ugh emotional eating!!! : (

Options
ali106
ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
So I've been doing really pretty good....but some stuff is going on and I'm stressed out a bit....nothing I can't handle....or so I thought....and last night I wasn't even hungry and grabbed that delicious creamy salsa I bought and then instead of the cut up veggies I grabbed the tostitos and did a good job let me just say!!! THEN I had a bowl of frozen yogurt....I know the cals weren't too bad....but the reason behind my little "session" scare me.....I want to be done w/ that kind of stuff!!!!

During the day its not bad...but at night is when I struggle...when I'm alone....I think I need to be watched at all times I swear....this has happened a few times in the last two weeks and I'm seeing a pattern.....ugh! I think I needed to put it out there so I see it in black and white....maybe?!

any advice or tips you do for stuff like this would be greatly appreciated!!!
I wish I was one of those who when they were upset or stressed didn't eat....I'd be like rail thin LOL...no I that's not good either just joshin!!!

hugs!
Ali

Replies

• ali106
    Options
    So I've been doing really pretty good....but some stuff is going on and I'm stressed out a bit....nothing I can't handle....or so I thought....and last night I wasn't even hungry and grabbed that delicious creamy salsa I bought and then instead of the cut up veggies I grabbed the tostitos and did a good job let me just say!!! THEN I had a bowl of frozen yogurt....I know the cals weren't too bad....but the reason behind my little "session" scare me.....I want to be done w/ that kind of stuff!!!!

During the day its not bad...but at night is when I struggle...when I'm alone....I think I need to be watched at all times I swear....this has happened a few times in the last two weeks and I'm seeing a pattern.....ugh! I think I needed to put it out there so I see it in black and white....maybe?!

I wish I was one of those who when they were upset or stressed didn't eat....I'd be like rail thin LOL...no I that's not good either just joshin!!!

hugs!
    Ali
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, sweetie. When I get like that, I get on here and read peoples posts. Maybe we should set a time to chat that is your hardest time.
  • ali106
    Options
    thank hon!!! hugs! that's a good idea....:flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    aww :( I hear ya! lucky for me last night I had a bunch of calories left from doing yardwork all day..but STILL. It's awful that we let things get to us so badly that we do things like binge on food or for me alot of times it's alcohol. If I have beer in the fridge and I get ticked off look out! At least u pigged out on healthy food, so it's probably not as bad as you think....I have no idea why we do this to ourselves! Luv ya hun and if u want to talk about anything our hubby is sleeping and I got all day! lol
    Lauren
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

hugs!

Ali
    yeah, not eating is just as bad- I didn't break 500 cals yesterday because I was stressed out, and I feel sick this morning... :sick:

:ohwell:

the time I usually make poor choices about food is when I'm happy- you don't sound like you did too bad, though- you reached for frozen yogurt instead of something that could've been way worse... chin up!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is going to sound silly..... I've got all kinds of issues with emotional eating....stressed, happy, depressed, bored, it doesn't matter what I'm feeling, I tend to self medicate with food. 'm ok when I'm busy but it's the home watching TV time that's difficult.

So, either I walk on the treadmill while I'm watching TV or I do embroidery. I learned how as a child and used to love it, did cross stitch when I was older and now, I purchase old vintage embroidery patterns (gotta love EBAY) and work on them to keep my hands busy.

The added benefit is that I end up with a lot of nice Christmas gifts.

My suggestion, find some kind of hobby or passion that keeps your mind and/or hands busy for those times when you're alone and tempted.
  • ali106
    Options
    Ok, this is going to sound silly..... I've got all kinds of issues with emotional eating....stressed, happy, depressed, bored, it doesn't matter what I'm feeling, I tend to self medicate with food. 'm ok when I'm busy but it's the home watching TV time that's difficult.

So, either I walk on the treadmill while I'm watching TV or I do embroidery. I learned how as a child and used to love it, did cross stitch when I was older and now, I purchase old vintage embroidery patterns (gotta love EBAY) and work on them to keep my hands busy.

My suggestion, find some kind of hobby or passion that keeps your mind and/or hands busy for those times when you're alone and tempted.

you know what that's a really good idea!!!! thanks!!

I actually love to draw and paint and make crafts...hmmm!! yes I like it!

hugs!
    Ali
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I found I just can't keep any tempting food in my house. I even threw away some unused chocolate chips because I knew I'd eat them. If we want a treat, we plan for it and go out. Like if we really want ice cream, we go buy single servings. When I was single, I kept treats in my car, which was a flight of outside stairs away from my apartment. This worked great in the winter.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

you know what that's a really good idea!!!! thanks!!

I actually love to draw and paint and make crafts...hmmm!! yes I like it!

hugs!
    Ali

I'm glad. I'm sure it will help and you'll find that you really enjoy getting back into painting.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that...you recognize that it's from stress so you will be able to get a handle on it...it will just take practice like anything else!

I still slip up now and then, always regret it and get back on track...I can feel the difference now, when I eat not so healthy stuff I don't feel nurished...I like the good feeling I have when I eat the healthy new way.

Don't beat yourself up over spilt milk...keep marching towards your goals!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I've been there too, and have noticed some slip-ups these past few weeks as well. I need to be watched when I'm home alone too!

Love the idea to get back into a hobby, and I definitely love that there is a chat room that we can go to as well.

Hang in there sweetie, we are all going through this together and we will get through it!

I'm going to set up my painting supplies on my kitchen table so that they are there and ready to use next time, so I don't use "I don't feel like digging them out" as an excuse.