Importance of fats in ketosis/atkins/low carb diet

Options
I know that the most important thing about the above 3 diet plans is restricting carbs/calories but some people disagree on what your fat to protein ratio is supposed to be but for me personally I notice that if I am meticulous about getting a large amount of fats in my meals on a given day I feel way more full and less tempted to snack than if I got the same amount of fat and protein, anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago I started looking into low carb diets and all my research came back with healthy fats = good, sugar = evil. I completely changed my mindset and disregarded everything the media has ever told me about fat. Ditched the low fat products and have substituted the majority of my carbs for fat and I've never felt better and I've even lost weight when nothing else would work. It was scary at first and felt so wrong but like you say, fat fills you up for longer and I so rarely get the urge to binge on junk these days!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's a limit to how much protein the body uses for repair & building, and more than 35% of calories as protein is often labelled "excessive protein intake".

IF taking 40% of calories out of the diet in the form of carbohydrates then they have to be replaced at least in part, and fat is the thing to replace them with. A low carb high fat diet isn't the same as medium carb / medium fat or low carb / high protein (Dukan).