Back on keto diet after sliding off - need a beach body

Options
Hi there

I have recently gone back on to the keto eating plan and strangely am not seeing as good results as what I had when I was on it before. I have been so much stricter, anyways i am trying not to look at the scale as it goes up and down was 52.9kgs tuesday and then this morning 55.1kgs. What gives :(

Anybody got any advise to help me speed up my fat burning weightloss programe I have 5 weeks till I leave for New york and I just want to get down to 50kgs - not far if I was 52.9kgs but the scale upset me this morning. Going to stay off of it till monday as per my usual weekly weigh in.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would do keto for a short period like 5 weeks. By the time you start adjusting to the lack of carbs in your diet, the 5 weeks will be complete. But that's your call. Even with keto though, you need to create a caloric deficit sufficient to lose fat at your desired rate. You should expect to drop a bit of water weight due to muscle glycogen depletion, but that's probably not the sort of weight loss you want for your trip, because while it will register on the scale but it'll return as soon as you carb up. Calories control fat loss, so use a food scale, eat a caloric deficit and give it time to work. If keto helps you do that, go for it.
  • c_aw
    c_aw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    try to do high intensity exercises in the gym to get rid of the glycogen in the liver and muscles.
  • nudave
    nudave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I echo parkscs thoughts. Keto is not a quick way of losing weight. By the time you are ketogenic (3-4 weeks) it'll be time to leave for the trip. If you're looking long term weight loss, I'm highly advocate of the keto diet but not short term. It'll just end up putting the weight back on.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would do keto for a short period like 5 weeks. By the time you start adjusting to the lack of carbs in your diet, the 5 weeks will be complete. But that's your call. Even with keto though, you need to create a caloric deficit sufficient to lose fat at your desired rate. You should expect to drop a bit of water weight due to muscle glycogen depletion, but that's probably not the sort of weight loss you want for your trip, because while it will register on the scale but it'll return as soon as you carb up. Calories control fat loss, so use a food scale, eat a caloric deficit and give it time to work. If keto helps you do that, go for it.

This^^^
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Even if Keto is good or bad for you...never ever base a feeling about results on a couple days. NEVER.

3-4 weeks is the minimum to judge results.
  • missy851031
    Options
    My plan is to make this a life change - however with previous great results in a short period of time I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong. Alas I am not giving up - I am still going strong and will continue to do so.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My plan is to make this a life change - however with previous great results in a short period of time I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong. Alas I am not giving up - I am still going strong and will continue to do so.

Use a food scale and log everything. If you're going from a standard diet to a ketogenic diet, you should start to see a water weight drop of at least a few pounds within the first week and possibly into the second week (depending on how active you are and your carb macro). If you aren't seeing that, odds are you're eating more carbs/calories than you think.