For those who carry weight on their thighs

Options
Did they eventually slim down after losing allot of weight?I started at 150 and I have lost weight on my upper body ,waist, stomach but my thighs are still quite thick.I am down to 140 and my goal weight is 120 so I was wondering if the 20 pounds will slim down these thighs. If not then maybe I can keep going to go for 115 ?but then I heard those last pounds are hard to get off and some people have given up on them. I also run outside for an hour few times a week and I also lift weights and do allot of lunges and squarts.I am 5`3 btw

Update here is before and after pic as you can see the thighs got smaller a little bit but still quite thick
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44680119@N04/14701232930/

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Good question - I would imagine so!

I had 28 lbs to lose and I REALLY want my INNER thighs to slim down. I cant wear skirts or dresses because they rub and hurt.

If anyone has good exercises to do for the inner thigh specifically that would be great too!!
  • ChristenSchwiegerath
    Options
    Patience, time and diligence! It will come off too, it's usually the last place I lose fat
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly it was one of the first areas for me albeit it I've only lost between 0.5-1 inch on either thigh in the last 5 weeks from cycling but not budged since so still there :sad:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It just kind of depends on where your body wants to release the fat from when you lose weight. I've always had big thighs. I'm 5'8" and was 139lbs at my lowest weight (around 145lbs now) and my thighs really didn't get much smaller, but everything else did. I have a really small chest, waist, and hips/butt and then boooooom hello thighs! I was frustrated at first but since I've been in maintenance for a year and a half now, I've learned to embrace them. They look a lot better from spinning, running, and lifting though, that's for sure.

So your thighs might get smaller but if you've already lost that much weight and haven't seen much reduction there, chances are that's the place where your body wants to hang onto fat, and that's okay. Rock those strong thighs!
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Good question - I would imagine so!

I had 28 lbs to lose and I REALLY want my INNER thighs to slim down. I cant wear skirts or dresses because they rub and hurt.

If anyone has good exercises to do for the inner thigh specifically that would be great too!!

Same here.The heavier I get the more they rub against each other. Thats what compelled me to lose weight since I carry most of my fat there.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    They will eventually shrink, yes. I carry most of my weight there, too. As your body fat percentage goes down your thighs will get smaller, if that's the place where you carry most of your weight. It's just the last place you'll lose inches. Frustrating.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    No matter how thin I am I have always had big thighs. It's genetics for me. Most of the women in my family all have wide hips and big thighs. I do find that doing side leg raises where you have your top leg crossed over in front of you, now those things will definitely help with the inner thigh area. You feel them after about 10 or 15 of them and be sore the next day but you can do more if you feel you can or want to.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Generally, your "problem areas" are the last to go. They are problem areas for a reason: because your body is genetically predisposed to store more fat there than anywhere else.

You will usually keep your general shape as you slim down until you get to a low body fat and that's where your skeletal and muscle structure starts to have more say in the way you look than your fat storing genes.

Thighs do slim down, I mean I had jeans I could not pull up beyond my knees, and I'm wearing them comfortably as we speak, but my thighs still stand out as the one of my largest parts. Let's see what what happens as I get closer to goal body fat.
  • Tanie98
    Options
    It just kind of depends on where your body wants to release the fat from when you lose weight. I've always had big thighs. I'm 5'8" and was 139lbs at my lowest weight (around 145lbs now) and my thighs really didn't get much smaller, but everything else did. I have a really small chest, waist, and hips/butt and then boooooom hello thighs! I was frustrated at first but since I've been in maintenance for a year and a half now, I've learned to embrace them. They look a lot better from spinning, running, and lifting though, that's for sure.

So your thighs might get smaller but if you've already lost that much weight and haven't seen much reduction there, chances are that's the place where your body wants to hang onto fat, and that's okay. Rock those strong thighs!

Oh I see.wel I have lost few inches on them but they are still quite thick

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44680119@N04/14701232930/
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Me...I carry my weight on my thighs and butt (I am a pear shape). I'm still trying to slim down those areas even though I hit my goal weight a while back. Don't get me wrong, they have slimmed down quite a lot since I lost my 60 lbs but it's something I am still working on...my 'problem' areas.

Although you can't spot reduce, I have found that doing weighted deadlifts, squats (various) and lunges have helped A LOT. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Edited to add more.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 23 pounds and mine have gotten a tiny bit smaller, like I've lost about an inch there (maybe 2), but for me nope. But my family is built like that. We have thighs, butts, and breast. I've just accepted it for what it is. I don't even look at that as a place for me to lose (I just want them to get firmer and more toned), I'm more concerned with my stomach.

I feel like for me, the smaller my stomach gets, the larger my hips/butt and thighs gets, which isn't true. It's just more prominent now.

Squats and lunges will probably help. Bike riding will also probably help them tone and firm up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and more squats!
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    No matter how thin I am I have always had big thighs. It's genetics for me. Most of the women in my family all have wide hips and big thighs. I do find that doing side leg raises where you have your top leg crossed over in front of you, now those things will definitely help with the inner thigh area. You feel them after about 10 or 15 of them and be sore the next day but you can do more if you feel you can or want to.

So basically cross my ankles while sitting with legs out straight, and just raise them up and down repetitively?
    I can do that! I have ankle weights I can use too.

Also, Squats (Tavisstock) I do too - Lunges not so much, I cant seem to get them down properly and lose my balance all the time...I think biking is something I have to pick up more too!
  • SonyaKou
    SonyaKou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is where I carry the load of my fat too. I find that when I was in really good shape my thighs were never thin per se, but they were nicely shaped. They had a nice soft curve to them instead of the fat pockets (then again I was running marathons, so my leg muscles were pretty built). I think you will genetically always have thighs for days, but that is a good thing! People love a woman with shapely thighs and a nice caboose. But if your body is anything like mine, it will be the last place you lose it. I had a four pack, nearing a six pack before my thighs were trimmed up. Just keep at it. = )
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Maybe..............

I'm a pear. I will always be a pear (from 160 to 106....I'm 5'5") .....I'm a pear. People have different shapes....this is largely genetic.

Just do the best you can.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Alot of people have pointed out that the vast majority of people hold their fat in their thighs and stomach and the only way to slim them down is by decreasing your bf%, 2 ways of doing that 1) keep losing weight till they are a size you like or 2) lift heavy and decrease your bf% without a huge loss of the scale.

The problem with 1 is you may have to go to a very low weight before you are comfortable with the way they are. 2 is the better option It enables you to slim down without having to go to such a low number on the scale.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    They should get smaller but chances are you will always have "big thighs" and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You can't change your genetics. A little acceptance goes a long way. Learn to like or at least tolerate and accept your thighs. They are "normal", they are strong, they are sexy, they are part of who you are.

Also you can't spot reduce. Lose fat overall and your body gets to dictate where it comes from. Leg lifts will not help reduce fat on your thighs.
  • Tanie98
    Options
    Maybe..............

I'm a pear. I will always be a pear (from 160 to 106....I'm 5'5") .....I'm a pear. People have different shapes....this is largely genetic.

I see.How long did it took you to go from 160 to 106?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe..............

106 is low for your height.
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Even when I went through a bout of anorexia in my early 20s (down to 400kcal/day at my worst - no periods for over a year), I still had chubby thighs.
    But what is wrong with chubby thighs?