyway i think its worth a shot.

Its important to stay optimistic, focused, and get support from places like this.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The main thing you need to do is focus on eating at a calorie deficiency and meeting your macros (carbs, fat, protein). If you don't want to hit the gym then search online or YouTube for some at home exercises you could do with your body weight.
  • zack1st
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for the great reply,I work 10 nights on 4 nights off,this can be very hard on the exercise cause I seem to try and do loads on the 4 days I have to myself.

I do have a home gym that consists of a exercise bike,rower,some weights,a stepper and a boxing bag.I try to use these when I can!

Another problem is that I average 5-6 hours sleep does this affect weight loss?

And for the eating part I eat at 9am then 5pm then 10pm normally with a little snack at midnight is that bad?
  • zack1st
    Options
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for the great reply,I work 10 nights on 4 nights off,this can be very hard on the exercise cause I seem to try and do loads on the 4 days I have to myself.

I do have a home gym that consists of a exercise bike,rower,some weights,a stepper and a boxing bag.I try to use these when I can!

Another problem is that I average 5-6 hours sleep does this affect weight loss?

And for the eating part I eat at 9am then 5pm then 10pm normally with a little snack at midnight is that bad?

No it's not bad, timing of meals is irrelevant as long as you're happy with those timings.

Congrats on your weight loss so far
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    bring your own food and only eat what you bring. also, for workouts I make the most of it on my days off and get in as much as I can on my days off.
  • zack1st
    Options
    Is it more beneficial to lose a certain amount of weight then exercise to lose last amount of Weight?
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I work midnight-8 am. I normally get in a workout after I get off duty. I like to save my days off for things I have to get done because it's hard to do them when I work plus I believe in giving yourself a break. I eat when I get home from the gym which is normally around 9-10. I have lunch about 3 or 4, and I eat dinner when I get to work. I do a light snack in between lunch and dinner. I also do a light snack right before I go to the gym to make sure I don't bottom out.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do a workout say 6pm - Then shower at the gym and get to work for 8pm???
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Take the hour before or after work to hit the gym??
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Bump