working out with wieghted vests and wraps on your ankles and

seana22
seana22 Posts: 14
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
i was just wondering if working out with wieghted vests and wraps on your ankles and wrists are good or bad?

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    I'm sure they are fine providing you are able to keep the right form with them on. I kickboxed with wrist weights had the wrong form and tore a ligament in my chest. It's been two years and it's never been right so be careful. I would suggest some days cardio, some days weight train to be safer.
  • Things like ankle weights and aerobic exercises are a bad idea. They usually lead to excess strain on your joints and can tear ligaments. Using ankle weights for resistance training (like leg lifts) are okay.

However, if you want to strengthen your muscles, just lift weights. ;)
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    I remember my gym teacher back in elementary school used to tell us all the time that such things were really bad for you and could permanently screw up your tendons and ligaments. He showed us a video once where they made the weights glow in the dark and the person was running, and it showed how the weights made the person's angels wobble unnaturally.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Weighted vests are used extensively in sport training as they can increase the resistance in various functional exercises without interfereing with the basic postures and mechanics of the body.

Ex: Power training with Uphill/Stair sprints while wearing a weighted vest., Single Leg Squats and Stability Board exercises can easily be enhanced with a weighted vest.

Ankle/Wrist weights would put more strain on the joints and can lead to poor form and excess stress. That being said, I've used ankle weights when rec skating/blading so that my legs have to work harder, but that was simply straight-line endurance skating where form and technique are essential.
This discussion has been closed.