How to lose 20lbs (10kg) in 2-3months?

Options
I want to know
1)how much calories should I eat a day
2) how long should I exercise a day
I found calorie calculator and it said , I need to eat from 1100 calories to 1300 calories to lose 2lb (1kg) per week.
I am 160cm.5 and 3. weigh 116 now.

I tried eating all the calories I exercised as what people on this website suggested (calories deficit or whatever which didn't work on my weight loss). It was like eating the food I exercised for. It was useless.

So, the thing is I only need to exercise more and eat less, right??

I want to know the right and fast way to lose weight.
No more stupid calories deficit thing cuz it doesn't work!! I didn't do wrong though.

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First off 1100 is way too low and starting at 1300 is also pretty low though that might end up working eventually as you figure out your maintenance level and what you can drop at. It's best to start higher on calories, because it's much easier to cut back on calories then it is to increase calories and reverse diet. You don't want to get yourself in a situation where you plateau at a low calorie amount and end up having nowhere to cut from. I recommend you start eating at 1600 calories at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats and see how that works for 2 weeks then adjust if needed from there. As for exercise around 30 minutes-1 hour is plenty of time for exercise to get the job done. Also last thing is losing 2 pounds a week can be pretty aggressive. As long as you are losing between 1-2 pounds a week you are fine. One last thing you say you want to lose 20 lbs but that would put you at 96lbs which is really tiny! I think somewhere in the 100-110 range is more realistic for a good healthy and functional weight.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    I'm 21, shorter and smaller than you. I eat more than you and I lose weight.

There's no LAZY quick fix here. Weight loss takes TIME AND EFFORT AND DEDICATION.

Calories will work. YOU need to be patient. And eat more. If not, go back to whatever fad diet it is you want...and don't complain when you gain all the weight plus more back as fast as you've lost it.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I want to know
    I found calorie calculator and it said , I need to eat from 1100 calories to 1300 calories to lose 2lb (1kg) per week.

I tried eating all the calories I exercised as what people on this website suggested (calories deficit or whatever which didn't work on my weight loss). It was like eating the food I exercised for. It was useless.

No more stupid calories deficit thing cuz it doesn't work!! I didn't do wrong though.
    If a calorie deficit didn't work for you then you exist outside the laws of physics. For every human on earth, if they eat less calories per day then they burn their body must use stored energy to make up for the deficit. Unless your body found a way to run on good intentions and unicorn tears, 1 of 2 things happened. You ate more then you thought, or you burned less then you thought. Often times it's a combination of both.

My best advice to you would be to get any ideas of "fast" weight loss out of your head now. You don't get fat in 2 months so don't expect to get thin in 2 months. The best way to lose weight is to monitor your daily calorie in take very strictly. Not just tracking your food in MFP but tracking, and weighing to the gram, EVERYTHING you put in your body. You can't forget to add foods, you must weigh and not guess on portion size, you must count liquids with calories (soda, juice, alcohol), you must account for cheat days. It's very easy to eat back your entire weekly deficit in just 1 cheat day. 1100-1300 calories is far to little for someone weighing 116kg. You should easily be able to lose on much more then that. Remember and accurately counted 1800 calories is often times less food then a poorly counted 1200.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have much to lose, 2 pounds a week is going to be too aggressive a goal for you. If you weren't losing before, you were either underestimating your intake and/or overestimating your exercise (and looking through your diary I would definitely say the latter).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

if you aren't losing, you're not at a calorie deficit. You're doing something wrong if you aren't losing. It's a math equation, in the long run, so check your numbers.

Are they accurate? I'm willing to doubt it.

as far as what you should change? Your expectations and approach would be a good start.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I want to know

Well if you want to know the right way to lose weight, it is a calorie deficit. Weigh out your food, eat 1200 a day, and exercise (cardio and lifiting). Be patient! You're not going to drop 5 lb overnight.
    If you want a fast way to lose weight, start cutting off limbs. Any regime you get on to to lose weight as quickly as you'd like will not likely be sustainable, and you will gain all the weight right back once you stop.
    Remember, it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options

as far as what you should change? Your expectations and approach would be a good start.

tumblr_lstsz9obUr1qecpp4.gif
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You're 5'3'', weigh 116, and want to drop 20lbs? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little nutty? Or someone tell me I read it wrong?

What's your body fat percentage, that would be a better indicator. You're not going to drop 20lbs fast, if you can at all. As others have said you're likely not measuring accurately. However, a realistic approach to what your goal is might be in order.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You're 5'3'', weigh 116, and want to drop 20lbs? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little nutty? Or someone tell me I read it wrong?

That was my first thought too. Losing 20 lbs on that small of a frame will likely make you look like a skeleton.

And even if you want to drop a couple fat pounds for vanity, 2lbs a week is simply unattainable without nearly starving yourself.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone here- listen, OP. Being less than 100 lbs at your height is not healthy. You'd have to be about 5" shorter to even consider that.

And also do what everyone else is saying- you can't lose that much that fast. Adjust your mindset. You can lose weight if you really want to (you don't really need to for health reasons). But you have to lose it slowly. It's not going to be a quick process.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

What's your body fat percentage, that would be a better indicator. You're not going to drop 20lbs fast, if you can at all. As others have said you're likely not measuring accurately. However, a realistic approach to what your goal is might be in order.

Ding ding ding...
  • annpatalexa
    annpatalexa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As dorky as it is. And as much as it sucks to do. Take a measuring cup when you prepare foods, get a food scale to weigh meats, and get accurate. You would be surprised what 2oz of dry noodles actually looks like both dry and cooked. 1 cup of mashed potatoes is smaller then my fist.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Yes, totally this. 20 lbs lost at your height/weight would put you WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY underweight. That is not healthy nor sustainable.

And I also agree with the others when they say if you aren't losing, you're not at a deficit. Either that, or you're not giving it enough time. 1 day, 1 week etc, is not enough time to see any significant change, especially at your weight.

I think you should re-evaluate your goals and choose something more realistic.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I copied some pertinent links in your other post with the same title.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I would suggest buying a digital food scale. Weigh everything by the gram and input your own food data.
    Restaurants tend to be inaccurate depending on who's in the kitchen.

Also buy a HRM watch(heart rate monitor) to accurately measure your caloric burns during exercise.

Lastly, try incorporating more vegetables and fruit. Certain ones like celery are low in calories, so you can eat a lot and not rack up your calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be 96 pounds? That is under-weight.

Healthy weight:

5'3" small frame107 to 115 medium frame 112 to 126 large frams121 to 138
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No--maybe because I'm 5'3, that was my thought too. Totally apart from 2 lb/week being overly aggressive at that weight, why the rush to go from a BMI of 20.5 to one of 17. That's a bad idea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think you should probably talk to your doctor about your unrealistic expectations of what your body should look like.