Truths About Gaining Muscle by Suzanne Germano

SarahNicole317
SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Thought this might help clear up some misconceptions... it refers to competing, but can be applied to anyone trying to gain muscle.

Truths About Gaining Muscle by Suzanne Germano

I thought it was time to get real on what are achievable goals with gaining muscle

Muscle gain is a long term process with hard work and dedication

You cannot gain 5lbs of muscle in a month! Maybe you can if you were to choose HIGHLY androgenic drugs that I as a top National level BBing competitor would NEVER consider using.

You cannot gain 6-10lbs of muscle in 12 weeks while losing 20lbs for a show. If you are being told you can it may be time to really question your coach/trainer/nutritionist

When your wt goes up 1-2 wks after a show and you bf doesn't go up much and you are told you gained 5-6 lbs of muscle that is not the case it is glycogen/water

LBM is everything except fat so its bone, muscle, water, glycogen, the food still in your intestines etc So if you do a bf test and get lbm increase it isn't necessarily muscle. Not to mention these test are so far off not even funny

I know the way I am writing this sounds *****y but one I tend to make things quick and to the point. Two I hate typing a bunch and 3 too much typing hurts my wrist and forearm so short and maybe not so sweet it is, sorry. And i have a headache lol

I took over a full year off to gain 10-15lbs muscle probably gained it in the later 8 the beginning were were fixing my f-up metab and trying to drop bf. That was with never missing a WO busting my a** every single WO and following my plan 100%

This doesn't happen over nite

If you are competing 3,4 ,5 times a year you will not be able to improve year to year. Each time you diet it is inevitable there will be some muscle loss especially with the diets and cardio i see most people do.

If you really want to be a competitor with more muscle take time off and build the body you want then go back to competing. Shows will always be there.

I realize peoples reasons for competing differ. But if someone actually wants to make the improvements, they have to realize the time and effort required.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    good post!
  • Great post.

Just a question.. Or a thought more so. Wouldn't it be easier for a guy to gain more than 10 or 15 pounds of muscle in a year? Or was this post referring to just woman who compete? Testosterone levels in woman make it more difficult to gain muscle correct?
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Great post.

Just a question.. Or a thought more so. Wouldn't it be easier for a guy to gain more than 10 or 15 pounds of muscle in a year? Or was this post referring to just woman who compete? Testosterone levels in woman make it more difficult to gain muscle correct?

Yes, testosterone levels are significantly different. It would be easier for a male to gain that much muscle and more likely... I would feel confident saying a male can gain 1.5-2 lbs of muscle per month, if all variables are where they need to be (workouts, nutrition, sleep, supplements).
  • Great post.

Yes, testosterone levels are significantly different. It would be easier for a male to gain that much muscle and more likely... I would feel confident saying a male can gain 1.5-2 lbs of muscle per month, if all variables are where they need to be (workouts, nutrition, sleep, supplements).

Thanks for clearing it up. I was just curious!
This discussion has been closed.