how to calculate real BMI?

Options
i am 33 yr old male. with sneakers on,i am 6'0 and i weigh 216 pounds..my BMI is 29.3,which is overweight. now,without shoes on,i am 5'10 1/2 and i weight 214 lbs. and my BMI is 30.3,which is obese. all of my fat is in my middle. i am not big boned,i have skinny arms and legs. what should my real BMI be? i walk in shoes obviously and i list myself at 6'0. what should my healthy weight be for my height? i really want to lose my breast and stomach fat.

Replies

• Cher1e1n2
    Cher1e1n2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the weight you calculate is JUST YOU.. no shoes..

side note:: can you imagine the stilettos girls would get if it meant they could say they were skinny!
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    First off...if you have to count your shoes...you are not 6'0". My husband is (or at least WAS) 6'1" and he weighs probably 245-250 (he won't tell me). Now tell me who is obese???

The line between overweight and obese can be changed when you lose a couple of pounds or gain a couple.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would go with the without shoes calculation.

For example, I'm 5'4.5" without shoes on. I can give the illusion that I'm taller by putting on a pair of high heels, but I'm still 5'4.5" without them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Without shoes, or my BMI would change every time I put on a pair of heels.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 foot tall if I stand on a ladder.
  • cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1368420857880783.png
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    troll
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Go sans. clothing for all measurements, including when you weigh yourself. Personally, I am jot a fan of using BMI as an indicator for anything - it is only a ratio of mass and height. It doesn't factor into whether your mass is muscle or fat. bodybuilders for example have a large muscle mass but little fat mass but BMI will still peg them as obese.

Something to keep in mind...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. BMI is based on your own height and weight, not what shoes or clothes add. Also, BMI is not the end all be all of health and wellness. I am overweight according to a bmi chart (27.1). Every year at my employee health screening I laugh at the lady is mandated to offer me weight loss support information and suggest I see a dietitian and trainer. Don't get caught up in the number. I'm sure most people know whether or not they need to lose weight to be healthy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Your shoes each way a pound?

Isn't that a lot?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 10.

stilts.gif
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I thought I had to lose 10 lbs. to hit 'normal' BMI. Turns out all I have to do is tease my hair and wear heels! Yay! :drinker:
  • MrBill1234
    MrBill1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some would argue that the standard BMI formula is outdated. There is an interesting take on this by an Oxford University professor and he proposes a slightly modified BMI which takes height into consideration:

http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi.html
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Some would argue that the standard BMI formula is outdated. There is an interesting take on this by an Oxford University professor and he proposes a slightly modified BMI which takes height into consideration:

The standard BMI uses weight and height (squared)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am 33 yr old male. with sneakers on,i am 6'0 and i weigh 216 pounds..my BMI is 29.3,which is overweight. now,without shoes on,i am 5'10 1/2 and i weight 214 lbs. and my BMI is 30.3,which is obese. all of my fat is in my middle. i am not big boned,i have skinny arms and legs. what should my real BMI be? i walk in shoes obviously and i list myself at 6'0. what should my healthy weight be for my height? i really want to lose my breast and stomach fat.

:laugh:

really!?