To all the mommies, did your "loose skin" tighten up?

Options
So I'm a mother of 1 and I did a very poor job monitoring my weight when I was pregnant. I treated being pregnant and as a great excuse to eat whatever I wanted. As a result, I was 5'2 and almost 200 lbs. After I had my daughter I had that dreaded loose skin flab that just hangs there. I am starting to see real definition in my upper abs but what I want to know is when you are starting to lose weight and tone your abs does all of that loose skin tighten up and "look normal" I guess you could say? My mom said it will never be and that if I ever wanted my stomach to look normal id have to have a tummy tuck to get rid of the loose skin. I just find it hard to believe that all these mommies out there didn't have that loose skin after a baby and after working out and transforming, they went to get a tummy tuck lol. So does it tighten up or just doesn't go away unles you do a surgical procedure?

Replies

• naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    17 years later I still have some loose skin, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. Much like my grey hair, I earned it through hard work. ;)
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Some women's skin tightens back up, and some women don't. Mine, unfortunately, is very loose, but still better than it used to be.

You have to give it a while. It can take years to tighten if it will.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a child, so I am not speaking from experience.

But one tip I have is to lose the weight slowly. Whenever you see stories of people losing weight dramatically and quickly, there's always the issue of loose skin that comes after. In some cases, you need to have it surgically removed because it just won't tighten back up.

I would say to continue what you are doing, continue to do so slow and steady, and if your skin does not "bounce back" or remains loose, you may have to pursue surgical options to get rid of it.

Good luck!
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    THIS :)
    Um, mine definitely is getting better. I think a lot of it will go, you just need to reduce your fat down a lot first. I was 5'3" and 196 when my daughter was born (21months ago)., now I'm 129 and the skin is really tightening, it's just a lot loser than I'd have liked at this stage. Remember skin is 6months behind weight loss. So in 6 months your skin will be a lot tighter for this weight. If you lose more weight, it'll have to tighten further, but it's a slow process.
  • irishangeldw
    irishangeldw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty good my children and 30 and 34 years old and I am 52 , it is my legs I have a problem with
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things--age, total weight gain, baby size, genetics, etc. I'm 42 and I've had four children. The youngest is eight and I've been working on getting into shape (off and on a bit, due to multiple family medical issues) for about two years. Four large pregnancies in nine years (two of my babies were over 9 lbs) kind of trashed my stomach muscles. I've still got a flabby belly but it's better than it was. I am hoping for further improvement.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    In fairness, I think nursing made all the difference in the world as I had a friend who formula fed and ended up with a significant amount of loose skin, even though she returned to her previous weight/size.

100% formula-fed mommy that did not breastfeed a single time - with no loose skin and an almost flat tummy again. :drinker: It may help the uterus return to normal size more quickly in the beginning, but some women just can't bounce back completely post-birth, depending on weight/genetics/age/etc.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I had my 2d baby almost 2 yrs ago (10lb baby). I've lost over 50lbs and my stomach is slowly getting flatting and firmer. Here's a pic I took a few weeks ago. Getting there, it does happen but takes time.
    tummy_zps1dc169ec.jpg
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had twins in April of 1997 and had gained 27 pounds with the multiple pregnancy. By June, I was back to a size two and my stomach was completely back to before the pregnancy. Back then I was eating a plants based diet and walked several miles of hilly terrain a day. In December of 2000, I had my second son and while it was a very difficult birth, I again lost the twelve pounds gained and returned to a flat stomach within twelve weeks time. In December 2006, I had my fourth child and lost the twenty two gained and my stomach again flattened to it's original state. Unfortunately, since then I have gained 40 pounds and am struggling to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 117. In fairness, I think nursing made all the difference in the world as I had a friend who formula fed and ended up with a significant amount of loose skin, even though she returned to her previous weight/size. If you look at my profile pictures, there is one taken of me in a bikini at 8 months pregnant with my last child. This photo shows how healthy my skin looked after several pregnancies. So please don't worry too much and allow your body to catch up with the marathon it just completed. Also, a personal trainer told me that while women think they have loose skin after delivering it is usually simply fat that has yet to be lost. If this is the case, walking and good diet should carry you the rest of the way. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful daughter!

Goodness, Girl! Reading your post regarding your minimal weight gains during pregnancy (I gained 60 and 45, and they were both single births), I had to read your bio...kudos to wanting to be your very best 50! Also, my goal...and will hit this in December! I weighed in at 116lbs this morning-and that is with a 2lb gain over vacation! I will say that my tri-ceps are what really need work...

As far as the belly-after 2 c-sections, mine is a lost cause. I did seek the opinion of a surgeon, but decided I'd feel silly dying on the table-for vanity's sake. My solution has been to increase the squats (which really DO help both belly and bum) cut back on the carbs, and wear Ralph Lauren dresses with great side ruching; they make your figure (flawless or not) look uber amazing! :wink:

12029845.png
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
  • smittysgal7
    smittysgal7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just had my first baby in May so I'm currently working on post baby weight loss and dealing with skin. I've heard that exfoliating the places with loose skin helps. I use a sugar scrub every day.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have two children (ages 10 &12) and my stomach was just never the same. It does seem to be getting a little better as I lose weight, but I still have the small amount of loose skin that drives me up the wall.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You were my exact height and weight when my son was born 15 months ago. How did you get down to 125? Any tips? Im currently at 169 now but I want to get in the 130's
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My son is now 18. I had him at 20 and gained 50 lbs. I still have loose skin on my lower abs where the stretchmarks are. It's pretty tight when standing, but it has never fully tightened and never will. It certainly isn't awful, but it is there.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    THIS :)
    Um, mine definitely is getting better. I think a lot of it will go, you just need to reduce your fat down a lot first. I was 5'3" and 196 when my daughter was born (21months ago)., now I'm 129 and the skin is really tightening, it's just a lot loser than I'd have liked at this stage. Remember skin is 6months behind weight loss. So in 6 months your skin will be a lot tighter for this weight. If you lose more weight, it'll have to tighten further, but it's a slow process.

I was your exact height and weight when my son was born 15 months ago. I'm down to 169 now but want to be in the 130's. Any tips? How did you lose all that weight?
  • bebeblues
    bebeblues Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    8 wks PP and am wondering how it's going to go. This pregnancy was so different. I didn't show a ton with my first because I was a lot bigger in general. With my second I was smaller and showed significantly. He was also 1.5 lbs heavier than my first. I was going to "wrap" but couldn't afford one so here I am now. I am hoping that it will all eventually go back to something like normal. I don't mind the stretch marks, but the overhang has got to go.
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    17 years later I still have some loose skin, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. Much like my grey hair, I earned it through hard work. ;)
    I agree with her. I have stretch marks and loose skin. It has tightened up but will never be the same, nor should it! We created life that's pretty damn awesome! Having a baby and losing weight is NOT easy give yourself a high five!
  • sonyahadder42
    sonyahadder42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "As far as the belly-after 2 c-sections, mine is a lost cause. I did seek the opinion of a surgeon, but decided I'd feel silly dying on the table-for vanity's sake. My solution has been to increase the squats (which really DO help both belly and bum) cut back on the carbs, and wear Ralph Lauren dresses with great side ruching; they make your figure (flawless or not) look uber amazing! wink "

1st of all I love your attitude! :) But a question about your concerns about the surgery. Did the surgeon tell you something that caused the concern? Is it a risky surgery? Asking because I know at my age and the amount of "flap" that would be the only way to get rid of it. Been thinking hard about a tummy tuck as a reward once goal weight is accomplished but your comment kinda scared me. :laugh:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Mine did to a point, but the amount of elasticity in your skin and how much it snaps back is based on genetics, sorry.

You can absolutely minimize this, however. Lifting and eating well was the key to getting it as good as I could on my own. After I was done losing weight, I was left with a small "apron" on the very bottom of my belly. (I had to get to 16% BF, though, and it took time.) I had Diastasis recti and had to have my abdominal wall sewn back together, so the surgeon removed the extra skin while I was getting that done. No lipo, so it was pure loose skin without any excess fat under it, but it wouldn't have gone anywhere without surgery. (But it could be hidden, even in a bikini.)

Also, my surgeon said whenever he has a patient like me - with just a bit of a shelf left - it is always the same story. Lifting and diet gets the best results you can achieve without surgery. Best of luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!