When your body doesn't cooperate

Options
I thought I had a pretty good week this week. I admit, I'm not the healthiest eater but I stayed under my calorie and carb goal every day but am up 2 lbs this week. I've drank plenty of water and weigh and measure everything.

I'll stick with it and probably lose those 2 lbs next week but then that's 2 weeks with no loss. So frustrating!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There are alot of things that can mask weight loss, or even show a gain on the scale.

Sodium, increased exercise, ovulation, period, sunburn, illness....

The list could go on. Give it time. It can take 4-6 weeks to see change. If you still don't see change after that time, then you should reassess your calories/intake/accuracy.
  • LovelyValentina
    Options
    Have your measurements changed at all? Also, if you haven't already considered this - do you do any strength exercises? The gain could be muscle mass.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No change in measurements and no strength training. Just an off week I guess. Disappointing.
  • BadDog3135
    BadDog3135 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I second Ninkyou - there are so many things that can mask your true weight. In fact, my current operating assumption is that we hardly ever know our "true" weight. I came to this realization after doing a 3-day detox/cleanse. Now THAT was probably as close as I will ever get to knowing my "true" or "empty" weight. Everything else is just best guess.

That said, there are things you can do to help you get a consistent measurement, if you're not doing them already. Things like taking your weight at the same time of day and under the same conditions. As an example, I like to take my weight first thing in the morning after the bathroom but before I eat/drink anything.

If you're already taking steps to control the conditions under which you measure yourself, then just chalk it up to an off week. We all have those disappointing weeks. Just keep the faith, fight the good fight, and stay under your calorie limit. Everything else will work itself out! :smile:
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I weigh under the same conditions, just wish I could figure it out so I could make changes if I need to and not waste time.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for ninety days. At least five of those weeks I lost nothing or gained. But overall, I've lost 1.5 pounds per week, right on schedule. Give it time, it'll work itself out. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, this is week three for me with no loss and I'm meticulous as well. It's very frustrating, but I'm told patience is key, so patience it is!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    How's your sodium intake? I was surprised at how much weight I could gain if my sodium was high or on the high side. It's water weight. If high, drink lots more water and/or cut back on sodium and the weight should start coming off within a few days.
    Weight loss isn't linear but if you look at an average over time, you'll see the loss. Hang in there.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sodium will for sure jack it up. If I spend a day drinking pop instead of water, I'll be at least a pound eavier the next morning.