Talk about a push to succeed. No pressure!!!

Options
Hello MFP's,

My name's Sherrell. I'm 25. Currently living in Austin, TX. Attend Texas State University and majoring in Nursing. No children. Not married.

So where to start....

Well, I've always been a fluffy gal growing up and it never seemed to bother me but I did always wonder how awesome a smaller version of me would look. I was a very active individual in Jr. High and High School but after I graduated I didn't have any sport activities to do, so that's when I seemed to let myself go and go and go.

Now I'm at a whopping 289 lbs. (started my journey at 294 lbs) and standing at 5'8" . The reasons that I started on this journey was the aches and pains I have in my feet, knees, back, and other places I never knew I could have aches and pains (which I shouldn't have at all at the young age of 25). I also have been asked to be a bridesmaid at my best friends wedding (which will be in Oct. 2015) and I refuse to be the only fluffy gal in pictures, so this would be the perfect opportunity to come out with a bang at the end of it all! The last reason, I'm a bit afraid of my image being the reason I don't receive the job that I would like to have after I graduate from college. As a future nurse, I do believe that employers expect me or anyone for that matter going into the healthcare field to practice what they preach...if I don't look the part I won't get the part, is how I feel.

So far so good on this journey but my biggest struggle I believe will be eating right, breaking the habit of feeling like snacking all the time, and also craving sweets. If anyone has any suggestions or advice about how to handle these struggles of mine or what you've done to overcome the same issues please let me know!!!

Well, until next time MFP's, keep pushing the limits. I'm sending you much love and big hugs!!!! - Sherrell (a.k.a. Rellsher)

Replies

• Kenzoeee
    Kenzoeee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Super motivating!!!!! :flowerforyou:
    I'm in school to be a surgical tech and I feel the same way! I know you can do this!!! GO RELLSHER!! :drinker:
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherrell! You can totally do this! Feel free to add me for encouragement :)
  • oystercatcher3944
    Options
    Hey Rellsher/Sherrell! I too struggle with wanting to snack all the time, and I'm still very much in the middle of figuring it all out. So far, I've tried replacing the chips/crackers that I want to snack on with stuff like cut up vegetables and fruit. I can still snack, I just have to snack...differently. I think that has helped me quite a bit. It feels easier psychologically to know that I *can* snack if I need/want to instead of whiteknuckling down and only eating three times a day.

Thanks for the add! Looking forward to getting to our goals together!
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The sugar thing really got (gets) me. Read "The Sugar Diet" published by Rodale on prevention.com (Prevention magazine website). Really helps you understand what's going on and how to get a grip on it.

You are so right about the image. People (including health care providers) are quite heavy in this part of the country and it is very difficult for me to give them ANY credit on issues involved with weight control and nutrition. So have done this pretty much on my own. Didn't have lots of weight to lose so it worked but their response was "Why do you want to lose weight, get fit-you look great!". For here I was one of the more thin people but still had back problems and poor stats. So did it with MFP and getting fitness information on the web.

Keep it up! We support you!
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hey Rellsher/Sherrell! I too struggle with wanting to snack all the time, and I'm still very much in the middle of figuring it all out. So far, I've tried replacing the chips/crackers that I want to snack on with stuff like cut up vegetables and fruit. I can still snack, I just have to snack...differently. I think that has helped me quite a bit. It feels easier psychologically to know that I *can* snack if I need/want to instead of whiteknuckling down and only eating three times a day.

This is the best advice. It's way easier to change your snack than to remove snacking all together
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    For myself, the first month or three were both the easiest and the hardest. When you start from a higher weight, even little changes (30 minute walk every day, cutting out soda, not eating after a certain time [although that's not necessary, it just helped me, personally], eating more raw fruits and veggies, etc.) will give you BIG results. Making those changes and really exercising will power was probably the hardest. If you're a real hardass on yourself in the first 1-3 months and establish those good habits, I promise it becomes easier (and more like everyday life, not like exercising will power) down the road.

My biggest advice, from back when I started this 5-6 years ago:

-Drink way more water than you think necessary
    -Drink two glasses of water before / during each meal
    -Eat two raw fruits or raw veggies or one of each BEFORE a meal, so you get full before you start eating the "bad stuff"
    -Eat more whole foods (not processed stuff like chips, crackers, bagels, soda, candy bars, cookies, cake, etc.)
    -Force yourself to exercise EVERY DAY, even if it's just 30 minutes of walking (but, by all means, get more intense if you like), even if it means waking up early
    -STRETCH! Before and/or after workouts. When I was a lot bigger, stretching really helped me avoid injuries early on and just feel better in my body as it transformed

People will tell you these things are not necessary and they are not. You can lose weight eating butter and not exercising, as long as it's under your calorie goal. I just found these things to help me lose weight more quickly, feel more full, feel more satisfied with myself physically and my level of fitness.

As for motivation, you already got that in the bag. You're going to look smoking as a bridesmaid AND a nurse ("Heeeeelloooooo, nurse!"). Back when I was 275 lb., I thought getting to where I am now was impossible. I literally thought I could not do it. It took time (and a lot of encouragement from my wife, bless her [see profile pic for level of importance in my life]), so don't worry if results aren't immediate. The most important thing is being consistent. If you screw up one day, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! Just get back on the horse, count those calories, give yourself credit for exercise, and be proud of yourself for deciding to make this change.

GET IT, GURRRRL!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options

This is the best advice. It's way easier to change your snack than to remove snacking all together

VERY TRUE. I still snack, and I actually think it helps with the weight loss. Since my snacks are still flavorful, but not crazy in calories.

If you like Ice Cream, have Ice cream. I cant do with out it. So I get the no sugar added, and have the actual 1 serving. It's only 100 calories, but it satisfies the craving. Or make a tasty smoothie.

If you want the chips, get them. Try the baked ones, they are typically better for you calorie wise.

The biggest issue isn't going to be giving up the snacks, it's going to be giving up eating all the snacks. It took a good while to get use to only have 1 serving of something. Portion control is the tough part. I suggest a small kitchen scale if you don't have one. I weigh almost everything I make at home. It helps knowing exactly what you will be consuming calorie wise.

I was probably eating well over 3000 calories per day, maybe close to 4000 when I was at my heaviest. If I wanted something I ate it, regardless of any consequence. Now I am happy to be eating around 1600 per day with a night time snack. It can be done, just has to become habit. You will do awesome! just give it the time, baby steps.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sherrell, great post. I agree with you on the points about job opportunities and perception. I know, I didn't get hired for positions because of my weight. I don't know what type of nursing program you are in, but some around here guarantee you employment because they pay for your education and you have to work it off. Now, I never looked to see whether they discriminate when it comes to weight when getting into the program. That's interesting.

You are going to look awesome for this wedding. You're giving yourself time which when it comes to weddings almost never happens.

As for people not taking advice from you in the medical field because of your weight. That happens when skinny people try to tell overweight people what they should do. We overweight people tend to feel that they have no idea of the struggle we go through. Take pics of yourself now, because when that time comes and you are that perfect size person, you can whip out the pic and say: "I've been there. I know."

Best of luck on your journey. If you would like to add me as a friend, please do so.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I love that you call yourself "fluffy" and not fat! anyway I am a big snacker too. I like to snack mostly after dinner while watching tv. feel free to add me as we are all in this together
  • Rellsher
    Rellsher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Super motivating!!!!! :flowerforyou:
    I'm in school to be a surgical tech and I feel the same way! I know you can do this!!! GO RELLSHER!! :drinker:

SURGICAL TECH IN THE HOUSE whoot whoot lol. Thanks so much for cheering me on and also making me feel welcomed! See ya around Kenzzz :D
  • Rellsher
    Options
    Hi Sherrell! You can totally do this! Feel free to add me for encouragement :)

Thanks for the encouragement and I will definitely be adding you friend! Virtual high five :happy:
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You got this!

I'm pretty new here, as well, and trying to figure it all out. I'm looking for friends that have like goals and are willing to be a positive influence in the process!

Add me as a friend if you like. The more we can encourage, the more we'll get through the psychological stuff and the physical stuff will begin to fall in place.
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For myself, the first month or three were both the easiest and the hardest. When you start from a higher weight, even little changes (30 minute walk every day, cutting out soda, not eating after a certain time [although that's not necessary, it just helped me, personally], eating more raw fruits and veggies, etc.) will give you BIG results. Making those changes and really exercising will power was probably the hardest. If you're a real hardass on yourself in the first 1-3 months and establish those good habits, I promise it becomes easier (and more like everyday life, not like exercising will power) down the road.

-Eat two raw fruits or raw veggies or one of each BEFORE a meal, so you get full before you start eating the "bad stuff"
    -Eat more whole foods (not processed stuff like chips, crackers, bagels, soda, candy bars, cookies, cake, etc.)
    -Force yourself to exercise EVERY DAY, even if it's just 30 minutes of walking (but, by all means, get more intense if you like), even if it means waking up early
    -STRETCH! Before and/or after workouts. When I was a lot bigger, stretching really helped me avoid injuries early on and just feel better in my body as it transformed

People will tell you these things are not necessary and they are not. You can lose weight eating butter and not exercising, as long as it's under your calorie goal. I just found these things to help me lose weight more quickly, feel more full, feel more satisfied with myself physically and my level of fitness.

As for motivation, you already got that in the bag. You're going to look smoking as a bridesmaid AND a nurse ("Heeeeelloooooo, nurse!"). Back when I was 275 lb., I thought getting to where I am now was impossible. I literally thought I could not do it. It took time (and a lot of encouragement from my wife, bless her [see profile pic for level of importance in my life]), so don't worry if results aren't immediate. The most important thing is being consistent. If you screw up one day, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! Just get back on the horse, count those calories, give yourself credit for exercise, and be proud of yourself for deciding to make this change.

GET IT, GURRRRL!

Thanks for all the great advice. I know it wasn't directed at me, but the changes you listed here I should be able to do without over thinking the whole process!
  • Rellsher
    Options

Thanks so much for the great advice. I'll put these ideas to action soon and see how it all goes! Thanks again and I'll see ya around!!
  • Rellsher
    Options
    The sugar thing really got (gets) me. Read "The Sugar Diet" published by Rodale on prevention.com (Prevention magazine website). Really helps you understand what's going on and how to get a grip on it.

You are so right about the image. People (including health care providers) are quite heavy in this part of the country and it is very difficult for me to give them ANY credit on issues involved with weight control and nutrition. So have done this pretty much on my own. Didn't have lots of weight to lose so it worked but their response was "Why do you want to lose weight, get fit-you look great!". For here I was one of the more thin people but still had back problems and poor stats. So did it with MFP and getting fitness information on the web.

Keep it up! We support you!

Thanks so much for the article of reading you've recommended, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks again and I'll see ya around!
  • Rellsher
    Options

Thumbs Up!!!!
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hey, i'm cece :) we have pretty close starting weights. . .weight loss twins! haha :)
    friend request sent :)
  • Rellsher
    Options

GET IT, GURRRRL!

Wow....thanks for all the great advice I appreciate all of it and I will definitely be trying these!!! I'm also loving your vibe, it's a very fun energy....and I am going to look sexy aren't I lol (I know you said smoking...I just had to modify it a bit lol)

Also, I've learned that "ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD" over time and it's really nice to hear that this journey is a possible one!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me and I'll see ya around!!!
  • Rellsher
    Options

VERY TRUE. I still snack, and I actually think it helps with the weight loss. Since my snacks are still flavorful, but not crazy in calories.

If you like Ice Cream, have Ice cream. I cant do with out it. So I get the no sugar added, and have the actual 1 serving. It's only 100 calories, but it satisfies the craving. Or make a tasty smoothie.

If you want the chips, get them. Try the baked ones, they are typically better for you calorie wise.

The biggest issue isn't going to be giving up the snacks, it's going to be giving up eating all the snacks. It took a good while to get use to only have 1 serving of something. Portion control is the tough part. I suggest a small kitchen scale if you don't have one. I weigh almost everything I make at home. It helps knowing exactly what you will be consuming calorie wise.

I was probably eating well over 3000 calories per day, maybe close to 4000 when I was at my heaviest. If I wanted something I ate it, regardless of any consequence. Now I am happy to be eating around 1600 per day with a night time snack. It can be done, just has to become habit. You will do awesome! just give it the time, baby steps.

This is all so true. I do know for a fact the thought of portion control was something I never thought about. I'd eat about 3000 to 4000 calories a day....sad really....but I'm learning and that's what it's all about. Thanks so much for the encouraging words and also sharing some great advice....see ya around and keep pushing those limits!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find lots of support on MFP.

Like you, I'm a snacker by nature. I eat smaller meals so I can snack. My favorite snacks are carrots and celery with hummus, an apple with peanut butter, a granola or atkins bar, a frozen fruit juice bar, popcorn and an occasional soda.

I've lost just over 100 pounds...but for the past year haven't lost hardly anything and I've got another 100 or so to go! I've recently changed my ticker to just a chunk of what I have left to lose - the entire amount is daunting - and changed up my eating habits to put some of those snacks back into my eating plan. It's too early to see what it's going to do to the scales - but I sure feel better.

You can do this - and you've got over a year to be the fittest bridesmaid! Best of luck~