Snow Shoveling Workout!

WhyNot2010
WhyNot2010 Posts: 37
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
It that frigid time of the year again and for me a majority of it will be spent in lovely Erie, PA. I have decided to ebrace the snow, and got a job with grounds crew as a student snow shoveler. It is paying off! I get paid (minimum wage sadly, but eh its money) and as I am finding out snow shoveling burns alot of calories! Especially when I am out there for over and hour doing this stuff! The only down turn is the early wake up calls and the wind.
Eh... its a good winter workout!

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    I've seen other members that have used shoveling snow as their exercise and you are right-it burns a LOT of calories. I'm kinda jealous. I'd love to shovel snow at least once but I live in Texas. IF we ever see snow, it melts before it hits the ground.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Now that's being resourceful!!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    talk about killing 2 birds with one stone!! Great job!! :bigsmile:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Here in our part of western NY we got over 3 feet of snow last Thursday and another 6-8 inches yesterday. We get what is called "Lake Effect Snow" where the air picks up the moisture as it crosses over the lake which is still relatively warm(not frozen) and then drops as snow as the air cools over the land to the southeast. The storm last Thursday produced a band of snow about 12 miles wide. We just happened to be smack in the middle of that band. If you drove just a few miles away, the grass was still green, while we were smothered in snow. The snow blower does most of the snow removal, but I need to shovel my deck so that the dog can get out and I cleaned up what remained on the apron of the driveway after the plow came down AFTER my husband finished snow blowing. I figured that was good for burning a few calories! Generally if there just a few inches of fluffy snow, I don't mind shoveling.
This discussion has been closed.