Chi-running

Options

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    It is possible to fall fowards on a hill. Just stand on a hill and try it. No one suggested that gravity lifts you up the hill but it can still be used to contribute to the forward motion. I find it easest to apply uphill as its natural to lean forward- just avoid doing it from your waist.
    Ps - i have a degree in physics and can draw you the necessary vector diagrams if required. Gravity doesnt pull you forward. Ever. But it can be used to create momentum which can be translated to the horizontal plane, and this is a different motion to power running. The book is poor in its explination but the results seem to work.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've read the book and many of my friends rave about it and have attended workshops. I thought it had some good ideas but I wouldn't invest in a seminar just to run three miles. To be honest you can get the principles from a quick Google and YouTube. For me the best bits were about posture and mid-foot landing (combined with under-body landing position). The latter suits me perfectly and I'm convinced has helped prevent injuries that previously plagued me.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you'd do it if you hate it. There are so many outdoor activities you could be doing that are just as effective.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It is possible to fall fowards on a hill. Just stand on a hill and try it. No one suggested that gravity lifts you up the hill but it can still be used to contribute to the forward motion. I find it easest to apply uphill as its natural to lean forward- just avoid doing it from your waist.
    Ps - i have a degree in physics and can draw you the necessary vector diagrams if required. Gravity doesnt pull you forward. Ever. But it can be used to create momentum which can be translated to the horizontal plane, and this is a different motion to power running. The book is poor in its explination but the results seem to work.

Clearly you're correct! Funny, when I took the class, the instruction to run hills had nothing to do with falling uphill. We did hill work, and no one fell or even suggested to fall. The work was in arms and a zig zag approach. Apparently there is some lacking of common sense on the boards today. The book isn't near as informational as the DVD was. And frankly, to the negative poster, if you don't support ChiRunning it appears if you are replying to the thread to be a troll, hope that works for you.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Question for all of you minimalist shoe runners - actually two but I have read some responses to question 2 in other topics.

1. I run on a combo of trail and old road (avatar picture.) The old road has lots of large stones (often jagged edges.) I run in the early mornings, before sunrise in winter, so it is impossible to avoid all rocks. Is running on this terrain possible with minimalist shoes?

2. I have PF and wear inserts. I know that in theory Five Fingers and such are good for PF so no insert needed, but I just can't believe that and can't afford to waste money trying shoes that I can't wear. Would a minimalist shoe allow inserts and therefore be a better choice for me than Five Finger type?

Thoughts anyone?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Your answer to number 2 also answers 1.
    If you choose a minimalist shoe like the adizero or saucony kinvara or the others like them, I would guess you could fit your insert in them.
    And in a "minimalist" shoe like those described, you will easily be able to deal with rocks and such.
    The big definition for a minimalist shoe is the heel to toe thickness ratio and just a bit of cushioning. No motion control or anything. Shoes like that would easily handle trails & rocks.
    They might wear out quicker because the sole is softer, though.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My husband is obsessed with Chi Running! He did the seminar as well and is all into it. he also loves doing barefoot running and runs in his Vibrams and the Merell glove shoe.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    He also runs in Newton minimalist shoes - but when he is rough terrain he has to be careful - he hit a branch and really hurt his foot!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Question for all of you minimalist shoe runners - actually two but I have read some responses to question 2 in other topics.

1. I run on a combo of trail and old road (avatar picture.) The old road has lots of large stones (often jagged edges.) I run in the early mornings, before sunrise in winter, so it is impossible to avoid all rocks. Is running on this terrain possible with minimalist shoes?

2. I have PF and wear inserts. I know that in theory Five Fingers and such are good for PF so no insert needed, but I just can't believe that and can't afford to waste money trying shoes that I can't wear. Would a minimalist shoe allow inserts and therefore be a better choice for me than Five Finger type?

Thoughts anyone?

1. Anton Krupicka, ultra trail runner extraordinaire, and consultant on the design of the New Balance Minimus Trail shoes, wont wear the Minimus Trails on many of his runs because they dont have a rock plate. Instead, he wears the NB MT101's.

There are, however, lots of ultrarunners who will run extremely rocky trails in Vibrams, Moccasins, Huaraches, you name it.

2. Yes, a shoe like the Minimus or Kinvara would probably accomodate an insert, but then you are sort of defeating the purpose of the minimalist shoe.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I kept an open mind when trying Teh Chi Running method. I found some of the tips to be common sense. But I do not agree with their "no strength training" rationale.

But I kept an open mind, because this went against everything I had learned as a personal trainer, and from running coaches. I developed terrible TFL problems as a result. Not until I started doing unilateral glute and quad training again, did I get better.

Sorry, I tried it, and other than a few posture techniques, which I already understood, I found it elitist and harmful.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    chi-running is that like running with tiny dogs????
  • mikeyrp
    Options

Yes. Only without the dogs. Unless you have a tiny dog.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Yes. Only without the dogs. Unless you have a tiny dog.

i have 3, but one is "special" but they are yorkies though so i don't know if they will work
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Picked up ChiRunning from my library last night and 47 pages in so far. Running or not, it's a good book and gives you a lot to think about. What some people are referring to as the hippy-dippy, new age, too far out there stuff is actually ancient philosophies that have shaped the strength of Eastern religion and life. All Eastern philosophies are based around balance and knowledge. Unlike many Western religions, it is encouraged to practice more than one. Use the strength and knowledge gained from one facet of life and apply it to all others.

This book is not only about barefoot/minimalist running. It can be applied to any and all running. While the author is not necessarily FOR strength training, can the same philosophies on movement, harnessing you bodies power, and listening to it's needs help you further develop your strength training?! Absolutely!!

Like I said, only 47 pages in...but keep an open mind when reading this. The black and white text is something that can be applied to many shades of grey throughout your life.

Happy running!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Haha.. I would totally love to see force diagrams of ChiRunning. Maybe then I could understand it better. :smile:
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Haha.. I would totally love to see force diagrams of ChiRunning. Maybe then I could understand it better. :smile:

Force%20diagram.jpg

lgd.jpg

I think this may need some more explanation but I am MEANT to be working... the most confusing but is the line showing gravity being converted to angular momentum - that's because the downward line is coming from the centre of gravity (COG), I moved it to the outer circle because it was easier to see:

Angular%20momentum.jpg

The calculation of angular force = distance of COG from the pivot (R) * force due to gravity along line tangential to the axis (green line). The amount of force in the green line = COS(X)* force due to gravity (red)

You can do a similar calculation to work out the breaking force by looking at the position of the heal strike.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: the diagrams Mike!!!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Today I set my personal record for 5km @ 21 minutes 24 seconds. Chi Running (at least trying for it) all the way baby.

I do have mild shin splints today though :(
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I have problems with shin splints when I started the C25K and have the Chi Running book on hold at my bookstore.
    I could run a lot more if I wasn't in pain from my shins and knee.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great diagrams!