What is the Worst Interview Question

Options

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?

I'm ready for 99% of "real" interview questions and interview very well. But this one's hard because not only is it fairly inappropriate and irrelevant, but the only times I've been asked it was because the interviewer was a smoker and/or the company was very smoker-friendly.

I don't smoke...so I felt that I sounded like a bit of a goody goody or holier than thou by saying "no". I'm not going to say something like, "But I'm totally okay with it" because I think it's a terrible and dangerous habit. I just felt on the spot due to that question.

I used to be caught off guard with this one and ask "Smoke what?"

oops...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "What would you say is your worst quality?"
    My answer: "Being overly detailed and organized."

Real answer: my anti-authority attitude.

That's my answer too. My real answer: Being impatient and raging about inefficient processes in the workplace.

Mine too. I legit told my boss that just hired me a month ago: "I'm organized to a fault. I keep emails too long, write everything down, etc... I keep unofficial logs of all of my phone calls because I think that kind of thing is important."

She put a star next to it haha. I'm pretty sure she thought it was BS but last week, she was like, "Holy crap, you weren't kidding about being organized, were you?"

Nope. Nope I wasn't.
    Actually, I do the same thing. I just mentioned to a co-worker that I have every single sent and received email since I started here 10 years ago in a perfectly crafted filing system.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    So we interviewed two guys yesterday (who carpooled) and one of our guys wanted to ask them these:

If you were a flower, what would you be and why?

If there were 10 of you, many many of you should we hire? (As in clones of the interviewee)

I chimed in with:

Who would play you in a movie of your life?

(We're an engineering firm lol)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So we interviewed two guys yesterday (who carpooled) and one of our guys wanted to ask them these:

Asiatic Lily

Maya Rudolph.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    - If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

- Explain a situation where there was a conflict between you and a coworker where you could have handled the outcome better.
    (I never have an answer for this because I report every SERIOUS conflict to my supervisor because that's what I was taught to do. I explained that as an answer to the question once, and the interviewer was actually irritated I had never gotten in someone's face on the job. What?!)

Haha. I'm a peer interviewer at a hospital, we rotate through about 90 questions (5-6 questions per applicant). This is actually a great question, as we're looking to see if you are able to handle situations that are likely more personal in nature, rather than a work-related conflict. It's essentially a team-oriented question; are you comfortable confronting a co-worker you have an issue with?

Most people aren't, and I don't hold it against someone if their answer is that they report it to a supervisor/manager.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?

I'm ready for 99% of "real" interview questions and interview very well. But this one's hard because not only is it fairly inappropriate and irrelevant, but the only times I've been asked it was because the interviewer was a smoker and/or the company was very smoker-friendly.

I don't smoke...so I felt that I sounded like a bit of a goody goody or holier than thou by saying "no". I'm not going to say something like, "But I'm totally okay with it" because I think it's a terrible and dangerous habit. I just felt on the spot due to that question.

oops...

lol...nice.

One of my good friends is 34 and in grad school with a lot of people in their early to mid 20s and a bunch of them asked her if she wanted to smoke with them after the final and she was like "HUH?" and then realized later they meant like a little get-together...not cigarette smoking. She is a biology student, kind of a hippie-type, who looks younger than her age...and she used to partake before her 4 children came into the picture, so I am sure her confusion was a surprise to them :-)
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    "What would you say is your worst quality?"
    My answer: "Being overly detailed and organized."

Real answer: my anti-authority attitude.

Good god - I have a twin.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    Majority of ridiculous questions don't have a correct answer; they're looking for any answer not a (ummm...hahah...what?....oh...welll....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...let's see......uuuummmmmmmmmmm). The more creative that answer is the better, it goes a long way into reflecting your personality that the ho hum questions do not.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

If there were 10 of you, many many of you should we hire? (As in clones of the interviewee)

I chimed in with:

(We're an engineering firm lol)

I love these.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Can you please have a seat on the couch.

a76mDeC.png
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?

oops...
    This made me snort
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I hate it when they ask you if you're applying/interviewing anywhere else. I'm not really sure what the correct answer is for that.

There isn't one. This is one of those where they want to see what kind of person you are:

Do you lie/adapt to please your sup,
    or
    Do you tell the honest truth and own up?

Generally, honesty is the best policy always.

ETA: And this...
    You explain why this company is your ideal fit.

Not necessarily true. What many of these weird questions (especially the classics such as "what is your worst defect?") try to determine is if the candidate prepared for them. They want to see if, going to a stressful situation involving an opportunity, you will have prepared adequately.

No one really wants to know/should know what you like to do with peanut butter and puppies. Or that you cheat your romantic partners unstoppably. Or that you haven't filed taxes in 7 years. They just want to know if you're a good fit for the job - and as a candidate, it is your "job" to prepare for this by doing some research on the corporate culture there, main projects, main problems, etc.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    Do you smoke?

oops...

lol...nice.

One of my good friends is 34 and in grad school with a lot of people in their early to mid 20s and a bunch of them asked her if she wanted to smoke with them after the final and she was like "HUH?" and then realized later they meant like a little get-together...not cigarette smoking. She is a biology student, kind of a hippie-type, who looks younger than her age...and she used to partake before her 4 children came into the picture, so I am sure her confusion was a surprise to them :-)

Ironically, the answer would have been "No" to either of those smokes, at that time, but being the perfectionist, I wanted to know what I was answering to, still. haha
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Asiatic Lily

Maya Rudolph.

Okay but why are you an Asiatic Lily? *patiently waits for a response*
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I hate the "what are your weaknesses?" question. It's a whole lot of crock you either lie or don't answer. Therefore it's useless.

"I'm a perfectionist!" - That's not a weakness dumba**
    "I'm still gaining experience!" - Then you aren't qualified for the job!

Seriously. Stupid question.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    I hate the "what are your weaknesses?" question. It's a whole lot of crock you either lie or don't answer. Therefore it's useless.

"I'm a perfectionist!" - That's not a weakness dumba**
    "I'm still gaining experience!" - Then you aren't qualified for the job!

Seriously. Stupid question.

Easy. Chocolate.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    and quote, "Share when you most recently needed to work strategically and understand how issues impact the total environment."

I think I just crapped my pants.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    If you were gifted a purple elephant, what would you do with it?

Ride it. Duh.

Well, my priorities told me to paint the damn thing orange first, because I hate purple.

Okay, but why orange?
    Tell me what orange says about your personality.

Actually was asked this (simular) a long time ago in an interveiw as an Interface developer:

Answer: It depends not so much the color but more on if it is a work elephant or a racer.

If it is a work elephant: I would use it to assist me in all the heavy lifting the interface developer does.

If it was a racer: I would ride that puppy to work everday and I hope they had a place for me to park it.

Got the job
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Interview at a private school I was asked "are you a star?" and after giving her a blank look I said yes and when she asked why I said "Because this is a school and you probably think everyone is" lol I didn't get the job.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    and quote, "Share when you most recently needed to work strategically and understand how issues impact the total environment."

I think I just crapped my pants.

That's the how good are your linguistic gymnastics question, i.e., if you can't come up with a good answer then baffle them with bull****