legs aching and feeling heavy

Options
Hi I have increased my exercises as can fit more in as kids on school holidays. I want to loose weight but finding it hard but I am starting to loose inches, which is a step in the right direction.

I run every other day, days I don't run I go on my cross trainer or do 30 day ripped DVD or both. I have also been doing the squat challenge this month. I stretch before and after my exercises. But my legs are feeling heavy and are aching. Am I over doing ! Or should I just keep going and it will get easier?

Thank you

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Might need some recovery time in that schedule.

Remember weight loss is calorie deficit - that's primarily dietary control

Exercise/training is for being awesome. Recovery is where the magic happens.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're asking a lot of your legs these days! Are you taking any rest days? If not, it might be time to. They don't have to be 100% rest but do something less intense than you normally do - like instead of going for a run, just go for a nice stroll. Or do yoga, or go for a swim.

How's your protein intake? Are you getting enough water?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Over doing. And probably under eating too
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Am I over doing ! Or should I just keep going and it will get easier?

sounds like overtraining, and potentially not replenishing your fuel.

The answer depends on your priorities, but I'd say that the cross trainer probably ives you less benefit than the rest, although you could do with some resistance training in there to mitigate the impact of running.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Over doing. And probably under eating too

Yep this - you need to eat at least some of your exercise calories back - that is how MFP is set up, the deficit is already there.

If you over do the exercise with no rest day AND don't take in enough food to help you recover you will crash and burn.
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your advice. I really appreciate it. I will take on board everything said. I am going to tweak my exercise so my legs get a break and increase my calories if done a lot of exercise in one day. I will also increase protein intake to help with muscle recovery. Thank you again for all your positive feed back :-)