Re-Connect With Your Food

Options
This week, I've had a really satisfying relationship with food. Let me explain. First, understand that I've never been a very good cook, which explains why I ate so much processed food and put on weight. This year, I've tried to change that. So I decided to take a stab at home made turkey noodle soup, using my Thanksgiving leftovers. First, I searched online and found instructions for making turkey stock from the carcass. Done - interesting, too. So on to the soup. It was pretty simple, just carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, a little salt and pepper, turkey stock, and the turkey meat. It came out pretty good, if I do say so myself,

But the best part, and the point of this whole post, is my realization of how much more satisfying this bowl of soup was than others I've had. Instead of opening a can, almost the entire pot was made from fresh, unprocessed ingredients. Well, OK, the turkey is a cheat since I bought a Butterball this year, and they inject those things with some sort of flavor enhancers. Yuk. And I suppose I can't take credit for the spices either. But while preparing and eating the soup, I had a much more visceral reaction to it than I'd expected. Sounds crazy to wax philosophical about a bowl of soup, but it's true.

You see, when you go to all the trouble (not that much really, but still) and effort to make your food, it's much more a part of you. Somehow, it was just more satisfying. With the exception of hunting the turkey myself, I couldn't have made a more personal meal. I get this reaction now over something as simple as making rice from scratch, or dicing tomatoes instead of opening a can.

Next time you're making a healthy meal from scratch, take a minute to really think about your food. Be grateful for the bounty we have and make the most of it. Be bold - don't be afraid to try new recipes with new foods. Remember what it felt like to have a healthy love affiar with your food. That's something I think a lot of have lost along the way, that the Europeans still embrace, and we're missing the best part of eating because of it. Food is not your enemy; in fact, it can be your best friend if you give it some respect. Good luck, and Bon Apetit!

Replies

• lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yep, I totally get it. I've been re-connecting with my food too and it's amazing how easy and suprisingly quick most things I've cooked lately have been. It is INDEED very fulfilling and satisfying to be able to do this for my family...McD's, Little Caesars, Old Country Buffet...all them places miss my big family I'm sure...and the money saved to buy these great things I can buy now to cook....fulfilling indeed. Great post...:love: