Healthier eating not working!

Options
I have been sticking to logging on MFP for the last month but don't seem to be losing any weight. I am allowed 1200 cals daily and stick to it, and am exercising 3x a week (cardio at gym, 30-45mins). I am aiming to lose a stone, to get back to my summer size.
I have to admit I drink a lot of milk, like to snack on toast, have a weakness for mash and pasta and dont eat many veggies! I do stick to calories but I think maybe I need to alter the kinds of foods I am eating. Should I try and cut out/cut down on carbs? The only meat I tend to eat is skinless chicken breast, cod and low fat sausages... Am also feeling quite bloated all the Welcome any suggestions at all! I am used to exercising a lot lot more but just don't have the time at the moment.

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. Try cutting out so many carbs and up the protein a bit Also, add some weight training to your exercise routine rather then all cardio.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too struggle with this... what I found was up the workouts, both strenght training and cardio as well as change the foods Im eating. I noticed a dif right way, its just sticking to that. I exercise at least 5 days a week and try to stick to the calorie restriction but found it really helpful to watch the sodium intake and the RiGhT carbs ie only whole wheat/whole grain, no starchy potatoes, whole wheat whole grain oatmeal/cereals and rice etc. yes the cal does count when you get down to losing 10-20 pds... my opinion:) MoRe veggies and fruit for sure:) good luck!
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You just need to eat your fresh food! Include lots of veggies and fruits! From what you are saying you might be eating too many carbs?
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was always taught, work out 3x to maintain, but if you want to lose, then work out 4-5x a week. Try stepping up your workouts and see if you start losing.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think you may be eating too many carbohydrates. Cut back on those and as much sugar as possible. If you have to eat bread, make it whole grain. Increase your protein. Get friendly with veggies. Lay off the milk and replace with skim. Drinks lots of water. Lots and lots and lots of water! :drinker:

Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    pastas not your friend in weight loss........I used to have it 3 - 6 time s a week and notcied that I started slowing down on weight loss.....cut it out to once a week, and BINGO, its coming off , Im not an expert on nutrition, only telling you how I lost my weight.

that and lots and lots and lots of fruits and vegetables...........that and tons of water, and some protein, and youre going to be the belle of the ball..........Best wishes.........Lloyd
  • jaymeec75
    Options
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/why-guys-lose-weight-faster-women-and-how-steal-their-secrets

Someone else posted a link to this article a few days ago on these message boards. I found it helpful.
    Cut back on carbs and sodium too, thats always helpful!
  • Alexis2255
    Options
    too many carbs and starches, my dear! Veggies all the way. Maybe try turnip/parsnips. they are filling and when you put them in soup, they always trick my hubby because he thinks they are potatos!

If you love the potatos, try red-skin potatos. They have an easier metabolized starch than white/yellow potatos. But, try really hard to find a veggie you like. Even if you have to eat the same one every day because it's the only one you like. Just get them in there! Or how about mixed salad with lettuce and cut up veggies? It will also be less work at meal time
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 enough for you? Do you aim to lose more than 1lbs a week?
    Do you eat your exercise calories? You made it sound like you don't.
  • oracle730
    Options
    When you track your food, calories are not the only consideration you should have. (BUT...portion size is the KEY...if you are not careful with portion/serving size, you can really go off track!) If you go to the "FOOD" tab at the top and click on the "SETTINGS" tab, it gives you the option of tracking fat, carbs, protein, sugar, sodium, etc. I suggest that you try to keep the carbs and fat within the range suggested. If you go over on protein and fiber, that is not such a big deal. Also, the sodium tracker is a good tool. Too much salt can make you retain water (adding pounds). I'm not an expert by any means...this is just my method. :flowerforyou:
  • littlehobbit123
    Options
    Thanks for there replies!

I only drink skimmed milk already but think I need to drink less. WIll definatly cut down on carbs - does this include potatoes? Should I perhaps try more meals with protein such as chicken/fish, with veggies opposed to potato/rice? I do tend to eat sweet potato mash rather than normal potatoes, are these better?

Alantin 1200 is what MFP suggested, and I usually eat about half my exercise calories.

I may buy those huge bags of frozen peas/sweetcorn/carrots and put them with everything, only veggies I really like!

Would yoghurts make a better snack replacement to toast? Perhaps the Muller Light yog pots?
  • oracle730
    Options
    I have been snacking on frozen yogurt...tastes just like ice cream! Yummy! However, you only get 1/2 cup per serving. I use a measuring cup to measure and I eat it right out of the cup. It is usually only about 100 to 120 calories per serving (depending on the kind you get).

As far as sweet potatoes, they are more calories than regular potatoes but they have more nutrients and fiber. I hate to say it, but the sweet peas and corn are not that great either...the corn is not great because it does not offer much nutrition and it's hard to digest...the peas have a good bit of carbs but they are better than the corn (I think).

Also, for those saying that you should eat more fruit, fruit has carbs as well. Just do some research to find the fruits that have less and stick with those.

Good luck!:smile:
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Thanks for there replies!

I only drink skimmed milk already but think I need to drink less. WIll definatly cut down on carbs - does this include potatoes? Should I perhaps try more meals with protein such as chicken/fish, with veggies opposed to potato/rice? I do tend to eat sweet potato mash rather than normal potatoes, are these better?

Alantin 1200 is what MFP suggested, and I usually eat about half my exercise calories.

I may buy those huge bags of frozen peas/sweetcorn/carrots and put them with everything, only veggies I really like!

Would yoghurts make a better snack replacement to toast? Perhaps the Muller Light yog pots?

I think you probably need to increase how much your eating. What are your measurements? Height and weight? Cutting out carbs won't hurt. But it isn't easy. Look at my food dairy. For the past 9 Days, I've been eating the same exact things. All while staying around 115 carbs a day. About 25% of my daily carbs. It may give you an idea or some lower carb foods.
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I found I had to go in and do a custom adjustment to drop my carbs and up my protein. It helped.
  • littlehobbit123
    Options
    I think you probably need to increase how much your eating. What are your measurements? Height and weight? Cutting out carbs won't hurt.

I'm 5ft and 127lbs. This time last year i was 102lbs :S

I think I'm going to try cutting out carbs - or at least pasta/potatoes etc.!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    ok I see, with those mesurement, you need to eat all you exercice cals. You can't be under 1200 NET ...please notice the NET. Add also resistance training. It will help.

Good luck
  • littlehobbit123
    Options
    Ok thanks - when I am at uni I go to the gym so know roughly how many calories I've used.. however at home I work with/ride horses, so have absoloutley not idea how many I'm using! Should I be eating a bit more on top of my 1200 cals to accomodate this?