dealing with social situations during diet

Options
I've been doing this diet thing for a little over a year now, largely due to just figuring out you really can't cut corners to get to your goal and that it take serious dedication to get there. Anyways the past 2 months i've done just that and I am super close to my goal at the cost of having no social life lol I've pretty much cut my friends out of my life.

Obviously I would not like that to be the case especially because summer is winding down and the school year is coming up which is when my little college town really gets exciting. plus I have a family vacation coming up which really scares me so i'd like some advice on how to deal with certain social situations, hanging out with friends, family gatherings etc. in which you might be tempted or even feel obligated to cheat on your diet.

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Aw! Don't lose you friends over your diet! I have a little trouble around my boyfriend because he wants to eat stuffed manicotti and drink beer...So, I do it :) I portion it and try to log it without being psychotic about it.

As far as the vacation goes-I took my first the year, and it was a cruise with FREE FOOD 24/7. I set MFP to maintenance just to get an idea of how many calories I should consume. I worked out 5 days a week and tried to do a lot of circuit training at the gym on the ship. I ate salmon and from the health menu a few nights but also had dessert and wine every night. Not a single pound gained! Just keep burning calories. Fill yourself up with vegetables and drink in moderation. You can do it! Enjoy your family and food and life.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't want to lose friends over something that should be a life change, not a "diet". If you've been doing this for a year now than you have awareness down, and thats what this is about; being aware and making good choices. It doesn't mean giving up life or vacations.
    Wish you the best vacation!
  • kevinfishers
    Options
    damn haha free food 24/7 I would want to jump off that ship, so tempting thanks for the advice! I'm definitely reaching out to my friends more now and my vacation is a camping trip so I'm hoping to compensate a little over eating with some good hiking, swimming and mountain biking.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Never stop drinking no matter what! Booze = Happiness!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    damn haha free food 24/7 I would want to jump off that ship, so tempting thanks for the advice! I'm definitely reaching out to my friends more now and my vacation is a camping trip so I'm hoping to compensate a little over eating with some good hiking, swimming and mountain biking.

Yes! Those activities will definitely help you be able to have some drinks and cake.

On the cruise I also had a little game. If the food was healthy, I ate eat it all. Otherwise, if it was bad I didn't eat it. If it was okay I'd eat some of it. If it was amazing I'd it it all. I'd also do things like...if there was a hot dog and nachos in front of me and I couldn't resist the nachos, I'd take the bun off the hot dog and smash it up so I wouldn't even be tempted to eat it...then eat a few nachos. So weird but...didn't gain a pound so whatever.