The 17 Day Diet?

Options
Just curious to see if anybody on here has any success stories using the 17 Day diet? I've used it before and gradually lost weight, but I lost motivation and gave up. Now that I have my motivation back I'm thinking of trying it again because it really does show you how to eat sensibly.

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    What happens after the 17 days?
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for fad diets. They never work and if they do, as soon as you stop, the weight comes back and then some. I would rather eat sensibly and exercise. There is no getting around putting the work in you need to do to lose weight. It's about self control, self discipline, and not trying to find loopholes to get around it.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Anything that says X Day Diet is a fad. Sure it works, but it's a quick fix that doesn't last. Hence you not being able to stick with it. You want to go with a gradual loss if you only have a moderate amount to lose because that is much easier to manage and maintain when you reach your goal weight.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Considering it's taken me almost 8 months to lose 17lbs, I would suggest your 17 day diet is hokum.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So you've done it before and lost motivation.... I think it would be beneficial to you to figure out why you lost motivation for something that's only 17 days long. Plus... what happens after the 17 days?

TBH, things like this are fad diets. Perhaps you should try finding something that isn't a fad and can be easily sustained over the long term to reach your goals (AKA, moderate calorie deficit).
  • MEPQ44
    MEPQ44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    this diet is done in 17 day cycles. So once you finish the first 17 days you move on to the next 17, and you keep repeating the cycles until you reach your final goal.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Why not just track your intake on myfitnesspal and eat a consistent number of calories? After a few weeks go by, if you lost weight, keep eating that number of calories, if you didn't, reduce the number of calories. That way you can eat whatever you want in moderation.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    What happens when you reach your goal? What will you learn from your fad- I mean 17 day diet cycle?

In the last 7 months, I've learned portion control, how to tell genuine hunger from emotional/boredom eating, and I can eyeball portions accurately. I also haven't lost motivation, because I've cut nothing out of my diet.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    this diet is done in 17 day cycles. So once you finish the first 17 days you move on to the next 17, and you keep repeating the cycles until you reach your final goal.

Then what??
  • jusnjas
    jusnjas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 4 of the 17 Day Diet. I haven't cheated with added sugar/carbs! But haven't lost anything yet! I did this last year only cycle 1 and lost 6 lbs. I know it works. The first cycle is a detox, so the 2nd/3rd day, i had a constant headache. I feel better today but disappointed that the scale didn't move. I am 42, 43 next month and i am 5'4. I would like to lose 25 lbs. ( i am at my highest pregnancy weight and i delivered my babies 15 & 17 yrs ago!) So, as I have gotten older, my metabolism has slowed but my food intake hasn't changed..I just kept gobbling sugar and carbs. But I love to work out, so that's why my weight goes up & down! I am swelling in the legs really bad (I am shaped like a pear), so I think the sodium is what's doing it. I am determined not to give up and not go back to eating sugar/bad carbs and drinking diet coke & Sweet tea! If I don't lose at least 5 lbs on the 17th day, I may stay in Cycle 1 instead of moving onto cycle 2 (adding sweet potatoes, grains, etc). I just need help!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat sensibly? I really don't understand doing named diets.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just curious to see if anybody on here has any success stories using the 17 Day diet? I've used it before and gradually lost weight, but I lost motivation and gave up. Now that I have my motivation back I'm thinking of trying it again because it really does show you how to eat sensibly.

Yes - it teaches you how to eat "sensibly" for a TIME......if you can translate that into "sensibly" forever.....go for it.

I'm not going to give up sugar forever.....so the 17 day diet wouldn't help me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    That diet was the reason I yo yo'd from 2010 until June 2013...down 25, up 15 down 10 up 20...

Sure you lose weight fast, feel good (as long as you don't exercise too hard) and you can create good habits from it but most don't.

I didn't stop yo yoing until I joined MFP...it's been over a year, I hit maitenance and haven't looked back

Actually I am doing better now with MFP than I ever did with WW, Atkins, 17 day diet, just exercise etc.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The first cycle is a detox...

Stop right there...if the silly name wasn't enough that's more than enough reason to toss this one in the trash heap.

Eat less, move more, track your calories and macros. Done.
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing cycle 2 on Sunday and have lost 15 lbs so far. Feel great and find the 'diet'....its not really a diet but a way to reset your eating habits......anyways easy to follow, gradually takes you back to proper eating, allows you to fall in love with veggies again, and is really working for me. Don't think of it as a diet. First 17 days is harder as you detox from processed food and sugar, but after that you feel great.
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My mom and I did this like two years ago. I had to quit after 13 days because I was just starving and had no energy. As others have said, all these "fad" diets really just aren't worth it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing cycle 2 on Sunday and have lost 15 lbs so far. Feel great and find the 'diet'....its not really a diet but a way to reset your eating habits......anyways easy to follow, gradually takes you back to proper eating, allows you to fall in love with veggies again, and is really working for me. Don't think of it as a diet. First 17 days is harder as you detox from processed food and sugar, but after that you feel great.

That is all fine and good but once you get to the 4th cycle and eat "normally" and start gaining weight again...you going to go back and do it again?

That's what I did for 3 years....until June 13th 2013...note MFP join date.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    What happens on the 18th day?

Why is there no cake?
  • amy_lynn007
    amy_lynn007 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I did it, it was horrible. I lost weight quickly, but had no energy and it was so incredibly restrictive that I had no social life. As soon as I went off it (at my goal weight), I regained all of my weight back and then some because I had felt so restricted that whole time. Now I'm down below my original goal weight and feeling healthy and energetic. I highly advise NOT doing this fad diet.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Then what??

I'm curious too...then what?

If you've already, I hate to use the word fail so I'll use flail, If you've already flailed on this diet...what makes this time different?