I can't stop eating!

Options
I've been doing fine for months. I don't really restrict myself and always eat what I want within guidelines. Weightloss has been descent and I'm content with my progress. A few weeks ago, my doctor started me on vitamin d and I've been ravenous. My appetite has been out of control. Now the vitamin D has helped me in many ways. I don't ache anymore. I don't wake up feeling like I've been hit by a bus. Could intense hunger be a side effect of this high dosage? I only take it once per week (D2 50,000). I've been craving sugar and caffiene like crazy and I feel weak and tired all the time. It's hard to exercise but I manage to get it done. I haven't been eating enough to gain weight, but I'm eating too much to lose. This is so frustrating because I have a hard time focusing because I'm weak because of hunger. Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic says it can mess up your blood sugar levels, which would lead you to feeling ravenous. Tiredness is another effect: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-d/safety/hrb-20060400

I'd talk to your doctor. Sounds like you need to modify the amount of Vitamin D or how often (or if) it's taken, and monitor your blood sugar.
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hrm. Interesting. I think you're on to something here. Grrrr. Well, I'll just have to suffer for 8 more weeks until I get my levels up. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to double up on some cardio.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic says it can mess up your blood sugar levels, which would lead you to feeling ravenous. Tiredness is another effect: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-d/safety/hrb-20060400

I'd talk to your doctor. Sounds like you need to modify the amount of Vitamin D or how often (or if) it's taken, and monitor your blood sugar.

^This.

OP: Is there any way you can get direct sunlight 15-30 minutes a day instead of taking a Vitamin D supp?
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Yes you can ,you just don't want to.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was found to have a severe vitamin D deficiency and was also put on 50K IU once a week. Now I'm on 5k a day. Before I was diagnosed, one of my symptoms was weight gain. For the first time in my life I found myself gaining weight and I was 20 lbs over my ideal weight. Once I started taking it I was able to exercise and lost 23 lbs and have been doing pretty well. I do feel like I have to be careful with what I eat but I don't feel any hungrier than usual (I'm always hungry, though... Just like I was before when I was vitamin D deficient).

That said... Everybody is different so it might affect you different than it affects me.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There are many different ways to take Vitamin D. I know many people who are on the once a week regimen, but I take 2000 IU daily as prescribed by my doc. Never had any problems with feeling ravenous while taking it. I have been on it for almost 4 years now and have seen the biggest difference in how my skin looks. I have lived in WA state now for over 20 years and I think my body was totally thrown off with not getting all the sunshine that it did when I was younger living in the South. Hopefully your doc can get it right for you! Send me some Houston sunshine!
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In the mean time I found when I have can't stop eating days I make popcorn in the microwave, no oil just microwave the popping corn and add cinnamon, its a life saver.
  • bnmoyler
    Options

^This.

OP: Is there any way you can get direct sunlight 15-30 minutes a day instead of taking a Vitamin D supp?

I actually was shocked when my levels came back extremely low. I've been living in Houston for almost four years now and we have LOTS of sun. I lived in Boston for like 10 years prior so I can see how I ended up this way. Apparently, I would have to sit in the sun for almost 2 hours to absorb enough vitamin D. Darker skin has much more melanin which blocks the sun. Therefore it would take longer to absorb an adequate amount. I spend a descent amount of time outside- just not enough I suppose. Also I forgot to mention that the deficiency is diet related. I'm a dietary vegan ( for the most part) and my entire household's level are low. So being 10 years with no sun and not eating animal products is the blame. The kids are just a little on the low side. At this phase in life, we eat pretty balanced.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    what about sitting in the sun for your vit. d? do that!!!
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't absorb vitamin D properly for whatever reasons. That's my case. Doesn't matter if I'm in the sun so that's why I have to take high doses so I would not advice you to "just go in the sun" unless your doctor thinks it's a good idea. You are supposed to have between 30 and 70 nl per mg in your blood, 30 being very low. I had 7. I do live in New England but go to Florida at least four times a year and do not use sunscreen. Doctor said I will just have to supplement my D for life. Not having it seriously wrecked my life for years until I decided to see what was wrong. So be careful about not taking your prescribed dosage.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    what about sitting in the sun for your vit. d? do that!!!
    I actually was shocked when my levels came back extremely low. I've been living in Houston for almost four years now and we have LOTS of sun. I lived in Boston for like 10 years prior so I can see how I ended up this way. Apparently, I would have to sit in the sun for almost 2 hours to absorb enough vitamin D. Darker skin has much more melanin which blocks the sun. Therefore it would take longer to absorb an adequate amount. I spend a descent amount of time outside- just not enough I suppose. Also I forgot to mention that the deficiency is diet related. I'm a dietary vegan ( for the most part) and my entire household's level are low. So being 10 years with no sun and not eating animal products is the blame. The kids are just a little on the low side. At this phase in life, we eat pretty balanced.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    Yea, we have lots of sun but I'm just not absorbing it. It is helping me though in many ways so I don't want to stop taking it. Besides, I only have a couple months left to get my levels up. Since I've been taking it, my joints don't pop out anymore and I don't have back and muscle pain. I used to think it was a result of exercising but it continued even when I was wasn't. I also was having really bad headaches and dizziness so it has really gotten a grip on all of that.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think you read this article, you'd think twice about stopping taking it.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/sep2010_The-Vitamin-D-Solution_01.htm

Also make sure you get your kids in the right state re their vitamins. You know what a lack of vitamin d in kids results in.

Also remember osteoporosis will the long term results of deficiency in vitamin d since its essential for proper calcium absorption. My grandmother and mother have osteoporosis. I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone if it can be prevented.

I can't remember what you said your weight was but if you have lost a lot of weight or are underweight, this extra vitamin d could be triggering a reaction that your body needs. So make sure what extra food you are eating, make it healthy. and I'd say just go with it until it settles down. Eat low calorie and low GI foods like vegetables and beans and lentils and chickpeas. You may put on a little weight but it will come to a stop before too long if you continue to eat mainly healthy foods.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Look into vit D3 instead of D2.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are just stressed from having to take the pill that you are beginning to over eat. Remember to relax more during your day. Take some time out to enjoy something non-food related like a hot bath or a long walk. Sometimes we just need to redirect ourselves in order to not pay so much attention to food or using food rewards to feel better. I'm not a Dr. though. I would really ask him more about it.
  • Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was taking the same dosage you are and I was eating like crazy as well. It finally stopped after taking it for 3 months. Hopefully it will get better. Good luck:flowerforyou: