Is it bad to work out at night?

Options
The past few days I have only had time to work out past 8pm. Is exercise less affective during certain hours of the day? Just curious.

Replies

• c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yeah Im this way too....especially during stressful weeks. I wouldnt worry too much, for me the major effect seems to be that its harder to settle down and meditate before going to sleep, I am more "wired" from working out late if that makes sense. I was never much a morning workout person though, and everybody is different :)
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I know a lot of people can't exercise too close to their bedtime b/c they can't fall asleep, but I don't seem to have this problem. I would guess that unless it gives you insomnia, it's probably okay to exercise in the evening, particularly if your schedule does not allow you to do so before work or at lunchtime, etc.

Good luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I almost always work out at night because that is when I have time. I have lost 34 pounds and a ton of inches in about 2 1/2 months, so I am going to say it is probably ok.
  • brat1076
    brat1076 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is only bad to not work out at all. If you have to get it in that late then get it in. You are moving that is what is important. I sometimes have to get my workout in that late. I am a Mother of two beautiful kids. I get them to bed and stuff done and ready for the next day. Study because I am in college and then do my workout when I get the time to get it in. The point is work out do it and make it challenging and you will be amazed.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not a bad thing, because I almost always work out past 10 p.m.! Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
  • ElenaRenee
    Options
    i'm not sure if it is procrastination or nocturnal tendencies but i always end up working out after 8 pm. I, as well find that i go to sleep later than usual because i have more energy from my workout. In theory it makes more sense to work out earlier to have more energy for the rest of the day, but I naturally do the opposite. Everyone is different. I hope my late night workouts are just as effective, i'm not sure. Would love to hear other's opinions on this too!
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a bunch of energy after i work out.. but i stay up late anyways.. morning have been an issue lately though.. and that's bad because i have a 4 month old daughter lol.
    She likes to get up early like we usually do.
    I haven't been these last couple days.
  • ElenaRenee
    Options
    wow 34 lbs. in 2.5 months, that is so great! congrats, that is very inspirational! @coryida
  • jabberjaws77
    jabberjaws77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think anytime you can fit it into your schedule.....is the best time!:tongue:
  • jabberjaws77
    jabberjaws77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 month old daughter & Ive actually been working out the last three nights past 9pm mainly because thats when I finally get time to myself, after dinner, when everyone is in bed & her daddy is here to take her off my hands.
  • nygal87
    Options
    I work out at night because I have a full time job and I am not a morning person, I've tried it but I'm not willing to wake up at 5am to go to the gym before work. And it's been working fine for me, I've been losing weight and has not bothered my sleep at all. I go late (9:30ish) close to closing time because there are less people and go to sleep within 30 mins of getting home after. I've also found I have way more energy working out at night rather than first thing in the morning.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    its when i work out, i think it only matters that you find what works for you
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when you can. I trained to run a half marathon and 90 percent of my runs were after 9:00 pm. It actually helped to get to sleep some nights. Other nights, i was wired awake. I've always been a bit of a night owl, so it usually works out ok for me to exercise at night. I have trouble getting up early (5:00 am) to work out, probably because i'm rarley in bed before 11:30pm.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    As far as I can figure, if you are moving, you are grooving!!! :o) Being active versus NO activity is better no matter what the time. I've done extensive research on it as the only time I used to be able to workout was at night.

You have your pros and cons. Cons would be you don't have the added benefit of using your workout as a way to boost your metabolism during the day. Working out before bed may get you all riled up and you may have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep...and sleep is of course VERY important!

As far as pros go, again, you are moving, you are working out. AND since you are going to sleep soon after your workout your muscles get the valuable rest they need right after a workout, and rest is the time your muscles grow.

SO! There ya have it hunny!! :o) Have fun with your me time!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I work out at night, too...no problem (except the neighbors might not like me rowing a 10k, if they can hear me). I'll usually eat a single-pack cottage cheese afterwards to help me sleep, and provide some good protein for muscle repair at the best time (while you sleep).
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As long as you get a workout in it shouldn't really matter what time it is. Every one is different. Some people work out more effectively in the morning, such as myself, or others do better at night such as my boyfriend. We used to try to run together at the track and both of us seem to have better work outs when we do it at our own "peak" time. It all depends on how you feel and what the effects are afterward. The only thing I can say about working out in the morning is that it boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day which might help you burn more calories easier.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    As long as you exercise, I don't think it matters. I prefer exercising at night though I rarely get to. Exercise is like a sleeping pill to me. A good workout at the gym, a protein drink immediately afterward and I'm ready to sleep! My husband is just the opposite so I usually end up going with him earlier in the day. Don't want to go without my fav workout buddy. :smile:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say about working out in the morning is that it boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day which might help you burn more calories easier.

I keep hearing this over and over again. Why does it only boost it during the day? Does it not increase your metabolism while you are sleeping too? Or does any metabolism boost you get from doing it in the evening shut down once you go to sleep?
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I exclusively workout at night and it hasn't effected my weight loss at all!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I exclusively workout at night and it hasn't effected my weight loss at all!

With 183 lbs lost I would most certainly agree!