does anyone just walk to lose weight

Options
I just started my weight loss journey....again and for the past 2 weeks I have been walking 5 days a week for 30 mins. its not a lot because that's about as much time as I have to walk on my lunch breaks. I was just wondering if any of you used walking as your main source of exercise and did you lose a good amount of weight? im not trying to lose weight fast. ive already lost 1.8 pounds so far just by walking and cutting my calories. walking seems to be so underrated and I just want to hear stories of people who have used walking alone as a tool to lose some weight.

Replies

• lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hiya. This has worked for me in the past, but now I am heavier I need a higher intensity work-out to burn enough calories.
    When it worked for me a few years ago, I only had to lose about a stone! I walked for an hour a day for 6 weeks and also dieted using weight watchers and I lost a stone in that short time.
    So I suppsose it depends on how much you want to lose and whether you're open to different exercise routines. I am finding the gym is working for me at the moment, but I always hated it in the past!
    It is good that you aren't in a rush or looking for a quick fix!
    Best of luck to you
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    Just walking worked for me in the beginning of this wt. loss journey. But then I added, some zumba, some step aerobics and a little jogging intermittently. But I have been doing the walking for 3 months before starting the other stuff. If I walk, I don't do the other stuff and vice versa. Walking will help you to lose weight. Definitely.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've always loved to exercise, but after the birth of my first baby I was up 40 lbs and had NO desire to workout AT ALL. I changed my diet to high fiber/high protein/lower carb and put my baby in a stroller and went for a walk a day. Nothing strenuous, about a mile in total of easy strolling. I lost 50lbs in 6 months. I am a great believer in weight loss has mostly to do with your food.

Once I lost the weight I gained the desire to get back to the gym.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yep me. I started out walking and still do it everyday. When it starts to get too easy I either up the intensity or speed or just increase the distance. I am at five to six miles daily and sometime swim and bike as well.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose. Walking is great exercise, but it depends on what your goals are.

I was just walking at first, but not seeing the results I wanted. I started adding more time and distance thinking that might do the trick, but it wasn't until I started adding some form of resistance/strength/weight training that I started getting the results I wanted, which is a firm, fit body & lowered body fat percentage.

Maybe try mixing it up - if you only have 30 minutes, do the walk every other day, and in between do 30 minutes at home with some dumbbells. FitnessBlender.com has a great variety of workouts and they're all free. Handy search feature too, so you can find workouts for the length of time you have available, equipment or body weight exercises, strength, yoga, target body area, and so on.

Good luck!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    My husband walks. Combined with a calorie deficit he's lost 30 pounds and still losing. You can definatley lose by walking. Good luck on your journey!!!