Gluten sensitivity+thyroid disease?

Options
kgeer31
kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
I'm recently embarking on an experimental lifestyle as advised by my orthopedic surgeon. I have autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's) and tend to run hypo if anything. I have had 4 total knee arthroscopies and severe osteoarthritis in both knees and starting in both hips...I am 35. My surgeon has been looking into the effects of sugar, gluten, and dairy on joint health with some very surprising and inspiring results. He has recommended an "elimination" diet including the above food categories and after only 1 week I am seeing improvement. I have been tested for RA, gout, celiac, and numerous allergy testing in general (only positive for avocado) all which have been negative. I'm looking for people who may fall into the same category as me as I know I'm not alone, but new in this grouping--gluten sensitivity+thyroid disease+arthritis. Also, if you fall into any of those categories alone, Id love to friend you as diet plays a huge part in all of them even separately.

Replies

• Christina_V85
    Christina_V85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I have two autoimmune diseases one called Dermatitis herpetiformis (gluten sensitivity) and Graves disease (hyperthyroid). Luckily, my Graves was caught early on, but it made it really difficult to lose weight because the medication I was give slowed down my metabolism and I was (still am) obese. I truly thought I was cursed, lol. I have been gluten free for 3 years now and it gets easier with time. However I do not follow a dairy free diet. Anyway, I'll send you a friend request and I hope we can be friends and share ideas and motivate each other. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
    Christina