Viet Banh Mi - Half or Whole?

Options
Hello!

My husband and are are pretty serious about calorie counting and have both done very well with MFP. It's a great bonding experience :)

We occasionally get a Pork Banh Mi sandwich from Vietnamese Restaurants and are not SO calorie conscious as to worry about the different Calorie options on MFP (~450-700 cal).

But my question is this -

Are the Calorie Counts for Banh Mi for a WHOLE (2 halves) of a sandwich - which is how they are served? Or just HALF?
I've googled this left and right and cannot find a straight answer. Half the sandwich is approx 5-6in. A whole would be 10-12in.

Thank You!

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a specific one of the results that come up with "Banh Mi", or about all of them, overall?

In the end, it may be something where you have go guess and hope you're close. That's just what happens when we try to input something that comes from non-chain restaurants. There's not always a guarantee that each restaurant will make everything the exact same way.

On top of that, there's no guarantee that whoever put the food into the database is using the same standard. If they buy from a place that only sells by the 6" half-sandwich, then their "sandwich" might be your "half sandwich".

Either way, I hope you'll be able to find the information you need. I know how frustrating it is to be trying your best but end up hindered by something outside your span of control.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I love banh mi...this makes me want to cry lol...because the best I've had is 6 hrs from me, and the city 1 hr away only has them occasionally at all of their Vietnamese places

But when I have had banh mi at probably six different places they were always served in 1 piece but pretty small, I'd say 6-8 inches long. Now I'm wondering if I've just been getting halves this entire time.

Sorry I wasn't much help. I think whatever I logged them at was around 570-650 cal
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Try logging the ingredients individually and over estimating to be safe
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    LOVE banh mi! I get these frequently in northern CA and the Seattle area and I've never been served one that's cut in half. It's always one piece so whenever I log, I just assume it's for a whole sandwich and not a half.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    LOVE banh mi! I get these frequently in northern CA and the Seattle area and I've never been served one that's cut in half. It's always one piece so whenever I log, I just assume it's for a whole sandwich and not a half.

same here.

i've never seen it cut in half except at the expensive, fancier places :laugh: i live in chinatown and get banh mi for $3 when i go somewhere else it's like 8! i assume the extra $5 is the cutting convenience fee
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

same here.

i've never seen it cut in half except at the expensive, fancier places :laugh: i live in chinatown and get banh mi for $3 when i go somewhere else it's like 8! i assume the extra $5 is the cutting convenience fee

LOL this is fantastic. In the Midwest it's usually between $4-7 for banh mi I get