Nutritional information...?

Options
Does anybody have a suggestion for where I can find good, generic, nutritional information for things that aren't in the MFP database? I just went out to eat this evening and the restaurant I went to didn't have any nutritional information listed on the menu or their Website. Yes, it was a cheat meal, but I'd still like to have a ballpark idea of what I consumed.

(I am proud of myself though. I ate half of my meal and packed the rest to go. I did order dessert... key lime cheesecake... totally decadant. I ate about 5 normal-sized bites and packed the rest to go. Before I started watching what I ate so closely, I would have devoured all of it at the restaurant and felt miserable all night. Hey, it's about taking baby steps in the right direction, right?)

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If I go somewhere that has no nutritional information, I just choose another restaurant of the same type of food (italian, mexican, chinese) and use theirs as a guesstimate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving

Calories 222.3

Total Fat 3.6 g

Saturated Fat 1.0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Cholesterol 10.0 mg

Sodium 493.8 mg

Potassium 62.7 mg

Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g

Dietary Fiber 0.5 g

Sugars 13.3 g

Protein 13.0 g

Vitamin A 23.8 %

Vitamin B-12 0.0 %

Vitamin B-6 0.0 %

Vitamin C 0.0 %

Vitamin D 5.0 %

Vitamin E 0.0 %

Calcium 35.0 %

Copper 0.0 %

Folate 0.0 %

Iron 2.2 %

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=19737
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I picked up a little Calorie King book that fits nicely in my purse and use it as a guide when necessary. It doesn't always have what I'm looking for but I can usually figure it out. :)
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I use the Calorie King book as well. Actually my endocrinologist gave it to me to help with tracking carbs but it works for this too.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do usually guestimate based on other restaurant's info in MFP, but I didn't see anything close to "deep fried aligator tail" in the database and I don't know what aligator is similar to with regard to nutritional info. I got caught up on that and didn't start looking for any of the other things that I ate.

Oh, and cmriverside, while that recipe for key lime pie sounds really good and I thank you for it, I can assure you that those numbers aren't even close to the ones in the piece I had tonight. There wasn't anything low-cal or low-fat about it. :blushing:
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    www.nutritiondata.com I've found it helpful
  • snobuny032
    Options
    I use Calorieking.com.. http://colorieking.com/

Hope that helps you
    Happy Holidays!
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If I go somewhere that has no nutritional information, I just choose another restaurant of the same type of food (italian, mexican, chinese) and use theirs as a guesstimate.

this is an excellent idea, great tip
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend :happy: I have found some odd nutritional information that way, or at least enough info I could "guestimate" the recipe used. For something like gator tail you might check cajun cooking websites.