Being overweight and cancer

Options
I can't believe it. Standing 5 foot 6 tall and weighing 82 kg, I never considered myself as extremely big or at risk for any diseases. That was until this morning. In an article of the Daily mail I read:

'Carrying an extra two stones in weight over and above the ‘healthy’ range was clearly linked with higher risk of some cancers, and the risk went up with further weight gain'

I can't believe it. I had to recalculate how much a stone was precisely (6.35 kg approx.) and realized this was about the amount I carry extra on my. Now I have the fortune to carry it all around my midriff as well, not only after my pregnancies but also before. it is just this way I was build.
Never imagined in my life that I would be the one people refer to as: carrying so much extra weight it becomes a health risk. I always thought this was reserved for those who have love handles you can lift them up with, who have behinds you can put a tray on and belly's that hang over their private parts.

Shocked and even more serious as ever to tackle this plateau I am stuck on for the past 2 weeks. I will beat this!!!

Replies

• ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Those are just statistics.

Unfortunately, one of the loveliest people I know, a young mam, tall and slender, was told 3 weeks ago that her cancer has returned.
    And a few months ago, our very sportive neighbour disappeared from our regular street view, running daily, often with her kids accompanying her on their bicycle. She too is now fighting this disease.

Who knows why some are so unfortunate, and why some are not. I just know it's been affecting too many people I know of late, and I just feel very lucky not to have been hit with it so far.
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's the Daily Fail, they are not exactly known for the quality of their science reporting (or for quality journalism in general).
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    These are not JUST statistics. The statistics show that if you carry significant extra weight, you are at a greater risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke.

Yes i also know skinny people who've died of cancer. There are other factors aside from weight. The cancers in question i understand are breast, prostate and colon cancer and probably some others. It seems to be well established.

Anyway yes lose weight you will feel so much better.

CHeck out the tv video eat fast and live longer. its on you tube. Take up fasting to lose weight and reduce your risk of these diseases. But unlike in the video where he says you can eat whatever you want on fasting days, if you find you're weight loss slowing, you will find it a good idea to reduce your calories as well. There's a 5:2 fasting group on this site. Join them.

Or try low carb. Read one of the atkins diet books and the art and science of low carb to allay any fears you may have about eating a lot of fat but also atkins shows you how to do it. Its quite a fun diet but its risky to come off suddenly. I just went through it. Now i'm going to go by the fasting diet for a while.

That said i lost all my weight with no exercise, just eating three healthy meals a day for the most part.

keep a food diary. Join our support group called 3fc pals. we are a new group and i do most of the talking because i have the most free time and spend a lot of it on the computer.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    It's the Daily Fail, they are not exactly known for the quality of their science reporting (or for quality journalism in general).

Does that mean that the report doesn't hold merit?
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    These are not JUST statistics. The statistics show that if you carry significant extra weight, you are at a greater risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke.

Pattience, off course you are right. But now that 5 people I know have been diagnosed in the past few months, and only one of them being overweight, one of them being a small child. It just seems very random to me right now.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There are entire Tumblrs dedicated to things that Daily Fail says will give you cancer. They are both extensive and contradictory.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The point is that its not only the daily mail that is saying this.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's epidemiology, so the results could be described as "We took a large group of people and split them up into smaller groups based on BMI and found that the highest BMI group had more cancers"

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/08/13/obesity-and-cancer-adding-more-weight-to-the-evidence/